Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piledriver Slough

Default Piledriver Slough

I'm not there (sigh) so I don't know fo-sho if the timing is right, but last year we tore them up about this time on the Piledriver. Take a canoe to the confluence of Piledriver and Moose Creek. They'll be against the far shore in the clearer Piledriver water, finning into the murk from Moose Creek. I distinctly remember standing on an ice shelf and catching the heck out of them. They'll be there for a bit (week or two?) before they disperse up Piledriver for the summer. If you time it right, it's pretty ridiculous...and a fun first outing! Copper Johns won the day last year...wish I was there - tight lines!

Attached is a fish called an Asp I believe...even in Iraq I gotta get my fish-on between missions...lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Live that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Show respect to all and grovel to none. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

Pretty awesome you can find time to fish over there. When I was at Balad there were some ponds on the south side of the base I always wondered about fishing. Never got the chance to do it though, we had a pretty ridiculous OPSTEMPO. Stay safe over there. You gonna make it back in time for summer fishing?
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Very true that things are slowing down over here...reckon that's a sign of the times. In 7 deployments since 9-11, I've never had this much free time. I WILL be back for some summer fishing, just not all of it. I'm going to take about a month off to terrorize the fish population. First on the agenda will be Valley Kings... I'm going to post reports for every adventure!
    "Live that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Show respect to all and grovel to none. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

Glad to hear it. Hope the valley kings actually show up this year. Might see you up there!
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

First thank you for your Service! Second nice to see you have a chance to fish while deployed in that part of the country. Back in the Day I was lucky enough to enjoy some fishing compliments of the USAF in Panama, Hondurs, El Salvador etc.... always nice to getter done TDY. That is not saying in compares to playing in the Sand over and over and over Nope I don't miss that at all.

Assuming you are planning for the Summer as stated check out the new regs concerning the Valley and its Kings www.adfg.alaska.gov they have changed the game a little and it is worth noting not to expand your access what so ever.

Stay safe!

Moose-O

Wow, hey thanks for the heads up...interesting changes. I hope it all works out. Last year's run was disappointing.

I've also caught some peacocks in Panama! That was a good time. Hooked a few oscars, too. Check out this pic of the upper chena near angel rocks. Things are opening up...

I asked my boys to send me pics so I can have me some good head-movies at night, lol...
    This was taken yesterday.

222267_199078180133443_100000937860211_484356_7594606_n.jpg

The culvert at Mile 34 is always a place I check out for early grayling action. I wonder how it looks....??????

I walked/waded a couple miles of Piledriver today throwing flies - beautiful out with 50+ deg and sunny. The water was crystal clear. I saw several dozen ducks but no fish. May be too early yet?
    2011 05 08 Piledriver Slough (9).jpg2011 05 08 Piledriver Slough (3).jpg

I was there on Friday and it was the same story - the water was like glass and I saw zero fish.

Here's a pic of the confluence taken 6 May.The water coming in hard-left is Moose Creek. The water coming in top-left is Piledriver. It all flows to the right and into the Tanana. Where you want to be is on that slim ice-pack on the opposite shore (canoe). The seam created by the clear water/dirty water confluence will have them stacked like salmon if the time is right. If not, keep checking the culverts at Eielson Farm Road...eventually they get up there in big numbers but it doesn't last...they will disperse throughout the creek as summer wears on.

Great info and thanks for the pic. May have to go out this weekend and see if they have stacked up yet.

I will be hitting PiledriverSlough on the way back from Quartz Lake,Maybe I will see you there
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Default First Grayling

AF EOD, took your advice and caught my first fish ever with a fly rod and it was my first grayling at that!! Awesome, Awesome time!

Terry
    IMG_0010.jpgIMG_0007.jpg

Congrats!!!!!!

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Very nice! Was that a Griffith's Gnat I saw? Very productive fly... Congrats to you! Can't wait to hear the sound of fly-line coming taut out of the water on a hook set...

Its about that time for the sping thaw feeding frenzy
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

I've been fishing Piledriver the past few days. It has been very productive. I started with an elk hair caddis based on all I've read about these fish and had several 4-6" dinks attack it with gusto. Seeing that the larger fish were disinterested, I went to a size 12 olive BH nymph. 2.5 hours and 50 fish later (no kidding), that nymph was a absolute mess, nothing more than a blob on a hook, but they were still hitting it! The following day I fished the same stretch and tried several different nymph patterns, including a snow cone chironomid blood worm, all of which caught fish. Size and color didn't seem to matter. I did notice that the most active fish were those stacked at the top of the holes, the "feeders" as I called them. Drifting a nymph off the ledge from the riffs into the hole was money. Any pattern dead drifted in this manner would get looks. The slack water fish at the bottom of the holes were tough to catch, as they just seemed content to fin in place and hang out.

Has anyone caught any rainbows out of piledriver yet or ever?

Not one rainbow in there as far as I can tell. According to ADF&G's website, rainbows haven't been planted in Piledriver since May 2006. From 2001-2006 all rainbows stocked there were triploid (sterile), so there's most likely no self sustaining population. With winters like these, I doubt they would carryover from year to year anyway. Would be nice, though......it sure has the look and feel of an Idaho or Montana mountain trout stream!

well according to Fish and game there are still Rainbows in there and they are the only keepable fish in piledriver slough besides the pike.

Interesting. Maybe a trout or two will show up in coming weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast