Thread: Question/problem with oil bath hubs on EZ Loader

Default Question/problem with oil bath hubs on EZ Loader

I'd like to take a look at the wheel bearings on my EZ Loader trailer. It has the Reliable brand oil bath hubs. Owner's manual says how to change out the oil, but not service the bearings. From what I've found on the internet, if you have the all-plastic older style hub covers, then they can be unscrewed to access the bearings and then just screw them back in. For the newer aluminum covers, if you remove them then you have to purchase a new one and it has to be pressed in. Are you kidding me? Anyone have any experience with this?

I have both, had plastic and then replaced a couple with the aluminum but they just threaded on.

Are these the same?
    00000008.jpg

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?s...view_album.php

If so I posted detailed instructions above with pictures on how to service them, not really that hard. Dewey's is the EZ Loader dealer in town; I picked up new seals there, cost me less than $10 to do a total service on all 4 wheels.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

My aluminum caps are threaded also, if you remove them be sure to check the o-ring seal.

Yes, those are the ones. The oil in mine is looking a little milky. Thought about just changing out the oil but even though the trailer is only about 5 years old I might as well look at the bearings and races. Good writeup. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Are these the same?
    00000008.jpg

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?s...view_album.php

If so I posted detailed instructions above with pictures on how to service them, not really that hard. Dewey's is the EZ Loader dealer in town; I picked up new seals there, cost me less than $10 to do a total service on all 4 wheels.

Well, went to Dewey's today thinking that they would have the bearings, races, etc. in stock. My mistake. They don't carry any of that stuff in house but can order it from EZ Loader (as can I). Went to TrailerCraft but they can't use my trailer model and/or serial number to look up the parts. Suggested Six Roblees but they are closed weekends. Guess I'll pull the parts from one wheel this weekend and run down to Six Roblees next week.

Got my bearings and races at Six Roblees yesterday. Good thing I didn't remove the seal from the one hub that I'd taken off the trailer because Six Roblees didn't have the seals in stock and neither did Alaska Bearing, so they're have to be ordered. That would have put my trailer out of commission for a few days. For the one hub I removed, I at least (for now) changed out the front bearing. Been running the trailer for 5 years and the front bearing and race looked like new, but I figured might as well put in a new bearing since I had a bag full I'd just purchased. I filled the hub with oil through the little hole and because the oil was room temperature, this didn't take long at all. One thing I also did was to replace my brake pads. If I hadn't taken the caliper off the rotor, I wouldn't have known that one of the pads had separated from the plate that it was originally fastened to. The caliper and brake pads are Kodiak brand. I don't know if I should have expected them to be that badly rusted. Now I will have to check the pads on the other 3 wheels as I'm sure they're shot, too. Thanks again breausaw for the photos.

Kodiak has a life time warranty on the pads if they were originally installed by a "professional".
    You can read about it on their web site, might save you some $coinage.
    Peyton, Colorado

From what I've read, Kodiak's warranty on pads does not cover corrosion. But that's what I read on another forum and do not know if it is correct. I got my pads from O'Reilly. They said they have a lifetime warranty. I said they would be on a boat trailer and in saltwater. Then he told me the warranty was only for manufacturer defect and not use, corrosion, etc.

The seals that I got from 6-roblees are different from the factory seals, they're metal with a rubber seal insert. They go in the same and work fine but you need to use some permatex or rtv on the metal to metal to keep them from leaking. The ones that breausaw used look like a higher quality seal. I would try to get that type if I could.

Six Roblees ordered some of the seals and set aside a few for me to purchase. Hopefully they are the same as factory. I took in the hub with the seal and let him see what it looked like and he wrote down the part number that was on the seal. We'll see what shows up.