Thread: Coast Guard Auxilliary vessel safety checks at Fred Meyer, Eagle River

Default Coast Guard Auxilliary vessel safety checks at Fred Meyer, Eagle River

For anyone who is interested, these are scheduled for May 14 and 15 in the Fred Meyer parking lot in Eagle River. In my opinion, these free vessel safety checks are a good idea for many reasons. The Coast Guard Auxilliary (CGA) does not charge for this service. Just drag your boat to them and they will check the same things that the Coast Guard would check if you were to be boarded. So better to find out now what you're missing (flares in date? The correct kind and number of PFDs? etc.) than when you get boarded and it becomes a problem. If you do not pass the CGA inspection, you are not reported to the CG. And you can fix whatever the problem is and then get reinspected until you pass. When you pass, you will get a sticker that you put on your boat. More often than not, if the CG is coming over to check you out on the water and they see the sticker they will just pass you on by. I've been boarded 3 times, and each of those times I did not have the sticker. Every other year that I had the sticker I was not boarded.

Do you know of any scheduled inspections in Anchorage? I agree these are great to get while on dry land instead of on the water. I've had 'em done both ways. A couple years ago we had a guy with the USCG Aux. on the forum that came to your house and inspected right at your own house. I sure wish I could remember his name. Great job and thanks to all the USCG guys and gals out there.

I don't know, but a call to West Marine (where the Anchorage inspections usually are done) can probably answer that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    Do you know of any scheduled inspections in Anchorage? I agree these are great to get while on dry land instead of on the water. I've had 'em done both ways. A couple years ago we had a guy with the USCG Aux. on the forum that came to your house and inspected right at your own house. I sure wish I could remember his name. Great job and thanks to all the USCG guys and gals out there.
    Check your PMs
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default What Time?

Does anyone know what hours they will be doing inspections in ER? Thanks in advance.

They are usually there most of the day