Thread: Best Allaround General Hunting Boot?

Default Best Allaround General Hunting Boot?

I know this is a broad request. I simply cant afford 4 pairs of leather hunting boots. I am considering these for most of my hunting this year.
    Any experience with Irish Setters?

http://www.irishsetterboots.com/iris...-tracker-brown

My only obvious complaint is there weight. They are comfortable when I tried them on.

I use there brother company, Redwing boots up here on the slope and I have been pleased with those.

Majority of my hunting partners use Meindls for all of their hunts here in Alaska.

Too many different feet for any consensus opinion and too many different kinds of terrain for a single type of boot...I've used Redwings previously, but not Irish Setters. RW was OK, but not great.

I've had good luck with Danners and, more recently, with Lowa as an mountainous terrain/ all around type boot.

I love my Lowas and use them for all of my hunting (except when I am in need of hip waders). I've never worn a more comfortable or capable boot (though my previous pair of Asolos were pretty stellar as well).

Why would you need 4 pairs of leather boots. I considered that same boot. I had a new pair of rocky's that shrunk and really turned me away from them again. Bought a pair of Danner Elk Hunters and really like them but not very warm when sitting for awhile. The Meindle Canadas are my fav. for the high country. But my Fav. is for anything wet or still hunting is the Muck Woody Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I love my Lowas and use them for all of my hunting (except when I am in need of hip waders). I've never worn a more comfortable or capable boot (though my previous pair of Asolos were pretty stellar as well).
    Which Lowa's do you have?
    I have herd great reviews on there boots but I am unsure on which model though.

Another vote for Meindel. Have used on 2 sheep hunts, 3 moose hunts, 2 bou hunts. Great quality, great price and they fit my foot well. Wanted to buy the Lowas, but my feet just don't like them.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I'm pretty happy with my Danner Pronghorns (new style) so far. I haven't had them in the mountains yet, but they are a good all around boot IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound View Post
    Which Lowa's do you have?
    I have herd great reviews on there boots but I am unsure on which model though.
    I have the Tibet GTX. A number of guys on here have the Hunter GTX, but I don't like how tall the cuff is on those for all-around use. I've been using mine for about 6 years now and have absolutely abused these things. I'll likely be getting a new pair this year, and there's no question that I'll be getting the same boot.

I have put a few miles on a pair of Lowa Hunter GTXs over the last 5 years and am very impressed with how they fit my feet and the support they offer.

Some great candidates there boys!
    Now for my next question. Where can I go in anchorage or the valley to try out the different Lowas and Meindels?
    Boot Country carry both Brands?
    And as for the Meindels, which model seem to be the most popular up here?
    Thanks for the great help so far. I think I am going to spend some $$$ tomorrow on some footwear!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I have the Tibet GTX. A number of guys on here have the Hunter GTX, but I don't like how tall the cuff is on those for all-around use. .
    I have the Tibets as well. I have to mirror Brian's sentiments on the Hunter being too tall. I just don't like anything riding that far up on my shin. I don't know how much additional support they offer but after using the Tibets I can't imagine anymore support until you get into a plastic boot. My one experience with plastic boots wasn't positive, but thats really a speciality item, well outside the "all around boot" topic.