Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simpler tracks for a Polaris 6X6?

Question Simpler tracks for a Polaris 6X6?

I've seen the factory/aftermarket tracks for a Polaris 6x6.
    But, they all seem overly complicated and expensive?

Why can't you simply wrap a short set of tracks around the existing dual rear wheels,
    (like an old WW2 "half-track" truck) and put airplane-type skis under the front wheels?
    Also kinda/sorta like a wide, double-tracked sno-machine?

PS - Argo and Mudd-Ox just add tracks over their regular summer tires.
    They don't replace each big tire with a complicated bunch of small wheels?

Just thinkin' out loud!

Well the older 6x's you can just put the rubber tracks on them. The newer 6x's with independent suspension at each wheel you need the complicated tracks for, that's cause each axle moves.

Argo and the older big boss axles dont move.

6K is scary for a set of tracks. If they come down around 4k I might get a set

If you care to send me your email address I will send you Christian S. Hansen's, The Tracks Company, the reason that this will not work. 8 pages.

Bruce.

rimfiremat, this quote is from the Tracks Company web site, These unique tracks convert a utility vehicle with dual rear axles (6X6) or (6X4)into a track driven machine. the unique design of these tracks allows them to flex with the movements of the axles irrespective of whether those axles are fixed, independent, or swing arm.
    I do have a 18" set with the 3" spacers, on my 2007 P Ranger 6X6 and found a set of the AD Boivin Traxion + Tracks with the Kit Adaptor K-14, in, new like condition, in Winnipeg, MB, Canada. I did not have the oportunity to install them this past winter.
    My offer to PM me your email address as in post #3 is for any one that is interested in C S Hanson's, reasons why the rubber tracks over tires does not work. Its all in the same tire pressure.

Bruce.

Bruce,
    Tried to send you a PM for the info about tracks, but, it doesn't seem like your profile is set up to receive PM's, yet?
    Thanx, Dave.

the Argos and mud oxes have NO suspension. I was looking at weasel tracks and i think that i have a decent idea of how to build a set for a 4x4 or 6x6. put aluminum channel down together and bolt rubber or steel cable to them to keep it from coming apart. Then take more aluminum and radius one side and bend the other at a 90 degree angle. mount them next to the tires to keep the tires from walking off the track. You would have to pull the tires off, deinflate them and remount them with the track on. Your tension would be set by how much tire pressure you have. Ill let you know how it works out after i buy myself a BIG boss. I just like the idea of having tires already mounted on the vehicle, it isn't IF your going to throw a track, it is WHEN. If you built it stroung enough, like with the cable, you may be able to put it on one that has IFS. It would just hamper your independent travel.

Dave, I will try to send you a email through this forum.

Bruce,

I don't care about price. What I want to know is why won't the Polaris Prospector tracks built for the Sportsman Big Boss work on the Ranger 6x6? The center rear axle to axle distance is identical on the Big Boss vs Ranger. The only differences I can see are the offset from the frame, and the weight capacities.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post
    I don't care about price. What I want to know is why won't the Polaris Prospector tracks built for the Sportsman Big Boss work on the Ranger 6x6? The center rear axle to axle distance is identical on the Big Boss vs Ranger. The only differences I can see are the offset from the frame, and the weight capacities.
    Well I dont know for fact, but maybe it has to do with suspension travel? Is the axle bolt pattern the same?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post
    I own a 2010 Ranger 6X6 and after the first pics of the new tracks came out I have wondered the same thing. IMO the only unknown at the time was the center tire to rear tire hub distance. If, they are the same then they should work on the Ranger 6X6. From what I can tell the only difference between the Sportsman Big Boss 6X6 and the Ranger 6X6 is the dimensions which is where the increased load capacity of the Ranger comes from. The Big Boss 6X and the Ranger 6X have identical parts in the rear. Same stock tire size, same wheels, same a-arms, same suspension, same everything except the Ranger is wider so of course it can haul more. So, IMO they should work. I suggest that Alaskan SD, buy a set and do the R&D for the rest of us.

1S1K, some-one on another site that is doing some kind of a rebuild on a 2010 frame from a Sportsman Big Boss 6X6 informed me that the center to center middle axle to the center of the rear axle is 29.25 inches, the same mesurement for the 2011 P Ranger is 29 inches. I took this mesurment from a new machine at a local dealers outside inventory. I could be out .25 "+-.???. as I was cramped for space and cold and no one to hold the measuring tape on the other end. The same measurement on my 2007 6X6 is 27 inches. This mesument on the 2001 and the 2007 Sportsman Big BOSS 6X6 is all so 27 inches. I measured both these units. myself.

Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by AB RANGER 007 View Post
    1S1K, some-one on another site that is doing some kind of a rebuild on a 2010 frame from a Sportsman Big Boss 6X6 informed me that the center to center middle axle to the center of the rear axle is 29.25 inches, the same mesurement for the 2011 P Ranger is 29 inches. I took this mesurment from a new machine at a local dealers outside inventory. I could be out .25 "+-.???. as I was cramped for space and cold and no one to hold the measuring tape on the other end. The same measurement on my 2007 6X6 is 27 inches. This mesument on the 2001 and the 2007 Sportsman Big BOSS 6X6 is all so 27 inches. I measured both these units. myself.

Bruce.
    I agree that if the measurment from the middle of the center tire to the middle of the rear tire is not the same from the 2010 Big Boss to the 2010 or newer Ranger 6X6 then the new Big Boss track system would not automatically work. However, most track systems come with extensions, etc so if we are only talking .25 of an inch then it seems reasonable that Polaris would have a mod for that.

1S1K, there has to be another reason why Polaris stated that the Rubber Tracks over Rubber Tires, that worked on the earlier Sporstman Big Boss 6X6 would not work on the P Rangers 6X6.?? and Polaris did not have a mod for them??? I think it has a lot to do with the timing when you install tracks on the front wheels. I have been in communication with a rider in Eastern Ontaio, that installed Rubber Tracks( the big boss type) on a 1999 P Ranger 6X6, then installed the AD BOIVIN TRAXION PLUS TRACKS on the front, and he had issues with the drive timing on the front, some thing to do with the diamiter of the rear set of wheels, he disconnected the drive on the center set of wheels and installed a smaller wheel on the rear, same diamiter as the front drive sprocket and this has been working fine ever since. at first the rear set up was pushing the front tracks, the timing was out. Unfortunatly he lost his 6X6 drive, but there was still enough to do what he needed to do with his machine. SNOW. Pulling his Ice Shack/Wood out of the Bush etc.

Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by PugtSounDav View Post
    Why can't you simply wrap a short set of tracks around the existing dual rear wheels,
    (like an old WW2 "half-track" truck) and put airplane-type skis under the front wheels?
    Also kinda/sorta like a wide, double-tracked sno-machine?
    My idea is a "simpler" track system, not just "another" or "different" track system.
    That's why I wanted to remove the front axles from the driving equation,
    and instead lash skis under the front tires for steering purposes only.
    Two sets of tracks around the rear 4 wheels would be plenty of "traction" for snow.
    (at least twice as much bearing surface as a regular snow machine).

I also still don't see why the newer "independent suspension" would prevent the use of rubber tracks over tires?
    I CAN see how the tracks might limit the amount of movement that the "independent" tires might travel.
    But, we're talking about smoother snow covered terrain, not a totally exposed boulder garden in the summer.

Thanx for all the interesting discussion so far!!!
    Dave.

Hi Dave, You are so right, I think we are all locked up on" NEEDING" this 6 wheel drive that we do not see the simplist set up. Do a search on Sno Bear, I have purchased a set of their skies and modified them to mount, with straps, under the front wheels, they are 11 inches wide and 67 inches long. If you have a problem finding tracks there is a company in Edmonton AB. that will costom make a set for you. $2500.00 to $3000.00 range. Right Track Systems Inc. 780-481-9473, Tom Zaleski, Manager. They do make them for ATV/UTV's as well as Skid Steer, Truck, etc, they just do not show them on there site. or you can order the Tracks Company set up that are totaly adjustable in length in half in incriments, for just about the same, +- including the spacers.

Bruce.

Agreed on the front skis and agreed that you could probably just leave the tires on the front and have a simple track system for the rear. Every engineer that I've talk to and even the guy from the Track Company says there is NO range of motion difference from a swing arm suspension to the IRS with regards to a wrap around track. So wrapping the stock tires in a rubber track or metal track should work. The problem for me is that $3K to "experiment" is not worth it to me.

The Polaris rep told me the front tires are always moving faster then the rear tires on the Big Boss and what ever tires one uses have to be correct for this. I did not ask what would be damaged by using the wrong sized tires. So would a set of rear tracks do any harm, wish I knew as I would prefer a I/2 track option myself.

338 - I was planning to put skis under the front wheels, so they won't be turning at all.
    (Keep the tranny in rear-4WD, not all-6WD.)

Just found this example of an older 2002 Polaris 6x6 with rear-only "simple" tracks on Craigslist.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/2483001880.html

I still think it could work on a newer IRS model?
    Tracks might limit the rear wheels from moving up&down a little bit?
    But, on snow, who cares?

Thanx, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    The Polaris rep told me the front tires are always moving faster then the rear tires on the Big Boss and what ever tires one uses have to be correct for this. I did not ask what would be damaged by using the wrong sized tires. So would a set of rear tracks do any harm, wish I knew as I would prefer a I/2 track option myself.
    I cant even wrap my head around the concept of the front tires are going faster than the rears. The tires are the same diameter all around right? If the fronts were faster than that would mean the rear is always dragging.

Not a 6x6 guy but are we talking about the newest with the shaft drive for the last axle? Might be a matter of side pressure on bearings that pushes Polaris to say don't do it. Just a thought.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast