Thread: Opinions on these guys please...

Default Opinions on these guys please...

I'm leaning pretty hard twords booking a caribou hunt (unguided) with Wilderness Charters & Guiding, Inc. for this fall. They hunt in Unit 23, which I believe is a 2-caribou unit.

The AK hunting regs are hard to decipher!

Anyways, from their web site and by talking to them they seem like a pretty reputable outfit.

Your comments are appreciated.

CarlVharters and Guiding, Inc.Alaska Wilderness Charters and Guiding, Inc.

Hey Carl-

Checked with my guide friend and he doesn't know the outfit. I have nothing other than that.

Good luck

Neal

i've heard the name before. one thing to watch for whenever you have a guide who also transports...which i belive is what they do. You can bet you won't be the the place he wants his clients to be...clients will be priority number 1, DIY hunters will be in the number 2 place. Also some guides figured out that if they transport hunters they get to scout more areas without having to risk paying clients hunts, and they can regulate where some of the DIY hunters go. Who knows he may have an awesome place and plenty of room for everyone, i couldn't tell you ,must some food for thought and maybe some questions you might wanna ask....
    if i was gonna book with them, i'd call references for his guided caribou hunters and unguided...just to see what he's telling both of them and see how similar it is...
    something to think about, and not all guides that transport do this...just somethign to watch for as the possibility is there.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by CarlV View Post
    I'm leaning pretty hard twords booking a caribou hunt (unguided) with Wilderness Charters & Guiding, Inc. for this fall. They hunt in Unit 23, which I believe is a 2-caribou unit.

The AK hunting regs are hard to decipher!

Anyways, from their web site and by talking to them they seem like a pretty reputable outfit.

Your comments are appreciated.

CarlVharters and Guiding, Inc.Alaska Wilderness Charters and Guiding, Inc.
    I don't know how to change the colors in the text, but find it odd that the company Carl is asking about is in his signature line...

If you can't see it in the quote above, highlight his name and continue the highlight all the way across the screen.

Just strikes me as odd, that's all.

Good catch Phillip. Carl, I hope the advertising works well for you. By the way, it would be nice if you could answer Hammer and Brown bears questions.

Quote Originally Posted by kcedar View Post
    Good catch Phillip. Carl, I hope the advertising works well for you.
    In my wildest dreams! I was trying to cut and paste their name from their web sight and didn't think it was working. I guess it did only in white. You surely are quick to "point and shoot", aren't you.

By the way, it would be nice if you could answer Hammer and Brown bears questions.
    Didn't see Neal or BB asking any questions, but if they had some about hunting in Upper Michigan, I surely would try.

Thank you for the tips on checking this outfit out. Much appreciated.

well either way no problem CarlV

good eyes Dphillip, i read your post and thougth you were on crack till i tried it...pretty cool..little dectective going here.
    Master guide 212

Default Ready Fire Aim!

Hey guys! What questions did Carl not answer? Maybe I'm just a little slow today??

Tim

Carl Buddy

Are you sure these guys exist. Can't find anyone that has anything to say.
    Retired Police Officer and I did not even see your advertisement line!
    Now how long have you been asking me to help you out with this hunt?

Will continue to contact buddies and see what turns up.

Neal

Thanks Neal.

I did talk to the owner of AK Wilderness charters and guiding, Brad Saalsaa, today. At least that's who he said he was when he answered the phone.

Says he has an agreement with a business partner that does the flying charter for him. This guy has a "permit" or license or something that allows him to take hunters into the Noatak Preserve. He told me that he isn't allowed to conduct guided hunts in the Noatak Preserve.

I really don't have enough info on hunting AK to have a educated opinion, but it seems that we could be paying over $2k just for the use of his camping stuff. Everything else is extra. Don't know if that is normal or not for up there???

It ain't easy to plan a hunt from down here in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan!

Carl

it all sounds cheap when you first glance at the numbers, but once you add it all up you'll be paying a several grand, by the time your done it'll be close to the price for a guided caribou hunt. give or take a few hundred.
    just seems to be how it goes..the farhter away and more secluded you want to be the more it will cost.
    Master guide 212

I used this service in September of 07. All I'll say is be careful of who you use. Don't let pretty web sites lead you in the wrong direction.

Default Caribou limit

Carl,

I believe the area you are talking about has a one-bull limit for non-resident hunters, not the two-bull limit you were thinking.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Site

Is this their site?
    http://www.weguidealaska.com/

Never heard of them before. I'm no expert and haven't been there but are you trying to hunt GMU 23 out of Kotzebue? I think you've got quite a few options for $3,150-$3,750 for 1-2 caribou; maybe I'm wrong though, it looks like an outfitted hunt including tents, cots, cooking equipment, etc...

Start by checking references like BRWNBR said, that's a start. Maybe Northwestalska (Walt, I believe) has heard of them, he lives in Kotzebue and outfits hunts (gear-and suggestions/advice on where to go). Good luck hunt planning. Are you planning for '08 or '09?

Tim

PS: you guys (myself included) watch too much Court TV! Sounds like an honest mistake CarlV.

Mike is absolutely correct (did I say that? ) Page 97 of the 07-08 reg book states all of Unit 23 is one caribou total for nonresidents, either bull or cow.
    If they told you its two caribou theen I would be a little suspisious.

Default Not Guides in Noatal Nat Park

Ask questions!

They are not listed as guides in the Noatak National Preserve but they to transporter work. They could be guides on BLM or Fish and Wildlife land. A good rule of thumb is get everything in writing and know where you will be dropped up front, don’t rely on the old phrase “We will put you down in front the herd” This is a red flag.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

Getting it writing from them doesn't seem to matter much. I used him last year and won't use him again. Send me a private message if you want all of the bloody details.

Default compare

Carl,
    I know it seems hard to research but there is a lot of archived info on bou hunting here.
    I would talk to more then one guide/oufitter/ etc... & compare prices & services offered. If you can't understand what they are saying asking them to clarify it.
    The 1st place I would start is with 2 of the people that responded to your inquiry in this thread,as they both have valuable information that could help you.
    Mike is a guide & offers hunt planning services, & Walt is an outfitter that lives in the area that you want to go. Both can provide you with help are looking for.
    The info is there you just need to make it work for you.