Thread: QuikClot Blod Clotting Agent

Default QuikClot Blod Clotting Agent

Anybody have a good (cheap) online source for this QuikClot product? Click here.

Cliff I think part of the no response to your post is the click here doesn't seem to go anywhere. So not sure what your looking for. I will through this out there for those not aware of Shepherd's purse. This herb made into a tea will slow down or stop internal bleeding. I have a friend that just used it and it really worked fast and its cheap. $2.00 a oz. Its not any cure but has a long history of its use in hemorrhage during child birth, bleeding lungs Etc.

Sorry, try HERE.

I've used and seen QC used in combat.

I know the new stuff is supposed to cause less/no burns, but I'd use another product like Celox or hemcon or something before I used QC.

However, in an emergency, it's good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
    I've used and seen QC used in combat.

I know the new stuff is supposed to cause less/no burns, but I'd use another product like Celox or hemcon or something before I used QC.

However, in an emergency, it's good stuff.
    We live remote and use the new QC with antibiotics. It works well and doesn’t sting. We’ve used it several times, (nothing drastic, just to stop bleeding) without complaints.

You are right, the old stuff did have a sting to it.

Perhaps someone with a medical background can chime in but after using quikclot- I read that a lot more skin/tissue must be cut away to remove it than previously damaged? I used to carry it but not after the reading I found.

Try here: http://www.combatmedicalsystems.com/
    They have more than just the QC on here. The QuickClot gauze is supposed to work better than the powder.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Here is a link to a study of the side effects of some of these products.
    http://www.combatmedicalsystems.com/...2I%3d&tabid=68

I know it's an old thread, but I believe that the info is important. Based on my experience, I stand by celox gauze over QC or Hemcon. I don't like the idea that you basically have to mortgage your house to get a decent supply of Hemcon pads, it's ridiculous for such an inferior product.

Jeff

My experience with QC... unsure of which one, but it saved my life after an IED in Iraq , The Shrapnel severed everything in my armpit but the bone.. Yes it severed the brachial artery and all three major nerves. QC was used, and when I woke up in Germany, a large piece of the artery was replaced with a vein, I had 2 immediate blood transfusion and a complete Brachial plexus nerve reconstruction. ,.. I was lucky the medic had put it in his bag that morning.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Ret25yo,

I apologize, I should've worded it better. All those products will save your life. Even the earlier ones that used to burn! I would prefer to have burns caused by a clotting agent that stopped an arterial bleed, than be free of burns, but also free of blood. What I was trying to say is out of those three, the celox gauze in my opinion was my goto clotting agent. That is awesome my man, I'm glad my Army counterpart was able to stabilize you, stop the bleed and enable you to be talking to me right now. Thank you for your service and sacrifice!

God Bless

Jeff
    My Brothers in Arms, I Will Never Be Able to Shake the Hands of the Real Heroes.

After reading the study posed in the link above ,I would have to concur with Corpsman. It too would be my first choice of the 3 . All 3 could save your life. It appears that there is less to fix using the celox gauze than the others tested. Corpsman I would be interested to hear what you would consider adequate supplies to have in camp while in the field in a remote local . Please be as specific as you can.

you can use puff ball mushrooms after they turn to seed, I use it quite frequently hunting in the fall, clots blood real quick and turns it to a scab, no burn and you can scrape it off easy, although I doubt it would work if you cut your femoral artery, but for cuts on your hand and even small veins it works. find um on downed birch trees
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I have QC in all my first aid kits (5 total) so from what I'm reading I need to replace it with Celox gauze. I'm on an asprin a day and my clot times are good but I would much rather have something to stop flow in case of a significant injury vs bleed out in the middle of nowhere.

Questions for those who might know:

It is listed as medical personel only....can anyone buy?
    Is the 15 gram pouch adequate for most wounds?
    Is it better to have two 15 gram pouches than one 35 gr pouch?
    Prices are not awful, but are there any discount sources for the Celox gauze?
    If you are in the middle of nowhere, how long will the Celox gauze stop the bleeding...assuming no chopper fly-out?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

One more thought....what about people allergic to shrimp? See below:

Celox
    Initially, if someone has an open wound, the first thing to do is to try and stop the bleeding. Emergency responders are now carrying Celox. Celox can instantly clot and stops bleeding in 30 seconds. Celox is made from a natural polymer extracted from shrimp shells called chitosan.
    Celox bonds to the surface of red blood cells and platelets to produce a gel like clot or plug. It works independently of the body’s normal clotting machanism and can clot hypothermic or even heparinised blood.
    Removing celox from a wound is as easy as it is to put in the wound. One can remove as much of the celox “plug” by hand and then irrigate it with water or a saline solution. This would be an effective tool to have in any first aid supply. This is something that could prolong a life long enough to save it. Celox is available at www.celox.com as well as available on www.amazon.com.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

here's a better link this looks like the stuff to put in my bag, thanks,,,,http://www.celoxmedical.com/
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

The old powder QC was much more invasive to the skin than the new gauze form which is a much better product.
    Hemocon is a great product to have in the bag but it too has limits and varied uses, one being in tight location where a tourniquet can't be used. You are required to apply pressure for 4 to 5 min in order for it to stick properly.
    Celox is one of the best things on the market right now for a quick fix to stop the bleeding. Kerlex is good to have in the bag for puncture wounds as well.

Bear in mind as others have stated earlier that what you have in your bag at any given time when you need it is better than not having it. Keeping a cool head when a buddy or family members is down and working through the problem will always prevail.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Your are correct Iron...better site.

Coincidently, I just had 2 EMT's in the shop and I asked them about Celox gauze and they said it was wonderful...use it all the time at traffic accidents, shootings and just used it on a tractor accident involving a tramatic amputation of the lower arm. The doctors at Shock Trama said using it on both the upper arm and severed lower limb gave them a chance to re-attach the lower are with some fairly high level of confidence that it would be usable again. It is looked upon by the EMT's as a real life saver.