Thread: Spotting scope upgrade..from Leupold too???

Default Spotting scope upgrade..from Leupold too???

I am seriously thinking about upgrading this year as I should have the funds pretty soon. At this time I have a leupold gold ring(not HD) 15-40x60. It has served me well on two sheep hunts but I think there is better glass out there.

Considerations are definetly weight. I do not wan to increase much with out a big increase in clarity.

I will be using it from sheep hunting, to high country mule deer, to glassing bears.

I want to make this my last purchase as far a spotting scope goes, of course that is as long as I dont loose it!

Can you long time light weight open country hunters tell me what you use and why you would recommend it over what I have?

Feel free to tell me about your tripod too.

Thanks all.

I picked up a refurbished Leica from Doug at Cameraland and am glad I did! Superb glass and spotter! It was the televid 62.

I went with a Swarovski mainly due to it being one of the few eyepieces that go all the way up to 60X with just a 65mm. Granted times are few when conditions allow the 60X to shine, but I find multiple times every season that I see more at the 60X than I do at 45X if it isn't windy or dealing with heat waves (mirage). Though still not cheap you can find non-HD models if you are willing to wait and look in the $1300 range with an eyepiece if you look on various forum classifieds. Figure if I am hauling the 3 lbs of spotter up the hill might as well go with one that will give me the most magnification while still being clear was my though anyways.

This kind of post is where the Forums paid off dividends in research for me. My search ended with the Minox62 ED, but that was for my needs only. Having looked through the Very top End German and Asian variations, Minox fit the bill price and quality. I did think the Leica's were a tad on the heavy but I was going on the 77mm. Quality to be sure. The Swarovski 65 ATS would have been First choice with top optics and around 48 Oz.?? I am thinking. Leica 77mm come in at around 60+/-... However: Moose permit, Caribou, and Kodiak pilgrimage cut my operating budget for 2011 :O) best of luck spending money. Jeff

Thanks all.
    Can anyone testify to the difference in quality of the HD and non HD model of higher end scopes, like the Swarovski?

Quote Originally Posted by plentycoupe View Post
    Thanks all.
    Can anyone testify to the difference in quality of the HD and non HD model of higher end scopes, like the Swarovski?
    Yes sir I have some experience with both. I originally bought a Zeiss Diascope 65mm zoom goes from 15X-45Xfor a few years. My buddy's parent bought him a Swaro non-HD 65mm spotting scope zoom goes from 20X-60X. They basically weigh the same amount but we found on our moose hunts when trying to count brow tines on distance moose and the conditions were right the 60X really helped be more confident the moose was worth pursuing from further away than the 45X.

I ended up finding a smoking deal on a HD version Swaro 65mm. This past season we found there was a difference you could see between HD and non-HD. Is it worth the price difference that Swaro's retailers put between the two scopes??? Probably not but there was a discernible difference. However when you see a Swaro HD 65mm for $1200 brand new with an eyepiece you jump on it HD or not Hope that helps.

Ive talked to many people about the HD vs. non HD subject. Pretty much all people say there is a slight difference when looking through it with your eye. And a big difference when looking through it with a camera(digiscoping). Hope that helps.

Dylan

Dylan nailed it. There is chromatic aberration and fringing on the non HD scope. I've had both. I took the non HD back and got the more expensive one and glad I did. If you never look through the best, you might not really care. But , once you do, you're done... just break out your wallet! Great optics are awesome. They're almost like cash too. Buy a top of the line optic and you'll keep it until you die. The difference is not proportional to the cash though. For that last little 10-20% better, you can almost double the price.

I will say this, Nikon scopes are HEAVY compared to the magnesium Swarovski. The best scope at a great price and weigh is the Vortex. Their warranty is awesome too.