Thread: 200 sport jet over heating

Default 200 sport jet over heating

I checked all the hose line none seem to be pluged I got the lawn hose hook up could the problem be just not enough water going through the motor any help or suggestions would be great thank Chris

Chris you do not have the impellers still installed, do you?

Now to the overheat problem....is there water exiting the exhaust? Is there a sand trap installed?

No or little water out exhaust means it's not making it thru the engine. Your jet unit is what pushes the water thru the engine hose pressure may not be enough.

Sand trap plugged or flush valve open.

How long did you run before it over heated..there is some kind of blocking in a hose or port some were.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    How long did you run before it over heated..there is some kind of blocking in a hose or port some were.
    Thought about it more.....could be sand in the head cooling area. Pretty common problem on outboards.

Sand trap is full of water check all the line they are clear taking it to the lake on Sunday to se if its just not enough water if that doesnt solve the problem then Im at a lose

Sunday???? ***. Get that thing to Finger Lake ASAP. We got a river to run on Monday. Seriously, I'm sure we can figure it out when I get there Monday morning. That cooling system is just too simple. Can't be anything more than a little blockage somewhere.

that is my plan sunday put it in the lake and see what happens thanks for all your help rob

the garden hose hookup cools the motor through a different path than when the boat is in the water...go back it into the lake and turn it on while still on the trailer and see if it over heats....if something is plugged it won't take long at all.....it might just be a problem with the garden hose attachment and may be just fine when the boat is in the water...

now I'm curious...sneak down to finger lake in the am and try it out...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

You didn't run it up past idle did you? Merc is pretty specific about that, idle only with the hose hooked up. Just a mind jog just in case. My brain sputters and coughs often enough....

no I didnt run past idle going to put it in finger lake on Sunday to see if it still overheats

What time.....I may be able to be out that way for a little extra hand and help with the once over. I tried to swing by your place the other day but the kid has me swamped with this high school soccer stuff, 4 games a week is killer right now on any spare time.

On Edit: You know a place a little closer to home to just run it up on while on the trailer would be Lower Fire Lake or the Knik River as a thought.

Dropped it in the knik river yesterday and it ran great great guess the lawn hose just wasnt giving it enought water. Thanks to everyone for helping Chris

Good Deal! Glad you didn't have any serious problems.