Thread: another DIY'er planning

Default another DIY'er planning

I am also planning a DIY caribou hunt. I have feverishly been reading the archives and all that. Is late Aug to early for a caribou hunt? still in the planning stages but thinking around KOTZ for the hunt location.

Default depends

I think it depends on where you are planning on hunting. I can't speak for Kotz, but up north its not too early.
    I usually hunt the 40 mile herd simply because it is close to home. August is sometimes a bit early for them (depending on where you choose to hunt them), but an August caribou is guaranteed good eating, and you may find that there is less competition early in the season. The biggest caribou I ever killed was an August bull that I came across while hunting black bears up in the blueberries.

Whatever hub you fly out of, Kotz, Bettles, Coldfoot, etc. if you want to hunt Aug. then you better plan on hunting in unit 26. 90%, give or take a few, of the herds in the northern part of the state are all in unit 26 in august. Very few come south of the Brooks, with our warmer weather, until late sept.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

thank guys this will be very usefull in my planning

Default kill them early

I got caribou since 2000 either on the 10th or 11th of Aug and the meat was great and the Bulls were huge