Thread: Black Bear Weight?

Default Black Bear Weight?

I'm doing weight planning for a fly out black bear hunt this fall. Any idea what a mature hide and skull can weigh? I was planning on 100lbs and need to know if I would be covered. Thanks

Page 30 of the hunting regulations says 120#. I am assuming that boned meat and the hide. This is for a 350# live weight.

a hundred pounds is quite an over estimate.....it really depend how how close you skin it i suppose......i've fleshed 35-50 lbs off of hides that have been brought into my work...but after wards the hide might have weight 25-30 on a xl bear...the skull itself with the meat still on is probably another ten at the most...i'd say with a pretty close skinned hide and a skull with the meat on it your still gonna be under 50lbs...
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

before you leave the meat in the field, peel off some backstrap and throw it in a fry pan. Carry the fry pan and a small stove in your pack so its with you. You may find the weight of the hide and skull to be the least of your worries!

As long as the bear and meat smell good we plan on harvesting at least the back straps and hind quarters. I need some more pastrami and want to try IVM's new bear bacon. Thanks for the info, there are 3 of us and the weight limit is 1,150 lbs, so we'll just bring a light camp to make sure we can each get a bear.

Take the meat home guys! Seriously, spring bear is some of the best meat available. I'll put it up against deer, moose, etc. any day. It's great stuff, so plan on packing it out. I've been shooting them just for the meat for years, and I'm planning on canning some this year too. Even my wife likes the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by AKJOB View Post
    Take the meat home guys! Seriously, spring bear is some of the best meat available. I'll put it up against deer, moose, etc. any day. It's great stuff, so plan on packing it out. I've been shooting them just for the meat for years, and I'm planning on canning some this year too. Even my wife likes the stuff.
    My hunt is in the first week of October.

I have ate quite a few fall black bears. The were all excellent. They were all taken in the berries in an area with out a lot of fish. So I cannot comment on how they would be around salmon streams.