Thread: Bear Load 225gr Accubond .358Win

Default Bear Load 225gr Accubond .358Win

Doing a little tweaking with my Bear Load for this Fall. Will be trying next Thursday different loads of TAC and H4895 - trying to stay over 2500fps but accomplish better accuracy.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have also decided to test the 225gr Hawk RN
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    I have also decided to test the 225gr Hawk RN
    I'm interested in your results with the Hawk. I have wanted to try it in my .358 Norma. The Accubond has been my go to bullet thus far, but a couple of odd performances have led me to want to try something else.

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    I'm interested in your results with the Hawk. I have wanted to try it in my .358 Norma. The Accubond has been my go to bullet thus far, but a couple of odd performances have led me to want to try something else.
    I had the same experience with the 180gr Accubonds in my 300Win Mag. They work great in my 358Win and I think that is due to lower velocities. I am also very interested in trying the Hawk not only in my 358Win but also the 220gr in my 300Win Mag. I have hunted with the 165gr Hawk in my 30-06 on deer and it preformed very well. Will be interesting to see.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Let us know which jacket thickness your testing? I like the hawk and need a fast expander for deer yet one that will stay togeter. I was looking at two diffent 225 grainers with different jackets, I think the make at lest three. And their small round nose profile is another feacher I like. Same price as partitions just need to order 200-300 as to not run out of a good thing once desided on.

I will be shooting some AA2230/225gr partitions loads (work up loads) The AA2230 has higher listed velocities than othe Western powders. I figure I take Johan's advise as to what powder they make thats best for the 358Win. I get great Velcity with H322 and I am not pushing the pressure at all 2430fps with listed max and 225gr bullets. Mines a 20.5" barrel.

Good velocities with a 20 inch barrel indeed. I get 2556 with 225gr Accubond, don't know what I will get with the 225gr Hawk (which will be 9 weeks since they ran out) but ordered the 250gr RN and should push it at 2350+, I have a 22" barrel.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I gotta be carful here because although I had a very long history with the original Barnes, the Hawk is "essentially" the same bullet in terms of materials. That said, I always had great luck with those Barnes at less than 3000 fps MV from close up to far away.

I've shot one moose and a couple of elk with the Hawk in 375 and 338, but for the life of me I can't remember which bullets in each. Take it for granted they were on the heavy end and with the heavier jacket material. The most recent animal with the Hawk was an elk at 50 yards using the .430 diameter 300 grains x .035 FP at around 2350 MV from a wildcat. Really stomped him, dropping him in his tracks without a wiggle on a low lung shot, and the exit hole was pushing an inch in diameter. No way to say much more than that, other than to guess I might have had trouble recovering the bullet on a lengthwise shot rather than broadside.

I'm starting to slobber over the idea of a .358 on one large case or another, and I'm sure I'll twist the barrel with the Hawk 265 and 300's in mind. Back "in the day" I put a bunch of 275 grain Barnes through a 358 Norma, and the results make me wonder why I ever let that rifle go.

Yeah, I would wonder why you let a 358 Norma go also, great round, I want one.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Yeah, especially a lefthanded Carl Gustav in a custom claro walnut stock!

Had something to do with paying for two babies and a couple of college degrees, I'm sure. The old gun collection suffered mightily during those years, but no one went hungry and no bill went unpaid.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Yeah, especially a lefthanded Carl Gustav in a custom claro walnut stock!

Had something to do with paying for two babies and a couple of college degrees, I'm sure. The old gun collection suffered mightily during those years, but no one went hungry and no bill went unpaid.
    WOW!!! If you had not qualified the letting go of the Carl Gustav I would have figured you were on something. I know what it is like sending kids to college. I had to sell my four quarter horse for the same reason.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

It's far and away my favorite cartridge. There's nothing it can't do. Big or small.

I think you are right, that is my opinion of the .358 Norma mag also.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS