Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's see your team for next year! Break out some pics!

Default Let's see your team for next year! Break out some pics!

I'm ready for fall. I hate to say it, cause I don't want to wish summer away, but I am overly excited for this coming season ( Iknow there is a few days left for ptarmigan)! Anyway, I love all the pictures everyone posts on here! I hope everyone else will post some pictures of their dog and go to gun for next season! Lets see some pics! Most on here know I have a English setter, and from my recent post I just bought a Franchi 20 O/U. Here are the pics!

Now I would like to see your combo!

That's the Franchi you just bought? What a pretty gun (and case)!! It looks like Pax made it through the winter in pretty good shape, especially compared to the fat belly my dog is carrying at the present.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    That's the Franchi you just bought? What a pretty gun (and case)!! It looks like Pax made it through the winter in pretty good shape, especially compared to the fat belly my dog is carrying at the present.
    Thanks! It is a nice gun. I have had a few O/U over the years, but none as nice as this one. Shoots like a dream also. Pax is doing great. I head down to get him next week! Can't wait to get him home, it's been to long! You should post some pics of your pooch!

Winchester April 2011 Interior 032.jpgWinchester April 2011 Interior 020.jpgI bet you are anxious to get him back, we can't wait to see our second setter, a female from the same kennel as Winchester in late July. Here are acouple of pictures of Winchester on our latest trip to the interior a couple of weeks ago.

...talk about some happy pups now that warm weather is here!
    IMG_2196.jpgIMG_2236.jpg

Speaking of doubles, I found myself hitting a lot more ducks on the first shot with my o/u. With the modified choke in the 870, I found myself missing a lot of 20-yarders and then hitting the second when they reached 30 and the modified pattern was better. I wish I had my old Stevens side-by-side 16 up here but it stays back home in the safe... it wouldn't be shooting any steel shot anyway, and it would feel like a grizzly bear if I carried it ptarmigan hunting. It would be just the thing to swing on a grouse though. Maybe if I work up the nerve to tell my family that I'm not coming back, it'll be easier to move the 16 up here.

Quote Originally Posted by sameyer View Post
    Winchester April 2011 Interior 032.jpgWinchester April 2011 Interior 020.jpgI bet you are anxious to get him back, we can't wait to see our second setter, a female from the same kennel as Winchester in late July. Here are acouple of pictures of Winchester on our latest trip to the interior a couple of weeks ago.
    Great pics!!!!!! I didn't realize you were getting another setter! Thats great! I want another one also. Prob won't be abytime soon though! I cannot wait to get the boys together this year!

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    ...talk about some happy pups now that warm weather is here!
    IMG_2196.jpgIMG_2236.jpg

Speaking of doubles, I found myself hitting a lot more ducks on the first shot with my o/u. With the modified choke in the 870, I found myself missing a lot of 20-yarders and then hitting the second when they reached 30 and the modified pattern was better. I wish I had my old Stevens side-by-side 16 up here but it stays back home in the safe... it wouldn't be shooting any steel shot anyway, and it would feel like a grizzly bear if I carried it ptarmigan hunting. It would be just the thing to swing on a grouse though. Maybe if I work up the nerve to tell my family that I'm not coming back, it'll be easier to move the 16 up here.
    Great looking pups! I know my other dogs are happy the warm weather is here! I say get the 16 up here!

I'll play, I'm too lazy to get a photobucket account so thumbnails will have to do.

Dog: Gypsy just turned 3. Her mom was a GSP and dad a chocolate lab, neither were hunters to my knowledge. She came into our home as a family dog but for the lack of training I put in I am supremely satisfied with her abilities as a flusher. She began following scent on greater prairie-chicken and sharp-tailed grouse in Minnesota. Her first retrieves were on the sharp-tailed grouse opener when she was 5 months old.

100_0627.jpg

She has since retrieved prairie chickens, sharptails, pheasants and doves in North Dakota and Nebraska. I've also taken her waterfowling but she isn't very patient and does ok in the layout blind on field hunts but gets bored and cold and whines on water hunts. If she sees a bird fall the retrieve is fine but she doesn't have much interest in ducks or geese if she doesn't see them. She hadn't hunted since October 2009 when we went for ptarmigan the last day of the season. She was on more of a hike than anything until she hit scent and it was game on for retrieves and pursuit. Those birds frustrated the heck out of her as they scurried through the brush just in front of her nose as she trudged through the deep snow. I like to hunt behind her but she is first and foremost a jungle gym for the kids and yorkie.

gypsy4comp.jpg

Gun: 12 ga Remington 870 Express. My dad bought it for slug hunting deer in Illinois and Wisconsin when I was young. I aquired it after we moved to Nebraska because he could use a rifle. I've used it to dispatch deer, rabbit, squirrel, pheasant, dove, duck, goose, prairie chicken, sharp-tailed grouse, snipe, crane, swan, and a bunch of non-game species for scientific collections for a parisitologist in my graduate department. I'm not a great shot and have the same problem Skinny does, the birds usually fall on the second or third shot. The dog likes to hear the muzzle blast. I'd like to entertain her with a 20 ga O/U which will be my next gun purchase. It's not in the budget this year though, did you know housing is WAY more expensive here than the Midwest? Ha.

1016091551.jpg 1016091735.jpg

Beutiful dog, and great pics PG13! Can't beat an 870...I used one for many years!

Great pics! Great dogs!

Jim

I don't have a picture of her, but I currently have a Verona LX692 28ga O/U that I am selling for a friend. If I had the money, I'd ad it to my "partner" list. He shot less than a box out of it for a limit of quail, and it still looks brand new. Somebody is going to get a sweetheart of a shotgun.
    ARR
    I'll have to dig around to see if I can find any more photos of Roca the wild yellow thing.

IMG_2334.jpgIMG_2330.jpg

Because I can't get enough of dog pictures.

I still like my faithful 870, but this is the humble pair I plan to take to the fields this fall - a Stevens Mod 311 Side-by-Side 20ga and a GSP I adopted from a rescue shelter. Each only saw a couple outings last year -- so I look forward to racking up some miles with each of them in just a few months.
    Regards.

stevens side-by-side 20ga.jpg2011 04 08 Max (18).jpg

Good pics folks,, SWEET!!!! lookin' scattergun there Hoyt, I have alot of fun ahead of me this summer,, but I'm with ya,Fall never gets here soon enough. A couple pics of Daisy.. and my Benelli SBE.

end of Chukar season 043.JPGnice walk 024.JPG

Same ol' team for me!

And for special hunts on special days soon to be 14 Buddy will get the nod.

Jim

Great stuff everyone!

I love the happy faces on those bird dogs!

Nice photo, FurdsOO!

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast