Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drop Away Rests

Default Drop Away Rests

I'm in the market for a decent drop away rest. My buddy told me to get a Limb Driver. But I'm not 100% sure, and I don't know much about drop aways.

Whats a decent one and why? Will be used on my hunting bow.

i use the rip cord code red but it is the only one i have owned so i have nothing to compare it to the reason i bought it is full arrow containment and it makes zero noise on the draw i have around 2000 shots through it i would say,and no problems yet.

You wont be disappointed with the Vaportrail Limbdriver. I have them on all my bows. Best rest I've used. Easy to setup and tune, reliable, works everytime. I have their new rest on my new bow, the Limbdriver Pro V, its a full containment rest, AWESOME rest.
    http://www.vaportrailarchery.com/arrow%20rests/

Is it fairly quiet? I've heard thats the one gripe....People have told me to look at the Trophy Taker Smackdown FC instead because its much quieter....

Yup, its quiet. I haven't noticed any sound difference between other rests. TT Smackdown is a good one as well.

I'm a big fan of QAD UltraRest Pro HD. I know some complain of getting the timing set, but I've had no problems with that. I have them on 5 bows. I did have one that would drop inconsistently, but QAD replaced it with a brand new one. I like the full capture, and that it will remain cocked if you have to let down.

I ended up going with the TT Smackdown FC. Should be here with my new rangefinder in about a week!

I have used/tried/played with numerous drop away rests. The Limbdriver and the Trophy Takers are sweet/good rests. The Octane Tripwire works but has too many screws that I have seen back out of numerous rests on guys quickly and at the most inopertune time. The QADs are troublesome. It seems some bows tune well with them others get contact no matter what. The rest that I am extremely surprised and excited about is the G5 Expert Pro Rest. This rest holds the arrow up longer than any I have seen, especially on single cam bows, and it drops way out of the way. Its quiet as a mouse fart and so far it has worked as advertised. The down sides I have noticed is that it is not a containment dropaway like the Trophy Takers or the QAD. There is no cage or bar across the top so you definetly have to use one of the self adhesive arrow holders on your riser if you are going to be dragging your bow around with the arrow knocked. Also the first time you reed the instructions you need to put them down, drink one or two adult beverages, and read them again. They really made a simple process seem harder than it is.

I would go with a ripcord. Best rest there is period. I have a tripwire on my bow right now, and although it is okay, I wish I would have just bought another ripcord. Trophy taker makes a good rest, but the ripcord gets my vote. Tripwire is nice if you are uncomfortable setting up a ripcord or tt, but not as good a rest.

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    I'm in the market for a decent drop away rest. My buddy told me to get a Limb Driver. But I'm not 100% sure, and I don't know much about drop aways.

Whats a decent one and why? Will be used on my hunting bow.
    My application is hunting. I started shooting QAD Ultra Rest Pro HD rests the last two years. I have them installed on a 2000 Hoyt Defiant and a 2010 Hpyt Maxxis. Very quiet [significantly increased my accuracy] on both aluminum and carbon arrows. Full containment is a great feature. No issues to date. These guys give a military discount.

I tried a couple,But ended up with the Spot hogg Whammy
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

My vote is for rip cord code red great rest.
    Bow hunters do it with longer shafts

I have a QAD ultra pro on one bow and a limbdriver pro on another. Both work well but I prefer the QAD for hunting.

How hard is it to setup one of the drop aways that attachs to your cables? Is it somthing you can do yourself fairly easily?

How hard is it to setup one of the drop aways that attachs to your cables? Is it somthing you can do yourself fairly easily?
    I'm sure it's not too hard just use some serving and follow the directions. I had the shop put mine on I have a dioxide I've had since 07 no problems and I love that it's full containment and u can pop it up before the shot and it stays locked up.

I've got a QAD. Love it, great for hunting, I've had it on two different bows without a problem. My brother had the cheaper version of the QAD which I believe is the hunter. His took a dive after a few years but we both shoot a lot.

I installed mine myself and it was really easy, just served it to the cable first and trim the excess off the rest, follow the directions and you'll be in business.

Just like fishingyoda I found the set-up easy and quick. The rest comes with an instructional CD but the basic instructions are not difficult to figure out. Basically there are two whit lines that need to be aligned at full draw and that's it. There are adjustments to get the rest/arrow centered and you are shooting in minutes.

Thumbs up Rip Cord!!

My first drop away was the Drop Zone and I liked it. When I bought my new bow a month ago I put the Rip Cord Code Red on there and so far it's great. This new bow is faster than my last one and so is this rest. There's NO contact at all, it's absolutely silent, and it holds the arrow in place and any angle I put the bow in. Setup took 5 minutes. It's got my vote.

I just installed a QAD Ultra Rest on my new Bowtech invasion, I really like the arrow containment, I used to have the Trophy Ridge drop away, I think the Ultra Rest will let me move with less chance of the arrow falling off the bow, should make a better hunt.

Have any of you had troubles with the cord breaking on the Rip Cord Red? A couple buddies had them and the cord would wear/break out quite quickly depending on how much shooting you do. I went with the QAD and my buddies soon followed. I love it so far. The Rip Cord is an excellent rest but if that cord breaks during a hunt, it can be a booger to change if you dont have the tools or knowledge to change it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast