Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Lightweight COmmander or Kimber Compact Stainless II

Default Colt Lightweight COmmander or Kimber Compact Stainless II

Which gun is the better buy? They are equally priced.... is one as good as the other?

I was asked this question today and since I'm not a 45 guy I couldn't give a wise answer. However I know some on this forum are experts on the topic so help me out if you would and I'll pass it on!

Thanks EKC

Of those two choices, I would take the Colt in a heartbeat as Kimber's quality control has been suspect the past few years. With that said, I'll quote Larry Vickers...

"The 1911 is an enthusiastís pistols. In order to keep that gun running you have to, itís not optional, you have to become your own armorer to a degree. You have to be able to diagnose and fix minor problems on an end user level. If youíre not willing to sign up for that, frankly you have no business running a 1911 for anything other than occasional recreational shooting. If youíre going to put yourself in harmís way with that gun and youíre not willing to sign up for that, then you need to avoid it. The HK45 is clearly the better choice. For the overwhelming number of people who feel like they need to have a .45 the only two real choices are the M&P45 and the HK45 and push come to shove if Iíve got to trust my life to one or the other, it would be the HK45."

http://pistol-training.com/articles/...-larry-vickers

Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post
    Of those two choices, I would take the Colt in a heartbeat. With that said, I'll quote Larry Vickers...

"The 1911 is an enthusiastís pistols. In order to keep that gun running you have to, itís not optional, you have to become your own armorer to a degree. You have to be able to diagnose and fix minor problems on an end user level. If youíre not willing to sign up for that, frankly you have no business running a 1911 for anything other than occasional recreational shooting. If youíre going to put yourself in harmís way with that gun and youíre not willing to sign up for that, then you need to avoid it. The HK45 is clearly the better choice. For the overwhelming number of people who feel like they need to have a .45 the only two real choices are the M&P45 and the HK45 and push come to shove if Iíve got to trust my life to one or the other, it would be the HK45."

http://pistol-training.com/articles/...-larry-vickers
    I'm thinking that is a pretty fair statement on the 1911's, at least for someone intending to carry and depend on one for self defense. Not to say a 1911 is not rock solid and dependable if it is set up and tuned right, but one should at least learn how to detail strip and clean, tension extractors, ect... That is the great thing with the 1911. A guy with basic mechanical abilities and a desire to learn can actually work on them (within limits of his abilities). Given the choice of the 2 1911's (price being equal) I would also pick the Colt. If nothing else but for the Colt name as it has been the base gun for more custom jobs than any other brand. Nothing at all wrong with the Kimber though. I believe I heard on this forum that Colt uses fewer MIM parts for those that are concerned with that.

Colt but keep good springs in the lightweight models and I would also use the Wilson shock buffer. You can batter a lightweight frame fairly fast with SD loads and weak recoil spring
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Good stuff guys....I knew little of whats been offered here.

I once had in my possession a Pointman 7 and a Kimber Stainless Target. They were given to me to by terminally ill friends to hold onto so they wouldn't get lost in the estate settlement and or end up in the wrong hands. Both of those guns have since been passed on to family members of my deceased friends who proved worthy.

I also had a S.A.M. 1911 45 made elsewhere! I actually broke that one down and from what I could see fit and finish was as good as the Colt that was in the local gun shop. The gun shop dealer was even impressed with it. That, however is the extent of my 1911 knowledge.

So far it's 3-0 in favor of the Colt!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Colt but keep good springs in the lightweight models and I would also use the Wilson shock buffer. You can batter a lightweight frame fairly fast with SD loads and weak recoil spring
    I looked in Brownell's catalog at springs and the choices were almost endless! What weight spring would you suggest Will?

In not going to get into an argument with Larry Vickers, but my Daddy's WWII colt never needed anyhting other than a box of ball and we abused that old slabsides until he traded it off for a .357. I still have his other Colt 1911

Colt makes the best production 1911. Period. Their custom shop models such as the SCG is as good as Bill Wilsons at half the price. Go with the Colt

If I picked up a production 1911 today it would no doubt be a Colt.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I would use the strongest spring that still lets the slide cycle 100% of the time with my choise of ammo. Get a three pack and start with the stoutest and go down if needed
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Default Springs

Don't forget the hammer spring either - the hammer spring plays a significant part in the unlocking and cycling of the 1911. A heavier one will increase the trigger pull but it will also help the gun to to digest heavier loads without damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I would use the strongest spring that still lets the slide cycle 100% of the time with my choise of ammo. Get a three pack and start with the stoutest and go down if needed
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Holy Smokes Gus! Considering the comments and the sources from which those comments come........Colt it is!

Say Ken, do you have any new Commanders in stock? Either a 1991 or XSE? Unlike my friend I don't need a lightweight! How much?

we have blue commanders, email us later in the week for pricing, we are doing a computer chANGEOVER

[QUOTE=Wildalaska;937212]we have blue commanders, email us later in the week for pricing, we are doing a computer chANGEOVER[/QUOTE

Ken, I need a stainless one. Thanks for your advice on the matter anyway.

I've had both. I sold the kimber after having to deal with their miserable customer service. I like the colt and it hasn't been any trouble. I just had a commander sent back to the custom shop for the tactical package. I can hardly wait to get it back.

As far as springs are concerned I recommend 18lb for Government Models, and 20lb for Commanders. With both guns being 45s shooting hardball or equivalent. I like springs from Wolff there are other makers but I've always had good luck with Wolff. I don't care for the Shockbuff dodads, I've seen more than one malfunction caused by them, but if they make you feel better and your gun will run with them then have at it.

Good luck with your shopping EKC, have fun when you get the one you want.

I would pay more for a Colt just to stay away from the Kimber. But if you are a masochist, buy the Kimber.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

My Colt Commander came in today as did my buddies lightweight version of the same. I got to his before he did and highlighted the writing on his gun in pink for him(used washable marker). He wasn't impressed....but it was funny!

Seant, I might have to check into that tactical package. Only mine has to have ivory grips so I can be like Eddie Lomax(Desert Heat)! Ha!

I bought a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II the day this thread got started. Tomorrow will be my first trip to the range with it and I'm anxious to see how it compares to my Para Ordnance for accuracy.

Enjoy the new Colt!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    My Colt Commander came in today as did my buddies lightweight version of the same. I got to his before he did and highlighted the writing on his gun in pink for him(used washable marker). He wasn't impressed....but it was funny!

Seant, I might have to check into that tactical package. Only mine has to have ivory grips so I can be like Eddie Lomax(Desert Heat)! Ha!
    I have a blued series 70 with colt custom shop elephant ivory grips. It's a good looking combination

I bought a kimber about five months ago, 1300 rounds later it has run like a swiss watch. Not a single malfunction of any kind, that is 250 rounds of 230g factory fmj and the rest hand loads with 200g flat nosed hard cast out of a Lee mold.

As far as springs go, Wilson combat makes a spring tune kit which is a great tune up after about 2k-2500 rounds, but until then factory springs will do exactly what they were designed to do.

No problems, and has every feature I could ever want in a carry gun. I researched 1911 manufacturers and bought what I liked best out of all of them. 1911's are solid, and you should know how to care for ANY firearm you own. Enthusiast's pistol...that's funny.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast