Thread: the best premium ammunition?

Default the best premium ammunition?

Most of the people I have hunted with have lived up here from the 40's and 50's and some a generation before. I have always been a balistics junkie and read everything about guns and bullets that I could get my hands on. I have noticed one simple fact over the last 30 years that I have been hunting animals. The older generations always smiled and nodded there heads when I told them I had the newest and greatest bullets loaded up for the hunt. I expounded on the speed, penetration, expansion, and deadliness of each new magic bullet or load I had found.

These are my findings of their experiment with me. They take one or rarely 2 shots to kill an animal. I took 1-5 shots to do the same thing. The bullets I used ranged from Partitions, A frames, Failsafes, and X bullets. (oh and corelokts and silvertips when I was a kid and didn't shoot) I have shot a .338 win mag to take my animals. They use .270s, 30.06, and 7mm mags. They use corelokts, silvertips, or what ever was cheapest at the time.
    Their shot to drop ratio was better than mine with shot placement being equal (heart and lung). Although I did shoot through a moose lengthwise with a failsafe once when I was young!

My sons moose last year, shot with a 30-30, died with 1 heart/destroyed lung shot. That experience brought to light the fact that I might be a bit overgunned for anything but the most extreme circumstance outside of a guide dealing with a wounded Brown bear. I knew it for years but the "pitiful" 30-30 put everything in perspective. Sure I made him use the Hornady leverevolution, but look at the balistics!

I will continue to use my .338 as I love the rifle and round and I get quarter sized groups at 100 yards. But maybe "better" expanding ammunition at a cheaper price is my future.

For what it is worth,

Dan
    It is nice to know that there are "ALASKANS" out there, no matter where they live.

Quote Originally Posted by Father of 2 View Post
    My sons moose last year, shot with a 30-30, died with 1 heart/destroyed lung shot. That experience brought to light the fact that I might be a bit overgunned for anything but the most extreme circumstance outside of a guide dealing with a wounded Brown bear. I knew it for years but the "pitiful" 30-30 put everything in perspective.

I will continue to use my .338 as I love the rifle and round and I get quarter sized groups at 100 yards.
    That very sorta thang iswhy I use the Rifle combo I have, and will contenue to use it till is shot out or off..... Accuracy and cheap ammo ROCK!

Blowing holes through the Heart, Good placement.
    Its all about Placement , 'cause Accuracy is where it's at
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Simply put, placement trumps all else. Smaller animals usually do not need a premium bullet to get into and through the heart/lung area. If you can shoot the 338WM class cartridge well, stay with it. If you are intimidated by it, move down to something you can shoot. Premium bullets have raised the bar for "lesser" cartridges and given them new credibility. You have to balance marketing hype with real world experience.