Thread: Afterthoughts of a thread gone awry...

Default Afterthoughts of a thread gone awry...

After a recent thread started in a subforum on this website... it got me to thinking about the caliber of people that participate in said subforums.

This is a post from a friend of mine, from another site, that I though I would share with you. It is somewhat long, but it illustrates the importance of paying attention, and reading... not only when developing load data, but also in forums, and in normal ordinary everyday life.

From Randy

"I was searching for an appropriate place to put this post so the most people would read it. I chose here as it is the most general category and gets the most traffic.

To start,,,Many people don't understand that you might not get the full meaning of a sentence the first time you read it. This goes double for articles about technical subjects.

When I see an article in one of my magazines that is about something I am interested in, I typically skim thru it to see what is there to be absorbed. If I see something particularly interesting I will re read the article in my easy chair. Then the magazine is relagated to the bathroom.

Just about everytime I go in there for a sit down the mag I'm currently reading comes out and I start reading the most interesting articles first. I sometimes read the most interesting articles over and over, as there may be technical details I need to understand fully. I sometimes just pick up the mag that has the most good stuff in it and reread my favorite articles out of shear boredom cuz no new magazines are available. I can usually completely read a Handloader mag cover to cover in about 6 trips to the bathroom. I also make it a habit to read the mag cover to cover regardless of whether I like a certain article or not. All of them have info that could be useful. You can't fill up your brain, although I have certainly met people who were seriously overloaded.

If it has articles on loading 40's .44's, 45's .45-70's, .30-06's or now .308's ,I will read them over and over to absorb such details as Powder charges and types, bullet types and weights that have worked well for some gun writer who has 30-50 years experience and does it every day. There are several I consider to be very credible as I have read so many of their articles that if they were going to contradict themselves they would have done it already.. This is one of the ways I figure out if someone really knows what he is talking about. If he is consistant over the years he probably has a good understanding of what he speaks.

I have one particular issue of Handloader which has a complete desertation on loading the .45-70 for Marlin Rifles by Brian Pearce. I have read that article at least 100 times and I can pretty much recite it verbatum from memory. I also have a really good understanding of the .45-70 cartridge, and can produce loads from plinkers to Dinosaur blasters. Mainly because of this one article. I have many others on the same subject, but this one covers it all in perfectly ordered detail, by someone who knows what he is talking about, and has the heads on the wall to prove it.

Currently as of Apr 15 2011, all of my magazine subscriptions have articles about the new Ruger Gunsite Carbine.

Since I bought one recently and have yet to receive it, all of this information, from many different sources, is currently very interesting to me, and helps my understanding of the gun and the problems and solutions associated with the gun. I will completely understand the gun and all it's intended functions long before I ever shoot it.

No matter how hard I try I can't absorb and retain everything in one of those articles with only one read thru. No offense, but neither can you! In fact it is a very rare person who can. Especially when the subject matter is very technical in nature and is laced with technical terms that not everybody readily understands.

My purpose in this post is to get people to realize that they need to read and reread posts and articles, or portions thereof, over and over until they do fully understand what the author was trying to convey. This will increase your competance with respect to the given subject.. This is a good thing! I think we can all agree on that.

If I ask you a question about something and you can't rattle off a coherant answer to that question, in plain english, without a bunch of humms and haws, then you don't understand it. Simple as that. (another way to tell if somone knows what he is taking about.)

A perfect example is my "getting" that the trigger guard on the M77GS being made out of plastic on the first read thru of somebodies post on this site. True but not entirely correct, as it is made from "Glass Filled Nylon". Certainly this is plastic but it is very good plastic and very close to steel in it 's strength. Not the same conatation as just saying "plastic" which is obviously cheap spuge that should never be near a gun. Point here is this person doesn't know what Glass Filled Nylon is, all he knows is it is plastic of some kind. His implied conatation was negative, however reality proves otherwise, and Glass Filled Nylon is excellent material for this application, just like similar polymers are for Glock Frames.

Thus the image I retained from this post was not entirely correct. In other words,,, I "knew" it was plastic, but now after reading several articles, I fully "understand" that it is Glass Filled Nylon which is really good plastic. I can now tell someone else about this subject with confidence that I am not spreading mis-information.

I'm sure anyone reading this post can insert their own experiences that relate to the topic of this post.

MY ***point*** is to emphisize that to further your understanding of this sport and for that matter anything you are learning about, you must read and re-read (study ) the information presented many times, in order to extract the true meaning out of the verbage, and to promote complete understanding of the subject at hand.

This goes double for things you read on a forum as it is only natural to take exception to something you disagree with and fly off, only to find out the next sentence clarifies the subject .

I see this all the time when somebody responds to a post with 3 questions, but only gets an answer to one.

Think about it. I think you'll all agree,,, Understanding enhances enjoyment!

At the end of the day, repitition is the key to understanding. I'm sure most here remember learning your multiplication tables 50 years ago. How'd that go for you? It was all about repitition back then, and it still should be that way today.

But alas,,, "change is enevitable".

Our younger members probably didn't have to learn their multiplication tables because they were issued Pocket Calculators at birth! How's that workin' for you?"

Default Whatever caliber people generally have their hearts in the right place.

Quote Originally Posted by dammdoggs View Post
    After a recent thread started in a subforum on this website... it got me to thinking about the caliber of people that participate in said subforums.
    .....(truncated for brevity)
    I see this all the time when somebody responds to a post with 3 questions, but only gets an answer to one.

Think about it. I think you'll all agree,,, Understanding enhances enjoyment!

At the end of the day, repitition is the key to understanding. I'm sure most here remember learning your multiplication tables 50 years ago. How'd that go for you? It was all about repitition back then, and it still should be that way today.

But alas,,, "change is enevitable".

Our younger members probably didn't have to learn their multiplication tables because they were issued Pocket Calculators at birth! How's that workin' for you?"
    Good post. (Spoken like one who has been misunderstood in the past.)

I agree totally, but for one thing. Your spelling.

Attention to detail, whether it is reading and understanding the post to which one is responding, or properly composing (and spell-checking) your response is important, if not for substance, for appearance.

Human nature is human nature. To not allow for it in others is also human nature.

Good post. I totally agree with you. I cannot deny my nature.

Lost Sheep

Well COCKADOODLEDOO!
    Semper Fi!

I see your perception as being flawed...
    Repetative discussion and comment here on this very forum..eg..30:06vsXXMag, Moose or Caribou, Sheep or Goat yada yada...have yielded no conclusivie findings. I find it best to read the comments for entertainment purposes and do what you already had in mind...Trust your gut.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~