Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Campgrounds with WiFi

Default Campgrounds with WiFi

I'm looking for campgrounds along the Glenn, Parks, Richardson, Sterling & Seward highways that have wifi access. I'm teaching a class online this summer and need to have a wifi connection.

I know that King for a Day on the Klutina River has wifi as does Tolsona Campground (along the Glenn before the Lake Louise cut off). I have a 26' motorhome and want to find some areas to camp, fish and/or ride atvs or run the boat and have access to be online occasionally.

I'd appreciate any info about any wifi campgrounds literally between Homer & Fairbanks/Delta Junction/Tok and Seward and Valdez.

Thought I'd ask here as I begin my research this weekend. Thanks!

Tim

just get your own mifi if your gonna be a 24/7 365 nerd
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    just get your own mifi if your gonna be a 24/7 365 nerd
    Thats some good stuff!!!Isn't what most pepole go outdoors for is to get away from the grind? I'm a work aholic but dang,you need some time to your self.I guess that's what they make 26ft' campers for.

Yep nothing like the greAt outdoors when you have a mansion on wheels. Its hard roughing it with heat,AC, tv, leather couches and queen beds...... [/end sarcasm]

*****holes, help out or butt out. I didn't post-up to be ridiculed by you "tough guys." Crist, you ruined the thread in 3-4 posts. Sheesh.

I want to camp, hunt, fish and be gone for 2-3 weeks, but I need to know where I can pick up wifi OCCASIONALLY. Geesh. Thanks for the "help," surviorvman.

Appreciate the mifi recommendation, GT; at least I got one useful piece of info.

Tim

I found this list it might help you

Anchorage
    Golden Nugget Camper Park - 4100 DeBarr Rd

Border City
    Border City Lodge & RV Park -Mile 1225 Alaska Hwy - (907) 774-2205

Chicken
    Chicken Gold Camp & Outpost - Chicken Loop Rd.

Denali
    Denali Park RV and motel - Mile post 245 Park Hwy

Fairbanks
    Chena Marina RV Park & Resort - 1145 Shypoke Drive - 907-479-4653

Glacier View
    Grand View RV Park - Mile 109 Glenn Hwy - 907 746 4480

Glennallen
    Northern Nights RV Campground - some sites and in internet center - MM 188.7 Glenn Highway

Homer
    A Fisherman's Resort RV Park - 1302 Ocean Drive - (208) 651-4700

Kasilof
    Kasilof RV Park - Mile 111 Sterling Hwy

Seward
    Bear Creek RV Park - 33508 Lincoln St

Soldotna
    Diamond M Ranch RV Park - 907-283-9424

Talkeetna
    Talkeetna Campground - 907-733-2693

Tok
    Sourdough Campground - (907) 883-5543
    Tundra RV Park - in reception area and lounge - (907) 883-7875

Watson Lake
    Watson Lake Tags RV Park - Alaska Hwy - 867 536 7422 - Yukon Teritory

U mite keep in mind, many coffee shops, most libraries, Fred Meyers-Safeway and other stores have coffee shps that have wifi. I often sit in the lots outside of libraries w laptop and can get it. Glennallen, Valdez for example.

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    U mite keep in mind, many coffee shops, most libraries, Fred Meyers-Safeway and other stores have coffee shps that have wifi. I often sit in the lots outside of libraries w laptop and can get it. Glennallen, Valdez for example.
    Yep, I often use Wildman's and Troutfitters in Cooper Landing and the Laundromat in Soldotna on the Kenai Spur HWY.

That's why its good to have a small inverter in your car so you can just do ones business sitting in the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    Thats some good stuff!!!Isn't what most pepole go outdoors for is to get away from the grind? I'm a work aholic but dang,you need some time to your self.I guess that's what they make 26ft' campers for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Yep nothing like the greAt outdoors when you have a mansion on wheels. Its hard roughing it with heat,AC, tv, leather couches and queen beds...... [/end sarcasm]
    You guys are missing the point. He's working, but trying to figure out a way to do so while also being able to fish, ride atvs, etc. I'd say hats off to the man, as he's finding a way to spend more time outdoors! Most all of us have jobs, but how great would it be to be able to do that work while also getting outdoors more than we would be able to otherwise. He's not worried about being able to check facebook or even the forums, but about being able to be outdoors more.

Wish I had a good suggestion for you, Tim. I hope you find a good way to make it work so that you can be out there more.

well i have the mifi and it works great, anywhere u get a phone signal u get internet. im always on here because of my mifi. but i try to not be to much of a nerd.
    Semper Fi!

I know that greythorn will scream but I use my android as a wifi tether, I.E. just like his mifi.

Quote Originally Posted by kantill View Post
    I know that greythorn will scream but I use my android as a wifi tether, I.E. just like his mifi.

i would but seriously tho i heard on the radio ACS said if your by a MIFI this week you get a free pocket protector and all the startrek movies on dvd for free for a limited time. U BETTER HURRY down there quick.
    Semper Fi!

I'll pass and just keep my android

My experience is that the camp grounds usually have a slow connection and lousy wifi setup. My relatives could not even check their email over the wifi, while I had over a 1 meg connection in Valdez with my Android phone on ACS.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

I have WiFi in my campground and its only as fast as how many users I have at any one time. or who blocks the other guy out with a motor home etc...
    I put actual Cat5 plug ins in my cabins and apartments, so folks get the best speed possible. I also have direct plug in at the store for those that want to sit at the desk and use their laptop that way..
    The campground signal is always a problem, as line of sight is how the signal is sent.
    A guy will be getting full bars one day and then a motor home pulls in between he and the transmitter and he gets almost nothing.
    I hired an outfit in soldotna this winter to come give me a bid on making my campground complete coverage no matter what.
    As soon as the check comes from selling my oldest child to a human traffic outfit from Russia, I might be able to promise a perfect signal..
    I did position my repeaters at places like the laundry and showers area, the parking area near the store, and then two down in the park at strategic places,, but alas.. its never perfect..
    I am down on the kenai peninsula in Sterling at mile post 84.
    One thing that is funny is how many people driving down the road will pull into my driveway and sit there for sometimes hours in there rental car, or motor home, using the internet. At first I used to not realize what they were doing and a few times went out to see if they needed some help etc. Sometimes they acted all nervous.. like they were being caught doing something wrong.... I have no problem with folks that want to stop and use the internet. I have two signals. one is without any password and open to who ever, and the other is password protected...
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Thanks power drifter, cod, canoe, chuck, and others. I appreciate the help. Like I said, I just need to know where I need to get to in order to check in and "work." Looks like my real issue is that I'll need internet July 14-24 when my dad is here wanting to fish the Kenai while I'll be closing our grades for online summer school.

I think I'm going to look into mifi (and others) and keep a handy list of campgrounds/places with wifi.

Thanks again.

Tim

I have a Verizon Mifi and does well up here. As long as there is cell service you have internet. $ 50 / month. Was told Verizon should have their own towers/stores up here pretty soon.

oh yeah, Virgin Mobile Mifi Sucks compared to the Verizon one.

I read that Verizon was planning on putting up 4G, at least in some areas of AK. With Verizon that would mean LTE technology. Oddly,I never heard anything about them putting the now "old tech" 3G in their new towers, although they might. Anyone know if they will?

If not this might end up causing some incompatibility issues using Verizon's 4G MiFi in the many areas of AK where only ACSAlaska has coverage. I assume Verizon & ACSAlaska will continue their free roaming on each others networks for 3G, but does anyone know this? Also, does anyone know if ACSAlaska has any intention of putting up their own LTE system soon, or might they just mooch off of Verizon's system when it gets here?

All of this would make me pause when considering a new wireless device.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast