Thread: Moving to Alaska!

Default Moving to Alaska!

Hey guys,

My wife has accecpted a job in Anchorage so we are moving up that way at the end of June. I don't think I will be able to hunt this year as a non-resident but next year I will. I am just hoping to get a little info on getting started with hunting in around the area. I am an avid hunter and fisherman. We currently live on the northern Oregon coast. I thought I would also see if anyone has any rentals in the Eagle River, or Wasilla-Palmer area? Thanks for any advice and I can't wait to start this new chapter in our lives!!

Welcome Aaron, what part of the norther Oregon coast are you coming from?

Aaron - You can certainly hunt next year, but it will be a bit more expensive. Getting a small game license would allow you to get out a lot and learn the areas while also being able to target hares, grouse, and ptarmigan while scouting for big game. You could also pick up one of the less expensive non-resident tags - black bear, maybe? - and use that to get started. If you'd like to sit down over a beer or coffee when you get here to look over maps and talk ideas, I'm always game.

My mother is a realtor and my family is pretty connected to the Eagle River rental market. What kind of situation are you looking for? Kids? Pets? I'm certainly happy to ask her to keep an eye open.

If you're going to be here a while, I would definitely look into buying. Rent here is ridiculous and the same cost as a mortage payment... might as well be building equity instead of the rent money just disappearing. All around Eagle River right now, houses are being put up for sale. Might be a good time to look with a saturated market.

All of the animals are gone! You should take up knitting! It's too cold and nasty to hunt here! They don't sell ammo to people without Alaskan money! Only way to hunt is to pay a guide! (did I forget anything?)

Welcome to Alaska cheechako, prepare to get the bug of your life called hunt season fever. There's no cure for it. I predict that within one year your garage will look like a hand grenade went off in a Cabelas store. Good luck!

If I were getting started , it would be with a .22LR, a 30-06, a 12 gauge 3" and some form of self defense from people for the home.

Actually, if you already have such, or a variation, start shooting and be in shooting shape for the day you can place that bullet into some dinner
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sir View Post
    All of the animals are gone! You should take up knitting! It's too cold and nasty to hunt here! They don't sell ammo to people without Alaskan money! Only way to hunt is to pay a guide! (did I forget anything?)

Welcome to Alaska cheechako, prepare to get the bug of your life called hunt season fever. There's no cure for it. I predict that within one year your garage will look like a hand grenade went off in a Cabelas store. Good luck!
    Oh Man! Must of left the garage door open again!

Welcome to Alaska!
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

there is a whole section in alaska living for you that might help. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ting-to-Alaska on a side note I dont think that I would hesitate to use Brains mom and there is one other member here that is a agent but can't remember his screen name.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Bryans right on Aaron, I'll be in fairbanks in 3 weeks(god willing). Small game hunting lic. for non-res. is cheap. Good way to get out enjoy the country and learn the way of the land. Thats may plan anyway good luck bro.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    If I were getting started , it would be with a .22LR, a 30-06, a 12 gauge 3" and some form of self defense from people for the home.

Actually, if you already have such, or a variation, start shooting and be in shooting shape for the day you can place that bullet into some dinner
    +1 on that.
    The suggestion to just hunt small game for the first year is a great one. You will get a chance to see all kinds of big game and how they behave while also getting a feel for areas and access. Welcome to the greatest place on earth.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Quote Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
    Hey guys,

My wife has accecpted a job in Anchorage so we are moving up that way at the end of June. I don't think I will be able to hunt this year as a non-resident but next year I will. I am just hoping to get a little info on getting started with hunting in around the area. I am an avid hunter and fisherman. We currently live on the northern Oregon coast. I thought I would also see if anyone has any rentals in the Eagle River, or Wasilla-Palmer area? Thanks for any advice and I can't wait to start this new chapter in our lives!!
    I would encourage you to not let your nonresident status deter you from hunting. First, a small game license costs next to nothing, and even though you have to drive two hours from Anchorage to find anything, hunting grouse and hares on the weekend isn't bad (with the balmy weather down there). Secondly, compared to a vacation hunt, you could very affordably hunt moose or bear or caribou. It'll cost a few hundred dollars, but that's chump change compared to getting an outfitter and a plane ride up from Cedar Rapids or wherever tourists come from.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

there are no ducks in alaska
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Kwackkillncrew,

You couldn't prove it to me after going the DU function last weekend. That was the busiest place I have been for a long time.

AaronP,

You live in the Seaside/Astoria area? Visited from Lincoln City north and really enjoyed the area. Much better here.

Randy

Thanks for all of the input. Randy, I live in Tillamook which is an hour south of Astoria. I have been here for 5 years working for the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife on a salmon-steelhead research project. I hope to find work when I get up there. I am so excited that my dream od moose and caribou hunting is getting closer to reality!! How far do you need to go from Anchorage to get into Caribou? Once again, thanks for all the info and I look forward to meeting you guys in the future!!

Tiilamook, home of cheese, trees and ocean breeze! I grew up in Rockaway.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
    Thanks for all of the input. Randy, I live in Tillamook which is an hour south of Astoria. I have been here for 5 years working for the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife on a salmon-steelhead research project. I hope to find work when I get up there. I am so excited that my dream od moose and caribou hunting is getting closer to reality!! How far do you need to go from Anchorage to get into Caribou? Once again, thanks for all the info and I look forward to meeting you guys in the future!!
    There are a couple of drawing (lottery) hunts for caribou within a coulple of hours of Anchorage, but the odds are pretty low. There is another option about 3 hours+ from town that is set up currently where if you want a permit, you get one (one per family), but it comes with limitations that might not be desirable for other hunting opportunitites. If you just want a harvest ticket, you are looking at a day or two travel time to get to the animals before even starting to hunt. Moose can be found much closer, but the closer you are, the more competition you will have. Since you will have time, take the time to read through the hunting regs online and that will help give you an idea of what is available.

Find someone local and tag along on their hunt. You can do everything but pull the trigger on the animal and you can do the most important thing: make connections and gather information from people who have the "inside scoop". Then be darn sure to not broadcast said information on the internet.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Welcome Aaron, just moved up here last July from Astoria due to wife's job as well. Access is not what we are used to but the are lots of opportunities here that we didn't have as well. Know any odfw guys from sauvies island? Pm me if you get board and want to elk call at moose, good luck to you and your wife. Eagle river is a great place to live, the valley wouldn't suck either if she works in anchorage, they do an epic jobs on the roads here, not like driving 26.

come on out to the waaaahoo methsu! its a great place to be!
    Semper Fi!

I moved up from Oregon last spring to Anchorage and it's definitely different. Like someone else suggested, if you can buy a place, do it. Rent will cost you as much as what you'd pay for a mortgage payment every month. Traffic is akin to Portland traffic up here at times and I would never commute to and from Wasilla/Anchorage every day, no way. I know people do it but with gas prices and the time sitting in the car I wouldn't want to do that every day.

I did a hunt last fall up on the Haul Road by myself and killed a small bull with my bow. It's definitely doable, it just takes some planning and some extra cash for gas and a tag.

Access up here is nothing like one would think. It's very hard to get to where the animals are and the people aren't. You need a plane, boat, or a wheeler, or drive clear across the state.

Good luck on the move up.