Thread: Bait Station Thoughts, insights & a suggestion.

Default Bait Station Thoughts, insights & a suggestion.

Speaking as a NON-baiter, but as a closet-naturalist.

About three years ago I developed a interest in bear behavior relative to bait-stations. Not because I wanted to bait, but bear behavior has always interested me.

What I have noticed is that the bears will build a new trail between bait'stations. Add a new station to the area and the bears will build a new direct trail connecting all the stations.

It would be interesting to compare all the bait season photos for a lot or all of the stations in one area. Like here where there are so many stations and they get restocked Wed. Sat. & Sunday I wonder how many stations in a row one bear will eat at, five, twelve, eight-teen.......?

So it seems to me that just like fast food restaurants, or Gasoline stations if there is one on all four corners of a intersection they will each have higher gross sales than only one on only one corner.

Everyone wants to be the "Only" bait station for ten miles in every direction. Which would be fine if like the guy who was feeding the bears you also lived there. And you were putting out food everyday.

But I wonder if the fact that there are a lot of stations close to each is not a "Good" thing if your not feeding them every day. Which leads me to think that success is more about hours at the station than how isolated the station is.

I am NOT going to set up a bait station, but if I was was going to, I would put it in the most congested area I could find.

Note: I know nothing about baiting, these are just thoughts I have about baiting.

Myself and Jcorwin share a very similar theory to you. With our hunting party we planned on 5 stations spread out over a few miles or so but do to cabins and access we are limited to a much smaller area but are still putting in multiple stands. Theory is the more bait closer together will draw them in and keep them in the general area. They will have a smaller area to travel between stands to eat and since it is only us in the area ( that we know of ) we should be successful and if one or two stands prove to be more successful than others we can always rotate in on that stand.

That is something to think about!

In communicating with baiters, the one thing that always comes up, is getting off work, grabbing a bite to eat, then driving 88 miles to the station on Wednesday night, haul out bait, sit for an hour and drive 88 miles home. There must be a better way to share the cost and labor of these stations.

Why donít buy a van and a trailer and run a bus (van) service from anchorage to hope. Look at all the money you would make.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    In communicating with baiters, the one thing that always comes up, is getting off work, grabbing a bite to eat, then driving 88 miles to the station on Wednesday night, haul out bait, sit for an hour and drive 88 miles home. There must be a better way to share the cost and labor of these stations.
    So tell us what we dont know. I was for you when I thought you were trying to hold baiter accountable but it appears to me know all you want to do is complain about baiter you are not willing to call LEO so there for I see you as part of the problen.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    So tell us what we dont know. I was for you when I thought you were trying to hold baiter accountable but it appears to me know all you want to do is complain about baiter you are not willing to call LEO so there for I see you as part of the problen.
    I think you took his comment a bit wrong..........
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I have for 64 years lived my life by my own personal moral compass. My goal is Tri-fold, dead bears. Have the baiting community realize that others are also in the wilderness, and hopefully that baiter's will organize and start regulating their hobby. I think the only thing I have been successful at is helping baiter's realize that others are also out there. However I do get the clear impression that baiter's feel that others should stay out of the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I have for 64 years lived my life by my own personal moral compass. My goal is Tri-fold, dead bears. Have the baiting community realize that others are also in the wilderness, and hopefully that baiter's will organize and start regulating their hobby. I think the only thing I have been successful at is helping baiter's realize that others are also out there. However I do get the clear impression that baiter's feel that others should stay out of the wilderness.
    All that said if you dont report what are hoping to get done here. Do you think someone who is breaking the law will do the right thing because you posted on this web page. I dont think law breaker will always be that way untill they are reported

AGL4now - your comments lead me to believe you would like or want to discuss "minimum distances" between bear baiting stations. Are you aware a bear can smell carrion reportedly 20 miles away? Bears will go from food source to food source regardless of its type or distance. Not to put words in your mouth but are you wanting to limit the rights of baiters and/or make it harder for us to participate in the outdoors by imposing further regulations on us? I ask because it appears your at odds with bear baiters by this continued rant we need to regulate ourselves as if we were all breaking the law.

Fact is, most bear baiters spend a significant amount of time, money, and research to stay legal and if there is a portion of our user group that isn't fully compliant with the law, it's a small fraction just as it is with every other user group. If this is the case (and it is), why focus so much on the small stuff?

Ive tried to understand your position and after much reflection its my opinion you either don't understand bears, dislike bear baiting around your home in and around Hope and/or feel you as a user should have preference over others. I don't see bear baiters chasing you out of the woods or trying to limit your access to Alaska's wilderness - why continue to point out "issues" you report to have with the baiting community when you yourself don't bait?
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    AGL4now - your comments lead me to believe you would like or want to discuss "minimum distances" between bear baiting stations. Are you aware a bear can smell carrion reportedly 20 miles away? Bears will go from food source to food source regardless of its type or distance. Not to put words in your mouth but are you wanting to limit the rights of baiters and/or make it harder for us to participate in the outdoors by imposing further regulations on us? I ask because it appears your at odds with bear baiters by this continued rant we need to regulate ourselves as if we were all breaking the law.

Fact is, most bear baiters spend a significant amount of time, money, and research to stay legal and if there is a portion of our user group that isn't fully compliant with the law, it's a small fraction just as it is with every other user group. If this is the case (and it is), why focus so much on the small stuff?

Ive tried to understand your position and after much reflection its my opinion you either don't understand bears, dislike bear baiting around your home in and around Hope and/or feel you as a user should have preference over others. I don't see bear baiters chasing you out of the woods or trying to limit your access to Alaska's wilderness - why continue to point out "issues" you report to have with the baiting community when you yourself don't bait?
    There must be a post on this thread that I missed. I didn't get any of what you saw from what the OP stated either in his original post or his follow up. He appeared to just be offering his observation of bear habits and thoughts on how that might be applied with regard to baiting habits. I think people are reading a lot more into the posts than is actually there. Now, I don't always agree with his angle on things, but I am not going to cricify him for something he didn't say.

I'm asking after reading a number of his comments on this forum over time; I'm not going after the guy - just asking clear questions.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    AGL4now -
    Hehehehehehe.......You just totally crack me up..........What in the dumb'arse sam'hill does if I bait or not have to do with anything you silly. Develop a valid argument or take a nap.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    All that said if you dont report what are hoping to get done here. Do you think someone who is breaking the law will do the right thing because you posted on this web page. I dont think law breaker will always be that way untill they are reported
    Whaaa?????
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Folks can we please keep the threads separate. I stopped reading the other thread because of all the mud slinging, and would prefer if this thread did not turn into the same thing. If you want to talk about report/don't report, please go back to the other thread.

Just my nickel,
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

I think that too an extent a few baits in a relatively close area would attract more bears and keep them in the area. However it might leash the frequency of each beat hitting your stand. But more bears would equal more hits right? It's tough to tell and obviously if your in a very remote area with lots of bears and your the only bait within miles and miles your probablly going to be better off.

In reference to the last post maybe someone should start a complaint thread where people whomwant to complain and vent and argue can go and keep these threads more focused on the topics starting the thread.

sorry guys it just pushed a button with me. I will stay on topic. Chris

Ditto Chris; mine as well. That said, some may or may not agree with my post above (which is their right), but I don't see my questions as far off the mark, offensive or digressing out of bounds. IMO my posts were done fairly, respectfully, asked clear follow-up questions within the scope of this discussion and were well worded. I won't apologize until I actually post something off the cuff or out of bounds.