Thread: Need Short Oars

Default Need Short Oars

Anyone know where I can find a decent set of short oars for an 8' Zodiac?
    Probably need 5' to 5 1/2' oars. I have a cheap set of aluminum oars but I would like something a little better (even wood ones would be fine).
    I dont need to spend hundreds on composite ones though as they are not the main mode of propulsion. I got a motor fer that.

Drifter,how about just a couple of paddles?

Could work I guess.
    I have a set of clamp on oar locks that I could just clamp onto the shafts of the paddles.

I would really need to cut the ends off the paddles and install a pair of grips to get proper use out of them though.

drifter, IMO if you plan to potentially row your zodiac in the ocean or on faster moving rivers, go with more oar than you think you need. You'll appreciate the extra leverage they provide over ones marginally long enough to get the job done. We use 7.5' Cataract mini-magnums (two-piece/breakdown models). They're strong and lightweight.

www.advancedcomposites.com

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

I don't know if you have a Wal-Mart in Yellowknife,but in Kenai they have wooden oars from 5' to 8' long for less than $100 per pair.It might be an option to look at......

Drifter found these here for you 5 ft to 7.5 http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...wood+Boat+Oars

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Drifter found these here for you 5 ft to 7.5 http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...wood+Boat+Oars
    Thanks Andrew but unfortunately I won't deal with them due to them using UPS for shipping.

UPS treats us Canucks like red headed stepchildren. They will only ship air to yellowknife which is complete BS as they stick the stuff on a truck in Edmonton but still charge air rates. They also charge high rates for brokerage fees when shipping across the boarder. Between their unreasonable shipping rates and stupid fees cost to ship 2 oars to me would be about 4 X the cost of the oars.

The plan really isn't to row rivers or oceans with them, I just would like a good pair incase I need to row because of motor failure or to get through some skinny water or sneak up on a spot.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    UPS treats us Canucks like red headed stepchildren.
    Sounds about right.

I bought a carslisle aluminum one piece oar shaft from sporstmans when they had a big sale, I think it cost me $85. I'm sure you could cut them off, drill a new hole in each for the blade and you'd be good to go. The stupid blades are spendy (+/- $65). Isn't sportmans canadien owned now?

Scott I think I read that UFA a Canadian company bought 15 of their 60 stores mostly in the north west. I think sportsmans liquidated 23 others and still have the rest including the ones up here. They are a Utah based company.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Anyone know where I can find a decent set of short oars for an 8' Zodiac?
    Probably need 5' to 5 1/2' oars. I have a cheap set of aluminum oars but I would like something a little better (even wood ones would be fine).
    I dont need to spend hundreds on composite ones though as they are not the main mode of propulsion. I got a motor fer that.
    Sawyer Utility (STD)
    Sawyer Utility (STD) oar is likely a really good way to go for you if sticking to economy end.

Smokers Quality Oar (QO) is made of laminated fir

Smokers Solid Ash - Quality Oar (AQ) is made of laminated ash (little more flexible)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    Sawyer Utility (STD)
    Sawyer Utility (STD) oar is likely a really good way to go for you if sticking to economy end.

Smokers Quality Oar (QO) is made of laminated fir

Smokers Solid Ash - Quality Oar (AQ) is made of laminated ash (little more flexible)
    Thanks Brian
    Anywhere local in South central to buy them?
    I was figuring on picking up a set when I'm there in tthe fall.