Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large Big Game 300Win Mag Loads

Default Large Big Game 300Win Mag Loads

Monday along with shooting my .303 and trying my loads out, I will also be trying out my Big Game Load for my 300Win Mag starting with the 220gr Seirra RN and then I will be working with the 220gr Semi Point RN Partition.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Right off the bat, I'd say that second picture's scenario would call for a .470 Capstick instead of a .30 of any kind!!!!

Keep us posted, my favorite rifle's my .300 Win Mag. I look forward to your postings.

Yeah, I am hoping I have my load stuff together so I have velocity and accuracy, we will see this coming Thursday for the 300Win Mag.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Haven't done it myself, but I load for a buddy that wanders the world for critters big and small. He tried lots of calibers, but about 30 years ago settled on the 300 for everything it was legal to use it on. The load he's settled on for everything is the 200 grain partition. Big cats and bears to dikdik or tommies.

Funny because he spends so much on his hunts, but he's as cheap as they come. He was using a premium (Federal?) loaded with them, but griped about the cost. That's how I got roped into loading for him. It' churning 2940 on average from his rifle, with a load of IMR-4350 right out of the Nosler manual. I keep suggesting a venture into RL's or something new, but like I said, he's cheap. We're still working on the 8-pounder of 4350 I bought about 10 years ago, and that's a long ways from being used up.

I have about a box and half of Barnes 250 grain roundnose originals. Have a few loaded up, from the Barnes loading manual there going about 2500ps. Ive never used them on anything but paper but would imagine they would be quite the brown bear load.

The 200gr in a 300Win Mag is an Awesome killer. I just like heavy for caliber bullets, always been partial to them, they seem to work so well for most of the hunting distance I encounter and they do have authority. I have to reach out with my 300Win mag it is on game that makes since to shoot at longer ranges like medium size big game and I use a 180gr TTSX for that or a 165gr on smaller big game like whitetails when I have shots in bean fields. Otherwise, I like the big boys in my rifles.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1 View Post
    I have about a box and half of Barnes 250 grain roundnose originals. Have a few loaded up, from the Barnes loading manual there going about 2500ps. Ive never used them on anything but paper but would imagine they would be quite the brown bear load.
    Would you like to sell them to me???
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Would you like to sell them to me???
    If he won't sell them, Hawk Bullets makes them. From all I've seen in using the orginals and recently the Hawks, they identical in build. Hawk is the best source I know for heavies in all calibers.

You know, I forgot about Hawk bullets, hadn't given them a thought in a few years now. Yes, they do make the heavies.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Take a look at their 300-grain .358's while you're there. I haven't shot anything with them, but they're sure fun to launch. Same for the 300-grain .338's!! I did smack an elk with one a few years back, and far as I know that bullet is still going---- after leaving a 2" exit!

While IMR 4350 is a good powder in and of itself.....a couple of years ago I switched up to RL-22 and with my factory Remington 700 in .300 Win Mag it shoots sub MOA with 180 Nosler Partitions(if I do my part correctly!

Yes, mine using MRP (and it is not the same a RL-22 I have written Norma and they told me it is not the same) gives me 1/2" and under MOA out of my Savage 116FHSS using 180gr TTSX's.

Five shot group at 100yds
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Yes BrownBear, I will be looking at their bullets once again. Thanks for jogging my memory and reminding me.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Doesnt Woodleigh make a 240 grain bullet for .30 caliber also.

Yes, and it is rated at 30-06 velocities and was made specifically for the 30-06. At close ranges of 20-60yds hitting something really tough and big with that bullet coming out of a 300Win Mag or 300Wby it will open up a little to much. I have used it in both my 300Win Mag and 300Wby in test media and I am of the impression it should be used in the 30-06 for best results as Woodleigh will tell you the same thing. Now don't get me wrong it would be a devastating killer and it is still an option for black timber on elk, black bear and such.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Have decided to test the 220gr Hawk RN also.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Ive yet to be able to stop a 168gr TSX out of my 300 RUM. I'd wager it will outpenetrate any cup/core 220gr bullet out of a 300. Your 180gr TSX load will probalby work better at any range than a 220gr sierra or Nosler on any big game.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    Ive yet to be able to stop a 168gr TSX out of my 300 RUM. I'd wager it will outpenetrate any cup/core 220gr bullet out of a 300. Your 180gr TSX load will probalby work better at any range than a 220gr sierra or Nosler on any big game.
    Have never found a 220gr Partition in any animal I have taken so far. I have used both the Barnes and the Partition on hunts taking game. The TSX will not out preform the heavy Partition. Even on test I have conducted and posted on shooting hard plastic gallon containers the 220 Partition will out penetrate the 180gr TTSX at 75yds. The TTSX will penetrate 7 jugs and stick in the front of the 8th jug and the 220 partition will go through 8 of them being found just inside the 9th. You want to use the TTSX on dangerous big game up close you go a head but I won't. I will use the 220gr Partition, 220gr Hawk or the Hydrostatically Stabilised Woodleigh.

You know I have the Barnes video also, but interestingly those are all fairly long shots and certainly not up close on dangerous game. But more than watching the video where they got to pick and choose their shots for the video, I have been in the field and I know what I have experienced. You like them, great, I like the barnes also and use the 180g for long shots on deer and hogs but up close I decline, I will use the heavier Partition, Hawk or Woodleigh. Great we have choices because I would hate to have to be stuck with only Barnes TTSX's to use.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Oh, my initial impact momentum is much greater with the Heavy bullet and I want that when up close as well as a devastating result of immediate wound explosiveness to really disorient big dangerous game when up close and the 220 Partition will do that. If I am going to use a 30 caliber which I will, I want the heavy bullet when in black timber or thick stuff or average hunting shots.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Just curious, what kind of big dangerous game do you have running around Picayune, MS?? Aside from the occasional zoo escapee, or group milk jug invasion you probalby don't have much to worry about. I've seen a lot of bullets used on BIG game, mostly moose and know that the TSX even in lighter bullet penetrates more than any of the cup/core bullets. My one good buddy hunts with 200gr Partitions in a 300 win mag and we have found several of his bullets, I've yet to stop a TSX in an animal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast