Thread: First trip to Situk went well!

Default First trip to Situk went well!

Had a great time on the Situk this week. Took too much crap but I'm not a camper or backpacker so I guess it was better safe then sorry. Next year I'll do it differently.

I caught enough fish to be very happy. I'll try to post some of my video but its pretty bad although its in HD. No room to set up a tripod and I was doing my best to get the fish back in the water quickly.

I had my share of problems. New stove had to be broken down twice to get it to work although the jet screw was rusted in. Cut my hand trying to break it free. Swore enough and loud enough that I did not see any bear although I did see tracks. First night stove in cabin was broke and froze my ass off but forest service flew out and fixed it the next day.

My new Kingpin Imperial failed on me. Never used it and by day 4 it sounded like a jet plane and would not pay out line. Raven reel bailed me out that I've owned for 4 years with no problems.

I'll be back although I'm hoping to float the river next year as well. Video is forthcoming after I edit out all the swear words. I think you need two people to take good picture or videos of fish.

cant wait to see the video! what part of michigan are you from?
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Quote Originally Posted by Situk2011 View Post
    I think you need two people to take good picture or videos of fish.

Yep. Look forward to the pics and glad you found some fish. Sucks about the Kingpin. Got the wife one recently at WWA and it is smooth as silk. Any idea what went wrong with yours. Drop or damage it? Any parts loose? Just curious what may be the culprit as I am considering buying another. Always bad to hear about gear failing.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I'm from Grand rapids area, Middleville is the town I live near. As far as the Kingpin I got a bit of dirt in it just off of my hands. I was able to dunk it and clear out the gritty sound. It has a roaring sound to it but it did initially and it had me a little worried but was still smooth. No falls with it and I was babying it since it was new and on my new cts rod I built. I've had the same happen to the raven sst 2 but its always recovered. I'm more then disappointed. I buy my reels through Erie outfitters in Ohio so I'll give him a call tomorrow. I'm thinking the bearings have dirt in them so I guess I'll be digging into the reel soon and take a spare pair with me next year. Hope its easy to get the bearings out.

By the way Dan congratulations on your first fish. Very nice. I had two 4 fish days a 3 fish day and one fish day but never got over 35 inches. Mine were all hens except 2 fish that were bucks and they were the smallest. All hens measured b/w 33 and 35 inches and every one were fresh fish. Males were probably drop backs from the lake My goal was to get a 36 inch or bigger fish and you did that with one fish. And I love the colors of your fish. I can relate to tight quarters you fished in. It was a lot of work crossing the river when it was chest high and weaving my 13 footer through brush. I should have broken the rod down.

So Dan I take it you came to the Situk. I was there b/w the 18th and 26th but i wondering where you fished. I didn't see many people.

I'm from Grand rapids area, Middleville is the town I live near. As far as the Kingpin I got a bit of dirt in it just off of my hands. I was able to dunk it and clear out the gritty sound. It has a roaring sound to it but it did initially and it had me a little worried but was still smooth. No falls with it and I was babying it since it was new and on my new cts rod I built. I've had the same happen to the raven sst 2 but its always recovered. I'm more then disappointed. I buy my reels through Erie outfitters in Ohio so I'll give him a call tomorrow. I'm thinking the bearings have dirt in them so I guess I'll be digging into the reel soon and take a spare pair with me next year. Hope its easy to get the bearings out.

By the way Dan congratulations on your first fish. Very nice. I had two 4 fish days a 3 fish day and one fish day but never got over 35 inches. Mine were all hens except 2 fish that were bucks and they were the smallest. All hens measured b/w 33 and 35 inches and every one were fresh fish. Males were probably drop backs from the lake My goal was to get a 36 inch or bigger fish and you did that with one fish. And I love the colors of your fish. I can relate to tight quarters you fished in. It was a lot of work crossing the river when it was chest high and weaving my 13 footer through brush. I should have broken the rod down.

So Dan I take it you came to the Situk. I was there b/w the 18th and 26th but i wondering where you fished. I didn't see many people.

Quote Originally Posted by Situk2011 View Post

We did a 30 mile float plane trip out of Ketchikan to a lake with a cabin. Fished the river that flows out of the lake. Would like to see the Situk sometime, maybe even next spring. Heard so much about it and almost went last spring when I first got the urge to catch a steelhead. We opted for a remote cabin on POW instead. Got our ass handed to us, but went back again this year for some more. Paid off.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.