Thread: Moose Sheds

Default Moose Sheds

Hello..I am a wildlife artist, and I really want to do some antler carving. I am pretty new to Alaska. I have done ALOT of shed hunting in Arizona for elk and coues deer. I want to get out and pick up some moose sheds. My question is, do the bulls winter in river bottoms? Canyons? In people's back yards in Anchorage? I would like some advise on what type of areas to focus on. Maybe they are like all the other antlers I have picked up and they "are where the are"! I drove to Copper Center the other day, and there is ALOT of country up North here! If anyone could give me any pointers, that would be cool. Or, if anybody would like to team up for a shed hunt, that would be way cool to! If we did well, there might be a moose antler carving in it for you!

Go to the hide and horn auction at fur rondo and buy 'em. Of course that does not help you for another 10 months or so. As far as shed hunting... Man this ain't Arizona, you could spend a week straight looking and not find one. Just spend time outdoors and if you bump into one, great, but don't make that your only focus or it will be discouraging

Roughly where are you.......in Alaska.....???

Well....I am not in Alaska, I am in Anchorage!

Actually, I will take Anchorage anyday over where I came from! I have been here almost a year now, and have loved every second of it!

Quote Originally Posted by outrider View Post
    Well....I am not in Alaska, I am in Anchorage!
    WOW, You got that correct........We pick-up a lot of dead Goat Horns (Avalanche kills) and Moose drops, in the area across from Johnson Pass trail head, there is a huge cleared area, and avalanche run'out that has what you quest. It is directly across from the winter recreation thingie. (Just a guess, but maybe mile 64'ish Seward Hwy.)

Have found some "Hog" Moose drops & some 10"+ dead Goats. Good luck.

Palmer Creek has a lot of nice Moose Drops. You can NOT hunt there but there are some nice moose in the back of the valley.

It's not easy to find sheds because there is so much land to be explored here but it is not impossible. I found a really nice shed laying in the middle of the road in an area that I hunt for grouse. Speaking of which I have actully been looking for someone to do a carving for me on that antler. If you want to do it I would really like to talk to you about it. I also have a couple of smaller moose antlers I could give you for doing it along with payment of course. If you are interested let me know.

Oh great, another Arizonian!

yeah, I know. AZ is a cool state. Born and raised in White Mountains! Where you from AZinAK? AGL4now......Thanks for the information. I will check it out. I am mostly a sculptor. I do Wildlife bronzes. But the whole antler carving idea has me exited! If I can score a few antlers. Thanks again. I will return and report.

Bravo4hunter.....I will stay in touch. Maybe this winter after the fish stop running and my hunts are over I will look you up and get your horn from you and work on it for you. I will post some pictures of my next carving and you can see if you like it. Gotta get the antler first! Just cant bring myself to "buy" antlers! But, with gas at $4.15 a gallon, I would probably save money! But, its a great excuse to get out in the woods and enjoy the spring!

IMG_0125.jpgIMG_0111.jpgIMG_0111.jpgheres a few a buddy and I found few years back,,3 days out looking,,,good luck

WOW! I have wanted to do some shed hunting myself, but have no idea even were to begin! If anyone has some info on where to start in Fairbanks, let me know please. Thanks!
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

I found one in the flats over by the shooting range... it had been gnawed on by a fox or coyote or something. Saw dozens of moose bedding along the river during the winter caribou hunt, so there might be some antlers in the willow bushes over that way too.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

WOW! nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by outrider View Post
    yeah, I know. AZ is a cool state. Born and raised in White Mountains! Where you from AZinAK? AGL4now......Thanks for the information. I will check it out. I am mostly a sculptor. I do Wildlife bronzes. But the whole antler carving idea has me exited! If I can score a few antlers. Thanks again. I will return and report.
    You have a PM...

AZinAK

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    WOW! I have wanted to do some shed hunting myself, but have no idea even were to begin! If anyone has some info on where to start in Fairbanks, let me know please. Thanks!
    The ranges on Ft. Greely we use to find them all over all the time. And with the brigade deployed it should be pretty quiet over that way all summer. Then you can head up the highway a few more miles and fine bou racks all over.

I used to work out in point Mack on a farm and we would find prolly 50 a year on his 325 acres, I bet if you went around to some of the farms out there that use "rows" (a strip of hay, strip of brush strip of hay exc..) you could find a bunch, ust walk along the out side or right throught the middle of the brush rows if you can, bring a 20 GA if they let you, and you can get a buncha rabbits too.

the folks out there are usualy pretty easy going, and may even go with you if they aren't to busy, if you can't get any permission, there is a little public land you could search (down power line trails and such) but thats a long drive and I don't have any experience in that area.