Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denali Highway

Default Denali Highway

Any word on bears in this area thinking bout heading out this weekend

I stopped at the Troopers at Healy yesterday on the way back from Coldfoot and asked about the road. I was thinking of taking it across with my camper. He told me it still isn't open going over and the 9 miles this side wasn't in very good shape either. Soooooo, I didn't even try to go across.

M

Thanks for the info wasnt really trying to cut all the way across just hit that general area and look for some bears probably go in on the paxson side. Any word of bears out down there yet?

According to Claude at Alpine Creek Lodge, they've had the road open to his place (almost exactly halfway across - just past the Susitna Bridge) for the past few weeks. I think it has to do with the F-22 recovery effort, but whatever the reason, the road is unofficially open halfway from the Cantwell side. As for bears, I haven't been up there, but Claude reports that things are melting down and that they've at least spotted tracks out and about. Send him a PM for a more up-to-date report.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    According to Claude at Alpine Creek Lodge, they've had the road open to his place (almost exactly halfway across - just past the Susitna Bridge) for the past few weeks. I think it has to do with the F-22 recovery effort, but whatever the reason, the road is unofficially open halfway from the Cantwell side. As for bears, I haven't been up there, but Claude reports that things are melting down and that they've at least spotted tracks out and about. Send him a PM for a more up-to-date report.
    Yep the road is cleared out to Alpine Creek and in pretty good condition IMO.

As far as bears I was up there for a few days to do some work on our cabin and see some friends in Cantwell and only had one day to try to find bears. It was snowing HARD and blowing 30 mph and flat light made for dismal spotting and ended up with my hitting drifts and falling off my sled on two different occasions, being by myself I decided to retreat to treeline again and with only 1/2 mile visibility did find a den through the binos. Snowshoed up and found no one home....well atleast blowing on the squeeler right outside the den rifle ready didn't turn up much in the way of bears

Here is a pic of some of the AWESOME weather :

Drove in from the Paxon side yesterday. We made it 32 miles before we turned around. The road was clear and dry. It looked to be open all the way to mclaren river. Didnt see any bears or sign but saw several other hunters. Hillbilly

Thanks for the input maybe ill wait til next weekend then head down.

I went up friday evening on the cantwell side.. Road was damp and muddy form the snow and rain.. COntinued to snow and rain.. low cloud deck.. made it spotty to glass.. Several hours from behind the glass I saw a sow and cup traversing the hill side.. Saw another bear.. Big bear, but couldnt get across a gourge to get to it.. Sled conditions are rough.... Turned around at the susitna and went back to roughly mile 5-15 and glasses south.. Saw one loan bear moving on the north side but couldnt find a acess point to access ATHNA land..Came early Today..

103_1881.jpg

Drove all the way to the Susitna River on Saturday. Low clouds and snowing. No bears, 22 caribou, 5 moose, and 3 ptarmigan. Did some shooting and had a great time.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Anyone go up the Denali HWY this week after Mother's day. I was up there 10 days ago... a lot of snow then... but wondering if its melting down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Grayling View Post
    103_1881.jpg

Drove all the way to the Susitna River on Saturday. Low clouds and snowing. No bears, 22 caribou, 5 moose, and 3 ptarmigan. Did some shooting and had a great time.
    Dang, hope you had some friends to help pack that out

So question, if I waited until June 2nd or 3rd, will I see bears down there? If so, where should I go to try my hand at getting one? I would love to get out and try to find a Grizz. If someone could point me in the right direction, it would be nice. I also drew a any bull tag (DM333) in the area and would like to check it out if possible. PM me if you don't want tons of people down there. I just want my first bear this year, so any help would be great.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

tip...spend time looking for bears. they are a tough weekend score. sometimes it takes alot of time. only so much can be done via the internet. best bet is just go for it and spend time behind the glass! figure anywhere theres a road you won't be a lone so any tip you get chances are someone else has the same info one way or another. so my advice to you is just take the plunge and start hunting!! and have some fun while your at it!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    So question will I see bears down there?
    They're always there; just gotta get high and plan to sit for a long time with your eyes open. I've found that if the weather is nice (not storming) then the bears will generally be out in the mornings and evenings - at least that's my experience. I've seen a few up there in wierd situations when it's a blizzard - but those were freak encounters. Once the alders fill up with foilage ( end of May, beginning of June), it makes spotting them a bit more difficult and then they start rubbing...... I'd head out there and get familiar with the area, if I was you. I've found a few dens out there early (mid April) before the snow is off. Once the chocolate calves hit the ground (last week of May, first week of June) the bears will definitely be on the move. The running cow moose give them away. ....got some stories about all that. Head out there and be safe; have fun; I love bear hunting. It gives me a chance to slow down and enjoy watching Mother Nature at work.

Any snow reports??? Would hate to drive the 6 hours there to find out trails are still snowed in....... Much appreciated.

the road was mostly dry and clear up to mile post 47 from the cantwell side, judgeing by the info hillbilly gave the road is open atleast from paxon to mile post 32, and they were working on moveing the snow in the drift valley just befor the maclaren river, guessing its only gana be a week to go all the way through. seen lots of bou and moose, but its was to warm and wet to snowshoe too far the snow was soft! still did a few miles but didnt see any bears or sign, i would focus on the accessable areas closer to the athna lands, not as much snow closer to cantwell may be better, jmo. good luck guys!

Just got back yesterday from a weekend trip. Saw lots of moose and caribou, but no bears. A few tracks though...
    -Matt

You drive all the way through? Heading up from the Paxson side this weekend. Thanks.

I drove all the way across yesterday, Tuesday 17 May. The road is in good shape. They were working on it in several spots, but no issues driving it. In my opinion, there's too much snow for 4-wheelers and not enough for snowmachines in most places. Around Maclaren there was plenty of snow, but it was rotten. Temps were around 30 degrees at night and around 40 degrees all the away across until I got to Cantwell. Hope this helps. I did see a few moose and a handful of caribou. No bears.

The updates are very much appreciated. Now I'm glad I put it off a couple weeks. Thanks again.

-akiceman25
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast