Thread: Barrel Stove

Default Barrel Stove

Does anyone know if anyone sells doors for barrel stoves with a window? Or has anyone figured a way to put one on a barrel stove?
    JOHN

FYI, Northern tool carries a kit with a door, damper and legs.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_20894_20894

Sorry alaska4ever, I miss read your request. You are looking to put a "window" in a barrel stove. The Northern tool is just a regular door, still looking.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Sorry alaska4ever, I miss read your request. You are looking to put a "window" in a barrel stove. The Northern tool is just a regular door, still looking.

Mark
    Thanks Mark, I tried looking online and no results yet. I tried everyway I can think of. Interesting thought don't you think?
    JOHN

Yes it is an interesting idea. I don't burn wood myself but have an old friend that does and it is nice to see the flame in his free standing wood stove. Of course his window is in the door. What about a store that sells regular wood stoves and see if they sell just the door with a window in it?

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Yes it is an interesting idea. I don't burn wood myself but have an old friend that does and it is nice to see the flame in his free standing wood stove. Of course his window is in the door. What about a store that sells regular wood stoves and see if they sell just the door with a window in it?

That's a possibility, just curious if there were special doors for barrels. I will have to call one of those places and check on it. AOD seems to be real quiet.
    JOHN

i have found the stove kits made by Volgezang to be FAR superior ot any others i have tried, i have made about 8 barrel stoves for varios farmers here in central Pennsylvania, it started with research into moving to AK, a friend knew of my plans and asked for the "best" way for him to heat a workshop he has, i made him a kit out of a northern tool kit and lets just say it was disappointing (run away fires with high wind which worped the barrel areas, smoke leaks with overcast, poor draft days), we found the Volgezang ones and tried it, it worked so well he told everyone he knew and the next thing i knew, i was making one every 2-3 weeks for someone. the reason it seems to be so superior is that it actualy has a gasket in the door that gives a "air-tight" stove type burn, very easy to control, and almost no runaway burning in high wind times since the drafts actually work and the gasket keeps the smoke in with poor drafts. their kits are a little more expensive, however everyone i have made one for seems to think the cost is worth it after using it. In the research i have done i haven't seen any one that makes one with a window in it, i hope the info about the kit helps even if i coundn't help with the window question.

Quote Originally Posted by bklausman View Post
    i have found the stove kits made by Volgezang to be FAR superior ot any others i have tried, i have made about 8 barrel stoves for varios farmers here in central Pennsylvania, it started with research into moving to AK, a friend knew of my plans and asked for the "best" way for him to heat a workshop he has, i made him a kit out of a northern tool kit and lets just say it was disappointing (run away fires with high wind which worped the barrel areas, smoke leaks with overcast, poor draft days), we found the Volgezang ones and tried it, it worked so well he told everyone he knew and the next thing i knew, i was making one every 2-3 weeks for someone. the reason it seems to be so superior is that it actualy has a gasket in the door that gives a "air-tight" stove type burn, very easy to control, and almost no runaway burning in high wind times since the drafts actually work and the gasket keeps the smoke in with poor drafts. their kits are a little more expensive, however everyone i have made one for seems to think the cost is worth it after using it. In the research i have done i haven't seen any one that makes one with a window in it, i hope the info about the kit helps even if i coundn't help with the window question.

Thanks, appreciate it.
    JOHN

AIH in Eagle River has them.

Quote Originally Posted by eviens View Post
    AIH in Eagle River has them.

Great, I will check them out. Thanks
    JOHN

Quote Originally Posted by bklausman View Post
    My problem with the vogelzang kit is that a 6" pipe does not go into the fitting provided. I contacted them about it and the reply was " barrel stoves usually burn so hot that condensation running down inside of pipe is not an issue" Wondering how you do it.

I noticed that issue also, i just went to a local sheet metal fab shop with a 6 inch pipe and the adapter for the stove and they cut off a 1 foot peice of my pipe and made me an adapter, since i supplied the parts, was paying in cash, and it was a short job they could do between their big jobs, they only charged me for time, it took them 15 min to make it, cost was $15 (their normal rate is $60/hour). I went with them for every kit i used since i'd rather pay the $15 and have someone else make it with the right tools than mess with trying to make it myself without the right tools and have it take 1-2 hours with who-knows how much waste in failed attempts till i figured it out. i did try high temp silicone type sealer and furnace cement, but both methods pulled away after 5-10 uses since the steel of the pipe and the cast expanded at different rates.hope the info helpes