Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Cabin fever

  1. #1
    Member alaska4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Remote Skwentna
    Posts
    780

    Default Cabin fever

    I'm sure that some of you had noticed that I was gone for awhile. I was struck with "CABIN FEVER" real bad. There were a few other issues I needed to tend to also but, I won't go into them here. I needed to take a break from AOD because I was getting caught up in things that was getting me somewhat upset and that just isn't me. Anyway, the time I took off and with "BREAKUP" in progress and the longer days makes for good medicine. My question is, are there anyone else who had/has "CABIN FEVER"? How are you coping or how did you get over it?
    JOHN

  2. #2

    Default

    I get cabin fever in the winter, too....but not quite the same. I get claustrophobic being in town and can't wait until breakup so I can get to the cabin! We all have our own poisons. Good to have you back!

  3. #3
    Member kodiakrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kodiak, Ak
    Posts
    3,175

    Default

    Yeah, I've found the Forums go pretty wierd in mid winter, easy to either get caught up in it, or just leave it alone for a while.
    Glad you're back and feeling better,
    I find, "Getting Outside, Walking Far, in the weather, nice, or nasty,"
    is my single best cure for "The Fever"

    I imagine you do that a fair bit anyway, where you are,
    and maybe letting the forums thing rest, helped to get you back out the door,
    onto your snowshoes, breathing the Cold Air, .... where a man oughta be,....

    I don't think we were designed for computer desks and "Monitor Vision" and Keyboard finger stress,....

    It can be fun and entertaining to stay in touch with other like minded folks tho, only reason I keep loggin on,
    and for the wierdness of the internet,....
    regularly take a break, and never get wound up about any of it, no matter what

    Enjoy the Spring, 4ever
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

  4. #4
    Member alaska4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Remote Skwentna
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    I get cabin fever in the winter, too....but not quite the same. I get claustrophobic being in town and can't wait until breakup so I can get to the cabin! We all have our own poisons. Good to have you back!

    Thanks, I know what you are saying. Sometimes, those of us who live remote forget that there are people on the road system who gets "CABIN FEVER" in a different way.
    JOHN

  5. #5
    Member alaska4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Remote Skwentna
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Yeah, I've found the Forums go pretty wierd in mid winter, easy to either get caught up in it, or just leave it alone for a while.
    Glad you're back and feeling better,
    I find, "Getting Outside, Walking Far, in the weather, nice, or nasty,"
    is my single best cure for "The Fever"

    I imagine you do that a fair bit anyway, where you are,
    and maybe letting the forums thing rest, helped to get you back out the door,
    onto your snowshoes, breathing the Cold Air, .... where a man oughta be,....

    I don't think we were designed for computer desks and "Monitor Vision" and Keyboard finger stress,....

    It can be fun and entertaining to stay in touch with other like minded folks tho, only reason I keep loggin on,
    and for the wierdness of the internet,....
    regularly take a break, and never get wound up about any of it, no matter what

    Enjoy the Spring, 4ever

    I have been getting out quite a bit and actually limited my time on the computer. I have been spending more time out taking pictures and working on my blog. I will be doing my countdown to June when I go up North and start building my new cabin, that will keep me busy.
    JOHN

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lindrith, NM
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alaska4ever View Post
    I have been getting out quite a bit and actually limited my time on the computer. I have been spending more time out taking pictures and working on my blog. I will be doing my countdown to June when I go up North and start building my new cabin, that will keep me busy.
    Isn't working on your blog same as time on the computer???

  7. #7
    Member alaska4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Remote Skwentna
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R Walter View Post
    Isn't working on your blog same as time on the computer???
    The operative word here is "LIMITED" like in working on my blog only,takes about maybe 10 to 15 min. at the most. Does that work for ya?
    JOHN

  8. #8

    Default

    Though I have never experienced Cabin Fever first hand...I have suffered it here on the AOD Forum...year after year.
    Breakup seems to be the worst time of year for many...Some have found relief by the simple act of getting out and just killing something, besides time. That is why Bear Season was adopted for early spring, a long time ago.
    Lots of ways to cope with it...expressing anger and frustration by writing op/ed's to the local gossip pages...whiskey bottle...dope, legal and illicit forms...mental counseling...support groups...therapists...shop til ya drop spending binges...pick up sticks in the yard, etc
    The newest forms of keeping minds and hands busy of course is the gameboys and computers, for the really wired folks they carry electronic devices or attach them to their bodies so they get continuous relief...
    Sounds like you don't have it real bad, yet, if you are able to step away from your devices any time during the day or night.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  9. #9

    Default

    R Walter, I guess in NM there isnt the long dark winters but it is a relief to check on how people are doing and how their wilderness winter was. Alaska4ever keep up the blog it is great to hear how things are going, see photos and listen to great advice and tips. Keep up the bkog. Thanks.

  10. #10
    Member alaska4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Remote Skwentna
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Though I have never experienced Cabin Fever first hand...I have suffered it here on the AOD Forum...year after year.
    Breakup seems to be the worst time of year for many...Some have found relief by the simple act of getting out and just killing something, besides time. That is why Bear Season was adopted for early spring, a long time ago.
    Lots of ways to cope with it...expressing anger and frustration by writing op/ed's to the local gossip pages...whiskey bottle...dope, legal and illicit forms...mental counseling...support groups...therapists...shop til ya drop spending binges...pick up sticks in the yard, etc
    The newest forms of keeping minds and hands busy of course is the gameboys and computers, for the really wired folks they carry electronic devices or attach them to their bodies so they get continuous relief...
    Sounds like you don't have it real bad, yet, if you are able to step away from your devices any time during the day or night.

    Not have, had. That is why I was not on AOD for a long time. I was feeling good until I started the Bin Laden thread, now I'm sorry I did. I am done with it and will ignore anyone who wants to taunt me. These kind of people arn't worth responding to. From now on it's sunny days.
    JOHN

  11. #11
    Member alaska4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Remote Skwentna
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blofgren View Post
    R Walter, I guess in NM there isnt the long dark winters but it is a relief to check on how people are doing and how their wilderness winter was. Alaska4ever keep up the blog it is great to hear how things are going, see photos and listen to great advice and tips. Keep up the bkog. Thanks.
    Thanks, it will get much better when I start building the new cabin and improving on the homestead.
    JOHN

  12. #12

    Default

    [QUOTE= From now on it's sunny days.[/QUOTE]

    Sun is shining, birds are chirping, grass is growing, people are smiling...A Great Day to be Alive!!!
    All is well....with you and I.

    I too find a great deal of contentment, simply by turning off the news...tune out mankind and focus on the natural world...even if only for brief moments throughout the day.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  13. #13
    Member Alaska Grandma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    little log cabin on the river
    Posts
    645

    Default

    I am just one member here who is very glad you are back John and doing well at getting rid of those winter blues. And it is good thing to take a break from the forum once in a while too I think.

    Hard to imagine anyone who has lived in AK for a while, year around, claiming to never ever had any experience with cabin fever, but I suppose there are those that just have to be special.
    Ha ha.

    I tend to feel it most after the holidays, when the kids have come home during Christmas break then go back to town and UAF. It's as dark as it gets and the deep cold sets in. I do get out every day regardless of temps to do all the outside chores that need to be done, but I also try to get out just to do something for me, something just for fun... A snowshoe, a walk with a dog or two, or a short ski. Sometimes cooking up a special or different meal can help cheer up the spirit! That seems to help me a lot.

    Spring is here the birds are singing and the rivers and lakes are just about liquid and it will be time for some fishing. Summer will be here soon and I am looking forward to it.

    Hard not to be cheery this time of year.
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

  14. #14
    Member alaska4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Remote Skwentna
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Grandma View Post
    I am just one member here who is very glad you are back John and doing well at getting rid of those winter blues. And it is good thing to take a break from the forum once in a while too I think.

    Hard to imagine anyone who has lived in AK for a while, year around, claiming to never ever had any experience with cabin fever, but I suppose there are those that just have to be special.
    Ha ha.

    I tend to feel it most after the holidays, when the kids have come home during Christmas break then go back to town and UAF. It's as dark as it gets and the deep cold sets in. I do get out every day regardless of temps to do all the outside chores that need to be done, but I also try to get out just to do something for me, something just for fun... A snowshoe, a walk with a dog or two, or a short ski. Sometimes cooking up a special or different meal can help cheer up the spirit! That seems to help me a lot.

    Spring is here the birds are singing and the rivers and lakes are just about liquid and it will be time for some fishing. Summer will be here soon and I am looking forward to it.

    Hard not to be cheery this time of year.
    Grandma Lori
    Thanks, I think it was a combination of spending time on the computer and just being within travel distance of a village. I really don't like being around large groups of people. This year will change once I get up to build my cabin up North and retire there. The only people I will see is, the people I invite. Also, I won't have to worry about Pebbole Mine coming in and ruining the enviroment. The funny thing about holidays, in my younger days it didn't bother me to be alone although once in awhile someone would come and visit. Now that I am getting up in years, I feel it wouldn't be bad to have a better half around That's another story. Who knows, things may change in that dept. But, the new cabin comes first.
    JOHN

  15. #15
    Member Dirtofak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Creek
    Posts
    2,267

    Default

    I believe that this winter was one of the easiest for me. I found that I really don't mind sub-zero temps as long as I don't need a GPS, IR goggles, a compass and a map to find my way around. There were a couple weekends when navigation proved tough. Ice fishing in the dark isn't so bad and next year I hope to have a mini-shanty.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

  16. #16
    Member Alaska Grandma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    little log cabin on the river
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    I believe that this winter was one of the easiest for me. I found that I really don't mind sub-zero temps as long as I don't need a GPS, IR goggles, a compass and a map to find my way around. There were a couple weekends when navigation proved tough. Ice fishing in the dark isn't so bad and next year I hope to have a mini-shanty.
    We had a wild ride this winter as far as the weather went. I don't mind the cold temps too much, but it was the snow and the wind and the blowing snow that kept me the most busy. Every time I and my dogs would get one of the trails in, it would snow and blow hard and we were back to round 1 again. Although she did her best, my lead dog got tired of it too. There were a couple mornings I'd get up and I didn't even have a trail past my porch to the dog yards!

    John, yeah it does help to have a partner around (but you really have to get along or it just makes everything worse). The dogs are a help with the companionship issue too.

    Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

  17. #17
    Member alaska4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Remote Skwentna
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Grandma View Post
    We had a wild ride this winter as far as the weather went. I don't mind the cold temps too much, but it was the snow and the wind and the blowing snow that kept me the most busy. Every time I and my dogs would get one of the trails in, it would snow and blow hard and we were back to round 1 again. Although she did her best, my lead dog got tired of it too. There were a couple mornings I'd get up and I didn't even have a trail past my porch to the dog yards!

    John, yeah it does help to have a partner around (but you really have to get along or it just makes everything worse). The dogs are a help with the companionship issue too.

    Lori

    I hear ya, that's why I have resisted for this long.
    JOHN

  18. #18
    Member alaska4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Remote Skwentna
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Cabin fever seems to be over for me. I have 3 weeks left til I head up to my homestead and start building the new cabin.
    JOHN

  19. #19
    Member Alaska Grandma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    little log cabin on the river
    Posts
    645

    Default

    if this was Facebook...I would say

    Like!
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

  20. #20
    Member alaska4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Remote Skwentna
    Posts
    780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Grandma View Post
    if this was Facebook...I would say

    Like!

    I read ya. Can't wait to get started.
    JOHN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •