Thread: Canoeing Eagle River

Default Canoeing Eagle River

Anybody know if Eagle River has enough water in it to put a canoe down it? I was thinking about the first weekend in May, but maybe I am jumping the gun.

there is a set of rips around the camp ground { Glen HW bridge} that can give you some problems it all depends on you skill an what type of canoe you will be useing , you can put in at the rangers shack an get out befor the bridge, I belive it is marked where to get out befor the rips
    spend a little time an scout it out, it is right around the camp ground, it is a good slow float need 2 cars there might be a pull out at the Highland road so you can miss the rips all together.

Can you put in upstream of the loop road and still avoid any rips. Was thinking of doing a day trip and possible overnighter. Road the bikes back to the south fork today and the water levels look real promising.

You can put in at the North Fork trailhead, and float to the ER loop bridge. Allow about 4 hours. It's worth carrying the boat to the main part of the river vs. putting in at the slough closer to the parking lot. If you put in at the slough, expect you'll be carrying the boat through shallow areas.

The river is pretty mellow at low levels, but keep an eye out for deadheads and sweepers. Our one trip many years ago in late May resulted in capsizing as we came around a bend and I hesitated picking a line around a dead head. We hit it amidship, next thing you know we were all in the water. We started late on a Sunday evening, too late, and I was just simply tired out and not paying attention. It took alot longer to get down the river than I'd estimated. The upside is we flipped right before the powerlines pass the river, and I'd put the cell phone i the drybag, so my wife was able to pick us up. We didn't have a change of close in a drybag, and it was starting to get chilly.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I have wanted to do this for the last year since we moved to Eagle River. If there is anyone that has done it before that wouldnt mind coming along let me know!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    You can put in at the North Fork trailhead, and float to the ER loop bridge. Allow about 4 hours. It's worth carrying the boat to the main part of the river vs. putting in at the slough closer to the parking lot. If you put in at the slough, expect you'll be carrying the boat through shallow areas.

The river is pretty mellow at low levels, but keep an eye out for deadheads and sweepers. Our one trip many years ago in late May resulted in capsizing as we came around a bend and I hesitated picking a line around a dead head. We hit it amidship, next thing you know we were all in the water. We started late on a Sunday evening, too late, and I was just simply tired out and not paying attention. It took alot longer to get down the river than I'd estimated. The upside is we flipped right before the powerlines pass the river, and I'd put the cell phone i the drybag, so my wife was able to pick us up. We didn't have a change of close in a drybag, and it was starting to get chilly.
    Thanks for the info Paul. Me and the wife will probably hit it this weakend, I picked up a black bear registration tag for that area so I'll tote my bow. Have you seen any bears along the river this time of year.

watch out for sweepers! spent some time hanging onto a tree in the middle of the river, lost the canoe, but no loss of life.

I think the black bears tend to be further back in the valley and on the hillsides. We saw several black bears when we hiked Crow Pass last fall.

You're more likely to see grizzlies along the river.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I live above the river and wandered down to the loop road takeout the other day. water is clear and low..

there's quite a bit of ice left on the banks but todays sunshine should make short work of those... I'm booked solid the next two weekends or i'd be joining you

I floated Eagle River from bridge to bridge last sunday in a packfaft, did a little butt scraping, but a canoe is a lot larger that the packraft and I think it would be alot work to stay off the rocks and a bit dragging. There is a snow/ice bridge that goes all the way across camp ground rapids.