Thread: 300 WBY Loads?

Question 300 WBY Loads?

Just picked up a German 300 WBY and some 180 Nosler PP with Reloader 22.

I sent it to WBY for 26" Barrel No 2 to be installed.

Any favorite loads?
    Alaska

hello i to have just recently sent my german wby in to be rebarrled im getting a 26 liteweight as i had just bought a new stock & it dictated what barrel i used i understand theese are krieger barrels my twist is 1/10 what twist did you order ? have you loaded any 180 barnse? thanks rob

hey bush man did you get your gun back frrom wby i got mine & ifound a sweet load right off very happy rem brass fed 215 primer 83grns imr 7828 180 grn barnse tsx bullets my gun shot a very nice 3/8 to 1/2 cloverleaf

Mine loves H4895 and a 180 grain Nosler Ballistic tip. I can't remeber exactly but I seem to remember using 78 grains of powder. The rifle is a Rem 721 300H&H rechambered to the WBY. Darn thing still kicks like a mule no matter what load you do though... I have shot bolt action 50BMG's that don't hurt nearly as bad!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    Mine loves H4895 and a 180 grain Nosler Ballistic tip. I can't remeber exactly but I seem to remember using 78 grains of powder. The rifle is a Rem 721 300H&H rechambered to the WBY. Darn thing still kicks like a mule no matter what load you do though... I have shot bolt action 50BMG's that don't hurt nearly as bad!
    I betcha anything it's that horrible stock. Poor design and improper fit and/or wrong lop can do that to someone...

The stock was horrible so I dropped the action into a Bell & Carlson stock. LOP is good, it's the genetic makeup of that round in a fairly light gun that colors up the shoulder. I have heard the same complaint from many 300 WBY owners and alot of installed breaks to tame the beast, I'm to stubborn to do it.

Before you go the brake route (wincing at the thought), save some coin and treat yourself to a Mickey EDGE stock. My 300 Ultra wears one and the stock only weighs 22 oz. Fits me like a glove and the recoil is not bad at all in a rifle that weighs less than 8 lbs scoped and ready to hunt. Balances very nice and points like a wand. This setup makes things far too easy.

Thanks for the tip. I am going to try a limbsaver recoil pad and see if that tames it down to a tolerable level first before any drastic purchases and then maybe restock it. I really don't want a break so I want to try anything I can first.

for loads in my Weatherby, I've been using H3831 (80 grs) and the hornady 3031 (150 gr) bullets. Get two of three bullet holes touching at 100 yards, after I floated the barrel and went through the break in procedure. This is on a used 300 Weatherby Vanguard and leupold scope. Before working the barrel, best I could get was a three inch group. Also found out my weathery hates BT bullets.

Yes I did sweet job they opened the barrel channel and installed a new 26" No. 2 Barrel she is zeroed and I am happy now!

My load is 84.0 of H4831 with 165gr Fail Safe's ........sweet load!
    Alaska