Thread: Trailer brake help needed

Default Trailer brake help needed

I am in the process of replacing all the disc brakes on my King triple axle trailer with stainless Kodiaks. The first axle went fine but the bleeding process made me suspect a leak.
    Started on the second axle today and discovered the rubber hose connecting the caliper to the metal brake line was rubbing on the trailer and abraded the hose enough to cause a leak.
    Anywhere around Anchorage I can have a piece of brake line made to match the one off the trailer? It is about 12 inches long.
    Tennessee

The Parker Store on International or AK Rubber on Old Seward are the places I would check first. However, I will bet if you took the hose you have to NAPA or Car Quest in ER they will have something that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
    The Parker Store on International or AK Rubber on Old Seward are the places I would check first. However, I will bet if you took the hose you have to NAPA or Car Quest in ER they will have something that will work.
    All true and very likely that NAPA will have a servicable replacement.

NAPA was a strike out. Looks like I'll have to make a trip to AK Rubber and hope they can make me one. It would happen on a Sat monring when all the good places are closed for the weekend, lol.
    Tennessee

I donít know if this information is helpful, but would it be possible to cut the tubing at the leak and just add a connector?

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    I donít know if this information is helpful, but would it be possible to cut the tubing at the leak and just add a connector?
    A brass union with hose clamps.......A way big TEMPORARY fix but can get you out of a jam. Or at least get you thru the rest of your project. NAPA on Dowling could not make that hose? hmmmm??? MAy be a brake line thing.

Went to NAPA in Eagle River, not Dowling. Not a biggie now, as long as AK Rubber can make one up tomorrow. On a side note, glad I decided to undertake this project. Was always leery of doing brake work but if you can change a tire and change your oil you can remove hubs, repack bearings, and install disc brakes on a trailer.

I did find a hose on Ebay the right length and with the correct sized thread fittings. But both fittings were male. Do they make a fitting that will convert one of the male ends to a female?
    Tennessee

Yes there are adapters for such but you should not need it. Bring the original hose to Ak Rubber with you, they will either remove the fittings from that hose and use to to build a new hose, or will have fittings in stock to build the hose if they do not have a complete setup on the shelf.

The hose from Ebay will hopefully become a spare. Cheap insurance for only $13 including shipping. Sometimes this remoteness of not being able to buy what we need when we need it is frustrating!
    Tennessee