Thread: Black bears out of Seward area

Default Black bears out of Seward area

Was wondering if anyone would share some general information on this? I saw some writings about Johnstone Bay, but are there some other areas as well to look at? Plan to take 3 to 4 days and look around some this year. Thanks for the assistance.

Good luck to all this year in our outdoor adventures.
    Tony

Bear glacier is worth a look. Hike up into the drainage and do some late evening glassing.
    BK

One thing to consider about the bays between Seward and the Sound is that they are open to the Gulf. More often than not there is a decent roll hitting the beach. It can get quite sporty getting to shore and then back to the big boat. Sheltered anchorages are limited as well. I have seen some nice bears in that area.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Thanks for the info on Bear glacier. Spoiled one, for sure on the open water. I have had more than my share of excitement with up to 20' out there. No fun and no protection. I also am thinking about going up into the back of day harbor towards the glacier back in there. Have a few weeks to work out the final plans...
    Tony

Know exactly where your going around Bear Glacier. The National park is real close. They frown on hunting.

FWIW I lived down there and drove the Highway for my job for 5 years. Never had problems picking them out around Moose Pass, Hatchery area. All bears spotted from road. Kenai lake towards the island towards cooper landing via boat put black dots in the binoculars. Depends on what you wanna use to get out an Bout.

Just got back from Seward, went out to Rugged Island one day and Pony Cove the next on the way back in the northern hill sides were showing hardly any snow, did not see any bears but was not really looking for them. Just went out for an early fishing trip and to make sure the boat ran good for the upcoming summer adventures. Also ran up into Thumb Cove, lots of snowless mountain sides/valleys, seems like the snow is really dissappearing early this year, just my observation. Good luck and hope this bit of info helped.

Cooper Lake at the end of Snug Harbor Rd is a great place for bears. Are you want to hunt form the salt water??

akpolaris, yeah I will hunt from my ocean boat, it's a 31' Uniflite. While I will look around most of the beaches, I think I will head toward Montague maybe focus north of the island and get back into some protected areas. Want to fish some too during the day for butt's...
    Tony