Thread: left handed rifle options

Default left handed rifle options

I am wondering if anyone out there has info/suggestions about lefty rifles with sights, CRF and idealy in 338 win. Not particular about blue or stainless.

Not a .338, but a Mosin nagant, especcialy the M-39 variation is a handy bolt rifle that greets your left hand with a straight bolt handle rather than a bent one......and ammo is available and cheap.

My wifes family is predominantly left handed and hunting with one of my Mosins led some of her bros and nephews to buy themselfs one for the easy and rapid action.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Ruger is pretty friendly to LHers
    Now what ?

Lots of choice in Ruger, Browning A-bolt and x-bolt in blue/wood. Savage and Tikka make lefty
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

didnt see a lefty ruger 338 win but certainly may have overlooked it. As for the abolt and savage I want a claw extractor. Thanks for the suggestions please keep them coming

Savage, Rem, Win, Ruger all make LH 338's. New and used on gunbroker.com also. I'm lefty too and shoot LH and RH bolt actions. Good luck.
    svenska50@hotmail.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER

I am seeing rifles with some of the features I want but not all, for example ruger makes a lefty that has sights and claw extractor but it is only offered in 338 RCM (hornady) not 338 win. Winchester as best as I can tell is not offering any lefties. Tikka makes lefties in their Hunter model but is not a claw extractor/CRF. Kimber model 8400, has all the features I want but no lefties. So you can see what I am dealing with.

I am seeing rifles with some of the features I want but not all, for example ruger makes a lefty that has sights and claw extractor but it is only offered in 338 RCM (hornady) not 338 win. Winchester as best as I can tell is not offering any lefties. Tikka makes lefties in their Hunter model but is not a claw extractor/CRF. Kimber model 8400, has all the features I want but no lefties. So you can see what I am dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Swede View Post

Perhaps compromise is needed. I see Ruger makes the 375 Ruger in left handed and sights. Not sure how 375 ruger compares to 375 h&h, but I own the 375 h&h and I love it. I know you can't dial it down as much as 338 but I've used mine for moose/caribou/musk ox and I'm hard pressed to shoot another gun. Does so much less meat damage than my 300 win mag. I hated the mule kick of the 338, but I don't mind the 375 one bit. Good luck finding what you need as all of us lefties know the limits out there.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

CDNN has a LH Ruger 338 RCM Balisticly the same as a 338-06 with sights for aprox $560 Snowwolf bought one 20" with sights blue wood LH.

I use a savage model 16 (or maybe it's a 12) in 300 wsm. I suspect savage has it available in 338.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Win. made the MD 70 in LH 338 in both stainless (only 2 years?) and blue (longer). I missed the stainless but picked up a blue. It came with a 26" barrel without sights. After they moved production they have not made LH.

EDIT to add: Depending on how much $ you want to spend, you might look at the "custom" LH actions out there and have it built the way you want it.

The least expensive way to get a lefty CRF .338 is the Ruger 338 RCM which has iron sights as well. Following that would be to purchase a used Ruger in 7mm mag and have it rebarreled to .338 WM and add iron sights. For whatever reason, the 7mm mag has weak resell value in most rifles but you are still most likely looking at $1,200 by the time you are finished. That would put you in the same price range as what lefty Win 70's in this caliber are selling for on gunbrokers.
    As much as I love stainless I would avoid the stainless left hand Win 70's. Owned two and the factory quality was lacking.
    There is not a big difference in the ballistics of the 338 RCM and the 338 WM.
    Tennessee

thanks for the suggestions from all out there, I would be intrested in knowing any experience you all may have had with the ruger compact magnum caliber both the 338 and 375, what about price and avalibility of that ammo? I can still find 338 win ammo for less than 40$ at our local gun shop. I had a ruger stainless synthetic 338 win M77 mkII righty that had a 26" bbl but my buddy traded me out of it on my last hunt in Ak. 20" bbl and 13" length of pull on stock has me a bit concerned on those now avaliable rugers, I have long arms. I start checking gun broker more regular for the used lefty model 70. Thanks all

My son shoots lefty. Here's a good link:

http://www.gun-shots.net/left-hand-rifles.shtml

Good luck.

After looking at Snowwolfes LH Ruger 338 RCM I bought one also. To good a deal to pass up LH 338 with sights 20" light compact
    and LH. CDNN only had one left as of Tuesday!!

Could someone let me know what CDNN is, there were 2 thread replys that mentioned it thanks

I got my Tikka T3 30-06 at Sportsmans in the valley. Great gun, shoots smooth.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

CDNN Sports, INC. "AMERICA'S LARGEST HUNTING SPORTS WHOLESALE LIQUIDATOR"..............www.cdnnsports.com
    1-800-588-9500

thanks for the info on CDNN, ill check it out