Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Same ol' Spring :D

Default Same ol' Spring :D

At the risk of being repititious, and certainly not to brag, the last two weeks went quite well, bringing a nice FAT Browngrizz back on the 15th, a few inches short of 8 feet (plywood sheet length ~LOL!~), enough Wolves to make a blanket and sheets set, and then things just went from there.....
    With a gas trip to a small ocean side village, we stayed a night with our oldest son at his new house, bought gas and effected repairs to my clutch, I visited old friends and prepared to leave......My old friend Gibson M being quite nice (which was kinda unusall), and we parted with smiles after a couple hours of visiting, his brother called me over and but 2 hours later was quite dead. I confirmed that, called the troopers and we spent the next 5 days digging and preparing.....

Anyway, after was all said and shovled, we returned to our mountain hosenda and moved our gear to our Spring area, to which we shall return soon.....though we almost stayed anyway when my RMK's power valve snapped off and went into my piston, seizing my engine.......soooooooooooo, to make a long story short, we tore down and rebuilt that engine, in awsome sunshine, right on the trail, 75 miles from anyone........and it got us home.......

Caught this one howling from the rocks above

The wife skinning inside the "White house" cabin.

Skinning a few more in Deering, as we hunted our way there, quite sucessfully.

Bear Paw soup

Most of our adventures are on vid, which Im desperatly trying to download, with some excellent Wolfing shots and a sweet double head shot at 400 yards on my breakfast steak
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Done for the day

The top of a "Caribou Corral" which oldtimers used to funnel herds of Caribou into sets of snares and such, with a hundred others as a giant "V", the 'Supermarket" of its day

Ther herds of Caribou are gathering and it was almost crazy with too many running around, making tracking a real "job" ~LOL!~

Oddly, we only saw (and caught) grey and white Wolves, not a single Black one.........

Well done. I like the way you grocery shop.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Wow. Awesome pics!
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Great pictures! Looks like another good spring for ya. Do you normally do good on the wolves like that?

Its good hearing from you and seeing some of your pictures once again! Glad you were able to get your sled running out there can't imagine walking or towing it that far.

Always a pleasure to see what can be if willing to live it.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Stranger, we never get tired of your stories, adventures and livin on the edge in your part of Alaska! Keep 'em coming!

One of a dozen or so Fox I caught as well. Fox in the late season are often Cherry with a touch of yellow, a cool color varient to skin sewing woman.

Heres something I do well at.....

And something I dont do so well at........ my attempt at "Eskimo style" skinning, open belly, not cased, and the wife wouldnt stand to watch me do one, least the four there that night..........~~LOL!!~~ but she sews 'em, so one must do as told or step aside..........

A night made for Howling and drawing them in close so I could track them at first light.........

Some years I do much better than this, some years I take pictures and watch them do their thang.........It mostly depends on the wife, what she wants or what she needs, and if she is indeed sewing, as she took about two years off, and only this last year picked her needle up and went back to it.
    As for posting pictures, its the best I can do. My internet needs to be upgraded from what we have now (it WAS soooooo much better till Dec.) Dial up would be an upgrade now......Ive got a Bear shooting downloading on 'Facebook' and a two minute vid is looking at 14-18 hours to download, so I'll sleep on that ~~LOL!!~~ but all else 'times out' so Im screwed.......

Breakfast steaks....

The wife tying down....

Me trying to be unbrokendown.....on a beautifull day.......

Nothing like a powervalve stopping the show.

Pinched the top of the cup to the rigs, so recrafting that with a pocket knife and a needle file were the order of the day, AFTER stripping down to the crank to remove the 'small things".........but were home, repaired and rolling........just gotta love having a sone who can put 9 hours nto your engine and undercarriage....heck, sometimes I think he might have listend to me....

Hey, take a look at that paw picture, real close like......they have that "carpet" paw, fresh from the den.

The Bear was funny , actually, as the wife was sure she had her eyes on 3 or more Wolves moving up the mountain, so we were trying to get above them on the mountain and use a small creek to do so, but bumped into Mr. Browngrizz.......so, since he ranked low on our Hunting scale, I turned around and took the ridge that was to the south, and blasted up that.......but eveidently mr.Browngrizz had heard us and was a running up the ridge as we were ascending, so , since he was fat, and the "Wolves" she was sure of were the Caribou I was sure of, and so being Meats and not Fur, I turned my attentions to Mr.Browngrizz who by then had turned around, made the 400 or so yards to where he felt safe enough to look back and walk met his demise that way when I put that Mosins sight on his head and sent him a 'flipper', 'cause thats what he did, like a head stand......since his meat was load enough, no Caribu were hurt inthe making of this hunt~~LOL!!~~

Anyway, I'll stop there, I dont want to come across as 'Bragging", just relating for the story here. I dont think Im "more" or "better" theres plent of them outthere that are so much better, but sharing here is something I do and they dont, so please take it at that, 'cause its better to say nothing to to look boastfull, and I just want to share anyway.

Wow now that's a hunt on the edge. Pretty good you could fix the Polaris with a minimum of "tools". Is that a factory pocket knife?
    Its good the weather was cooperative. So, what cuts of bear did you save for breakfast steak? What caliber is that Mosin Nagant?
    8mm?
    Thanks for a great post and great photos. Looking forward to the video too.

Wow what an adventure!! You have no idea how envious I am all I can say is INCREDIBLE!!

Stranger,
    I never think of your posts as boastful, and I would hope no one else would either. You live a life that is dependent on the activities that you have posted about. I can sit in my warm store here in Kansas, and be envious, but in reality, not sure I could live it like you do. You give us a whole different perspective of "subsistance", and I thank you. Hope you can someday get an update to your internet service, because I would love to view your videos. Keep doin what you do. Knute

simply awesome. nice of you to share, as always.

The pocket Knife is a Camilus,made in USA getting thepiston ring groove wide and smooth enough for proper operations was a tiny chore and not chipping the cup edge a slow and tedious shave......as well as getting the grit, crap and shavings in the crank with a gallon or so of Gasoline flushing it all. Got home and replaced the pistons anyway, just because I had a set on hand.

The rifle is 7.62X54R Sako M-39 variation of the Mosin Nagant, the bullets are Czeck Light ball, 149 grain steel cored FMJ's, and accurate , deep tumbling round.

The wife and I working together to make this a living. Its fun to work together with her , and my sons gowing from being along to being partners in the frey......the girls are getting more than usefull as well

Its nice seeing the fur go from the animals back to a persons, heck, I even feel good when I kill something.

Dont you?

I dont see this as on the Edge, 'cause thats how I think City folks live...too crazy, and when I do visit I take it easy.......Cars in general, Gangs, Airport TSA, meth Heads and such just creep me out ......out there in the Tundra, I know just what to do to have a good time, I know everybody, and with lots of effort we make a living and avoid our old friend and Hunting companion, Sudden Death.
    Besides, I do well enough I dont have to be out there everyday its not much different than Lumber Jacks, Fishermen, Guides,or Miners....living from the land.

Thanks for your reply. Its nice to see your lifestyle as a relief from the techno crazed world down here. Keep posting your stories, we all enjoy them!

Stranger, as always I really appreciate your stories and pictures, especially the time it must take to download. Glad you were able to get the snowmachine fixed and it wasn't a blizzard when you were under repairs. You have talked so much about the Mosin Nagant I am looking at them with renewed interest. Quite a history in those guns and a good caliber. Thanks again, Mark
    Last edited by markopolo50; 04-29-2011 at 07:29. Reason: added missing word

cool post like the pics

Thanx, Justin!

You aint done bad yerself I wrote you directions on how to join me, but I guess the Wolves carried you off ~~LOL!!~~

Funny how it is, were melting so fast, and smashing into another Hunt, it seems the Geese are thickening a bit, almost huntable.......very soon by boat, which I have to finish soon enough.
    How'd that Arctic oven work out?

Marko, the Mosin Nagant series of rifles are irrefutably "AWSOME"!!

So dang Awsome, Thats my M-39's name ...~LOL!!~ "Awsome"

Great job! it looks like your winter was more than a bit more eventful than mine. nice wolves!
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast