Thread: question about waders

Default question about waders

Are felt bottom boots now illegal now ? Thanks

Every where in the state by Jan 1 2012. Some of the south east I believe started already.

Legal statewide until Jan 1, 2012.

So if a fellow was in the market for some waders for fishing on the Kenai, what would you recommend?

get a pair that will last you more than one season a good pair cost a lot of money today

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    get a pair that will last you more than one season a good pair cost a lot of money today
    It also depends on how many days a year you plan on being on the river. If you only fish a couple times a year a pair of $70 Frog Togs ought to work. You can burn through quite a few before you spent Simms money. For me the boots are more important.

Quote Originally Posted by bullspit View Post
    So if a fellow was in the market for some waders for fishing on the Kenai, what would you recommend?
    Planned use: do you plan to be in the water wading a lot, or mostly just getting in/out of a boat? Expecting to use them for many seasons?

From your prior posts, looks like you come to AK regularly. If you're inclined to invest in a good pair - I think any of the local fly shops will have good gear and good advice.

Good luck.

Ive personally been looking at some of the higher end Korkers. They are comfortable and have replaceable/interchangeable soles.

Yes, actually last year at this time I thought I was going to get to move close to Alaska (Juneau but that didn't work out. I plan to do more wading than climbing in and out of boats. Good suggestion to check local shops. Any suggestions about what to look for? I've considered rubber, neoprene, etc. I figure built in boots as well.

Breathable and no to the built in boots IMO. Good wading boots will save your feet and back. If your mostly fishing and hiking up and down the banks you want something comfortable. Neoprene is good when it is really cold and you ain't moving. I will never buy neoprenes again though. I'm surprised they still make rubber waders. I guess resistance to abrasion would be a plus but they have no other redeeming qualities that I can see.

Breathables and boots, buy rubber soles now so you don't have to next year. Simms all the way, most durable out there, and the best customer service. You don't have to break the bank to get a good pair of waders, I got my Simms L2 waders for $175.00, I'll buy G4's when i'm rich!
    -J

Couldn't recommend Simms high enough if you are interested in paying over $200 for a pair of waders. Great product and their reputation is deserved. Customer service was outstanding. Ordered custom sized G4's and they were tight, was flying to SE Alaska 3 days later (last May), they made me a pair and somehow got them from Montana to North Carolina one hour before we drove up to DC for our flight to Ketchikan. Didn't charge me a dime except shipping. Told me to have a good trip and mail the other waders back when I got home. Upon doing so, I sent them an email thanking them. They simply asked if I had a nice trip and did I catch any fish. Simms fan? Yep.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default No

Quote Originally Posted by chobbs View Post
    Are felt bottom boots now illegal now ? Thanks
    No, as previously stated, that's next year. And only if you are fishing. If you are hunting, working, or doing anything else, felt will continue to be perfectly legal.

Korkers has just come out with some sort of wading shoe with soles akin to scrubbing pad material - called "svelt". I haven't seen it except in rags on new products, but the rags say it's better than felt and absorbs less water (for anyone who believes that the residual water in felt is the cause of anything - and I'm not one of them).

I do know that rubber, without maximum studs, is useless - as it always has been. That sticky rubber shtick is a bad joke (and that line was another bad joke). Regardless, it doesn't work, so bring studs, and don't stand up in an inflatable in them.

BTW I do have rubber/studded as well as felt/studded, and I'm gonna bring my felts to AK this one last time this yr. Been there without them. I know better.