Thread: New To Alaska/ Looking for great hikes!

Default New To Alaska/ Looking for great hikes!

Hey,
    My wife and I just moved to Alaska from well I guess Pennsylvania. We moved across the country the last year and have found ourselves here. We are looking for some great hikes, beautiful landscapes and possibly hiking partners if anyone is interested.

I have hiked in many areas of the nation (as has my wife) however we still have alot to learn about the unforgiving outdoors of Alaska. Any hikes around Anchorage to start out would be great, and any you think is a must do just list.

Thanks,
    David

Crow Creek Pass.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

A great resource for hiking is Shawn Lyons "A Walkabout Guide to Alaska". In volume 2, Shawn focuses on trails in the Chugach Mountain area (Anchorage). There are many, many great hikes in South Central...yet, little time to do them. Depending on your ability, you might try Flattop Mountain in Anchorage, Baldy in Eagle River, McHugh Creek just outside of Anchorage 13mi off the Seward Highway. In the Mat-Su, I frequently hike Lazy Mountain, Mat-Su Peak, Pioneer Peak, Butte, Government Peak and others in the Hatchers Pass area. Good luck and Happy Hiking!

Agreed with the recommendation on the Walkabout Guide to Alaska. Another good one is 55 Ways to the Wilderness in Southcentral Alaska.

Some of my favorites have been listed above (especially Crow Creek, but that's a 26 mile trek and a bit much for a day hike), but others worth checking out are South Fork Eagle River, Twin Peaks Trail, Winner Creek, and Kesugi Ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Agreed with the recommendation on the Walkabout Guide to Alaska. Another good one is 55 Ways to the Wilderness in Southcentral Alaska.

Some of my favorites have been listed above (especially Crow Creek, but that's a 26 mile trek and a bit much for a day hike), but others worth checking out are South Fork Eagle River, Twin Peaks Trail, Winner Creek, and Kesugi Ridge.

Hey Brian, a while back you had a picture of you sitting on the side of a mountain overlooking a valley. Care to share where it is or the general area?
    JOHN

The link I posted has a great amount of different hikes on it. Nice thing about it is there are several day hikes listed close to Anchorage.
    http://www.alaskahikesearch.com/index.htm

Crow Pass, Johnson pass, Resurrection Pass, all are pretty nice hikes.

For day trekking, you can head down to Portage Valley and hike the trails around there.

Down Seward way you can hike Caines Head or for a short day hike Exit Glacier.

Closer to Anchorage you have the Turnagain Arm Trail, Flat Top, Willowaw Lakes, and Wolverine Peak.

Lots of trails at the Eagle River Nature Center as well.

Tons of options to choose from ranging in difficulty from nice and easy to trails that this chubby middle aged man dare not try in his current condition.

Another nice book is "Hiking Alaska" by Dan Littlepage.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Quote Originally Posted by alaska4ever View Post
    Hey Brian, a while back you had a picture of you sitting on the side of a mountain overlooking a valley. Care to share where it is or the general area?
    Not sure which picture you're referring to. Any idea what thread/topic it was posted in?

Not sure which picture you're referring to. Any idea what thread/topic it was posted in?
    Nah, just thst you were sitting near the top on a rocky outcrop overlooking a valley.
    JOHN

Thanks everyone, already have more to to then I had expected. Wife and I are extremely excited.
    Exploring Anchorage alone is a task, but i can't wait to get out into the great Alaskan wild. Believe we are doing
    crow creek pass first then make our way down the list. Btw thanks for the tip on the book def have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by alaska4ever View Post
    Nah, just thst you were sitting near the top on a rocky outcrop overlooking a valley.
    Winter or summer?

Winter or summer?

Well, it looked more like spring or fall but, I am thinking more like fall.
    JOHN