Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope for a sheep rifle

Default Scope for a sheep rifle

Hey,

What do you use for a scope on your sheep rifle? I've seen plenty of discussions on the sheep rifle, but not much on the scope. So what do you use and what is it's weight?

Leupold Vari-X II, 3-9 power. No idea on the weight. Basically, a good scope is a good scope, regardless of the targeted animal. Obviously you don't want anything too heavy for a sheep gun, but I wouldn't get too crazy about shaving an ounce or two with the scope at the expense of quality.

-Brian

Default leupold vari x ii 3-9

that is what i have on my rifle, been using it for 20 plus years. it works great - can't always say the same for the operator.

Default Leupold

I've gone with the Leupold 3-9 Ultralight. Its price is right in there and only at about 8.5 oz. I do shave off every ounce, it all adds up. I do give up some light with a smaller objective, noticable early morning and late night, but it hasn't been enough to bother me.

Thumbs up Leupold

Leupold Vari x II 3x9x40, with the long range reticle, what I have on my 270wsm sheep rifle,

Default Leupold

VX III 2.5-8 w/B&C reticle. Best balance of quality and lightweight I could find. Price was no object in my selection. Considered Swarovski, Zeiss, etc. but that little 2.5-8 seems to fit the bill perfectly.

I just got a screaming deal on a Leupold VX-II 3-9x33 Ultralight that I will be mounting on my A-Bolt 325WSM.I wanted the 2.5-8 which I have on another rifle but could not pass this deal up.

Default Sightron II

I was advised by an older hunting friend of mine, that I should not waist my money on the "name" and buy a Sightron scope. I'm very happy with mine! Do your research and get what you think is better, just remember sometimes you pay more for a well known name.
    Hunt not with a gun big enough for what you are hunting, hunt with a gun big enough for what may be hunting you!

Leupold 6.5 X 20 I do not carry a spotting scope away from camp-this serves me very well.

Neal

Default 2.5x8

Last year I used a Leupold 6.5 x 20, nice but to big. I have went back to my Leupold 2.5 x 8. I try and get as close to the sheep/goat/moose as I can, so my shots are not more than 200 yards.

Default sheep scope

I've been using the 3 x 9 compact Leupold for 20 years on all of my sheep rifles.....for a reason. I guess it is now called the Ultralight...same, same. Would have no prob recommending the 2.5 x 8 without a second thought. My son has put two of his rams in the record books with a 7mm Dakota and Leopold 1.75 x 6. His most recent ram was shot at 400 lasered yds - one shot kill. My recommendations would include an objective prob no bigger than 40mm - just don't need it for Aug/Sept sheep hunting in AK.

Default Change of pace

I went with the Burris Fullfield II 3-9 X 40. This is the third scope I have bought from them and I cant say enough about the quality and performance. Leupold is nice but the price tag is about $100 higher and it weighs almost the same about an ounce different. The Burris weighs 13 oz Leupold 12. I'm mounting it on a Kimber 84M in .308. With Talley Ultralight rings. I'm guessing it'll weigh in around 6 ish when all said and done.

Default Burris for me too

I own and use a bunch of Leupolds but the fullfield 3x9 is on my sheep rifle. I've banged it up pretty good with no issues. Try wholesale hunter and pick up the scope plus a set of binos or little spotter for $200

Default scopes.......

I'm a big fan of the 2.5-8 Leupolds. Its what I use on my sheep rifle. I find it to be a great blend of magnification and size. As far as weight goes my 2.5-8's average 11.6ozs while the 3-9x40 Leupolds average 11.8ozs so no real difference in weight. If your counting every ounce the compacts and 2-7 leupolds weigh 10ozs. Another place to cut some extra ozs is in your mounts. I've switched to Talley light weights for all my rifles. The ring and base are one soild machinend piece. A set of these weigh 2.2 ozs compared to a set of steel leupolds which weigh 4.8ozs.
    My sheep rifle.........
    Last edited by Finley; 03-06-2007 at 08:33.

VXIII 2.5-8x36 w/Talley Lightweights on my Kimber 325wsm. Shot a ram at 400 yds last year and moose at 350. Don't need anything any bigger.

I like the Big Glass! 3x12x56 (30mm) in a Kahles, I put the cross hairs on him then zoom in...just like a sniper!

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Thumbs up Same as Blackfoot

my comments exactly. Shot a mule deer at 375 yards in the neck and an elk in the back of the head at about 350 this year. Sheep, maybe someday but that's why I got the scope. BTW the elk shot was a follow-up after already hitting him. (just got lucky there).

Mines a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40. This year I went a step further and had Leupold slap an elevation turret on it for a little more long range accuracy.

This combo right here will be quite lethal fo sho!

Default Get a B&C Type Reticle

I too use a 2.5x8 VX III but not having a B&C type reticle tainted my hunt last year. I hit exactally where I aimed but misjudged the holdover and hit 3 inches high resulting in follow up shots and a difficult recovery. I had practiced at the distance shot but hunting conditions are MUCH different. No disrespect to Cub but I don't like big turrets on a backpack rifle scope so I'll be getting a scope with a B&C type reticle for my next hunt. A neoprene scope cover is a must also.

Alpine

Default Sheep Scope

I've settled on the 2.5-8x36 as the best all around scope. Plenty of glass and also light and trim. I like the standard duplex reticle. Tried the B&C but too many lines to worry about. Range the animal and holdover if you have to. You can get exited with the B&C system and use the wrong reticle! I have 2 buddies that this happenend to and they switched back. Same idea for those who put 5 sight pins on their bow - too much information - especially when you're prone to be exicted.
    I know Ak. Cub likes extended turrets but they ruin the lines of the rifle, get in the way - especially the windage turret. But its a free Country last I checked!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast