Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Good news!

  1. #1
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Thumbs up Good news!

    I was pleasantly informed that the new Area E gillnet manager is optimistic that if the gillnet fleet catches a decent amount of kings on the May 16th opener that he will be optimistic of a strong run of kings and adjust fishing time accordingly . I also heard the Department was committed (for a change) to having the PU, sport guides and recreational users share in the burden of conservation...That is, if the king run looks as dismal as the last couple years... The subsistence folks would of course be exempt.
    Why did I put this in the dipnet section? I'll tell ya why, because you knuckleheads better hope we knock boots w/ some serious kings on the flats on May 16th or you may as well park the jet boats and motorhomes and take up berry picking and jelly making if you wanna live the dream of gathering like the real Alaskans used to





    I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

  2. #2

    Default

    good luck to your new area E manager, fullbush. We have excellent managers here in Cook Inlet who would like to see all user groups share the burden when conservation measures are needed but Bob P. has the ear of the governor. I sincerely hope the Copper river district is managed more fairly.

  3. #3
    Member Albradley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Fairbanks,Alaska
    Posts
    482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I was pleasantly informed that the new Area E gillnet manager is optimistic that if the gillnet fleet catches a decent amount of kings on the May 16th opener that he will be optimistic of a strong run of kings and adjust fishing time accordingly . I also heard the Department was committed (for a change) to having the PU, sport guides and recreational users share in the burden of conservation...That is, if the king run looks as dismal as the last couple years... The subsistence folks would of course be exempt.
    Why did I put this in the dipnet section? I'll tell ya why, because you knuckleheads better hope we knock boots w/ some serious kings on the flats on May 16th or you may as well park the jet boats and motorhomes and take up berry picking and jelly making if you wanna live the dream of gathering like the real Alaskans used to
    Wow I guess i better get my king on the dipnet opening in chitina.Luckily I only want one king so I think I would be okay.Either way it goes im all for preserving the species and would willingly give up my king,reds,silvers or whatever if it helps.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

    and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

  4. #4
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    Gunner, The BOF fiasco this winter is the reason we got a new biologist. The conscientious biologist you had couldn't in good faith stick around and manage your fishery given the current guidelines. The bad/good news for you is you inherited our biologist, Glen Hollowell.
    Glen is a nice enough guy but he is doesn't listen to the local knowledge, he was a junior biologist for the dept just 4 years ago and from the get-go he wasn't really all that receptive to input from the old timers that didn't need a spread sheet to know what was happening w/ the run... I'm pretty certain these field managers have a pretty stringent set of guidelines to follow, but it's nice to have one w/ a spine thats for sure...Good luck and heads n' tails to ya





    I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

  5. #5
    Member thewhop2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,366

    Default

    OK, Let me get this straight.... Didn't the PU fishery in Chitina give up retention of kings for the last two years? I didn't personely fish it but that is what I thought occurred. Is that not sharing the burden? I also thought that the commercials were fished into a different zone to also protect the kings. They both gave up fish later on into the season. Please correct me if I am mistaken but I don't believe so... Just saying!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

  6. #6
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    OK, Let me get this straight.... Didn't the PU fishery in Chitina give up retention of kings for the last two years? I didn't personely fish it but that is what I thought occurred. Is that not sharing the burden? I also thought that the commercials were fished into a different zone to also protect the kings. They both gave up fish later on into the season. Please correct me if I am mistaken but I don't believe so... Just saying!!
    You're correct whop, However I don't believe releasing a king that was waylaid by a dipnetter, has a crying chance in hell to pro-create. Possibly if the fish isn't allowed to flop on the rocks before releasing it, but thats hard to do especially if the dipnet has gillnet in it, because they're teeth and whiskers get snaggled up. I'm hoping there is such a bounty to share we won't have to worry about it





    I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

  7. #7
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    ***Their*** as in Their teeth and whiskers....NOT "they're" ... I don't believe the guides shared a lot of the burden whop2000...all they have to do is say the kings were incidentally caught and released, but thats only after they're fought to death, you know how they are up there on the Klutina and Gulkana, remember "Guidezilla" shooting fish w/ his hogleg remember this?????? http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...=shooting+fish

    This is the type of conservation tactics the guides use....





    I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

  8. #8
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Possibly if the fish isn't allowed to flop on the rocks before releasing it, but thats hard to do especially if the dipnet has gillnet in it, because they're teeth and whiskers get snaggled up. I'm hoping there is such a bounty to share we won't have to worry about it
    It is my understanding that dipnets used in the Copper River fishery rarely if ever have gillnet mesh. Kenai/Kasilof nets do, but that's a different beast.

  9. #9
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    Okay Brian I didn't realize this, thank you and that certainly does make a difference in the ease of release. Like I said I hope theres
    bounty for all, I have a good feeling there will be
    I'm gonna include this link cause i'm still annoyed about it...http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...=shooting+fish





    I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

  10. #10
    Member thewhop2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,366

    Default

    FB, I might be a dipnetter??? Just saying, LOL, but I believe in retention of the resource and if that resource is not sustainable, people have to give up retention, so it can happen down the road. You and I both agree the resource is the priority and if it is not there, we have to forgo for future generations. Let us hope something magic happens to allow retention of kings for both commfishers and dippers!!! Jeesh, I don't want to arm wrestle with friends that are commies out of Cordova, looking to put either $$ or fish into their freezers, and don't want to argue with you. Let us hope the resource bounces back and we all share!!! I have not been involved with the guides out of that area but will listen to people that have been in their midsts!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •