Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I drink too much water?

Default Do I drink too much water?

Do I drink too much water? While sheep or goat hunting I drink a lot of water. Always been told if your urine is yellow you need to drink more water, so I do.

My problem is I have to wake up several times in the night to relieve myself. I would rather not get out of my warm bag, so I have started using a water bottle with a screw top to go in. I have been doing this for the last ten years and so far havenít had an accident. .

Does anyone else have this problem? By the way, I donít have to get up at night at home, so I doubt I have a medical problem.

Use the same trick when cold weather camping. Just make shure you have that bottle well marked. Doing battle in a tent at 3am with your hunting buddy cause he grabed the wrong one to wet his whistle aint no fun!!!

Try this,

Hold off on drinking so much water before bed. Then as soon as you wake up drink 2 bottles to properly hydrate for that day. Remember to keep drinking throughout the day. This should help out your problem.

Smile For what it's worth. . .

For what it's worth. . . from the alternative medical community. . .

'I HAVEN'T HAD A GLASS OF WATER IN 20 YEARS...'

Drinking tons of water is great...if you want to raise your stroke risk, bring on kidney failure, and encourage early Alzheimer's.

SURPRISED? But this is just one example of how MASS MEDIA MEDICINE is ruining our health. BELIEVE IT OR NOT, YOU CAN LIVE LONG and LOVE every minute of IT!
    If you'd rather enjoy a beer than force down 8 glasses of water...
    If you can't start the day without caffeine...
    If you crave a good steak and can't stomach 10 vegetables a day... GUESS WHAT? YOU'RE RIGHT and they're full of tofu... Learn how right now from medicine's most acclaimed myth-buster.

http://www1.youreletters.com/t/39223...73/792281/507/

Cool Less than you'd pay...

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    For what it's worth. . .
    Funny stuff. But I sure wouldn't pay a nickel for it.

My favorite is the part where he'll tell you why everyone else is lying to you in the interests of making a buck... as soon as you buy a subscription.

Meta-analyses of the research suggest we should eat a variety of foods in a variety of colors and textures and keep things relatively balanced. Don't eat way too much or too little. You'll do fine.

As for the hydration thing that started this thread, I'd say hydrate like the dickens in the morning and during the day, then go easy when you get ready to make camp. Don't dry yourself out or anything, but there's no sense cutting into your sleep by chugging a quart of fluid as you hit the sack, either.

Default Bacon Grease

I'm going with the advice about bacon grease. That's my favorite way to eat a steak.

Default proper hydration

agree with fisherman19, works well based on personal experience. If at bedtime you know your tank is only 1/2 full, then go ahead and down a liter before climbing into the sleeping bag....also, last thing I do before retiring for the night, after taking a good look around is empty the bladder....common sense...always a good thing

Default electolytes....

We all know how important water can be, but don't forget the electrolytes! Cytomax or even gatorade in water can provide the balance your heart and body need when things are way diluted or dehydrated. It will help keep your muscles from locking up and cramping, speaking from experience here.
    Take a zip lock with some of the powder with you.
    We also use a "goo" electrolyte paste thats in a small tube.
    I hate the taste of it, but I know its loaded with K, NaCl, and other important salts and minerals...
    Anybody else use the stuff?

Default different bodies

Common "problem". Often cold or stress will tell the body to eliminate any unnecessary water. Some folks can take a pee, jump into cold water, and have to pee like a race horse in moments. I find that if I eat a very light dinner it helps getting through the night w/out having to pee. So does wearing a polar fleece hat. Also, put a couple beads of silicone around your "night bottle" and you won't get it confused w/ the water bottle, even if you sleep w/ poly pro glove liners on.

Default Drink Powders

I use a powder called Gookinaid. I put one in my water bottle each day.

Wink

Tv, I hear ya! At over 50 I"m afraid that the 2 am journey is going to go on for me. This past year my cousin thought a bear brushed by his bivy at 2 am. But I do have a choice, I can stay warm, and awake thinking of getting up and taking care of business. Or get out shiver, and then fall back to sleep. LOL Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default The bottle thing.

I use the ole bottle trick as well; I take an empty Gatorade bottle and use it. Just make sure that the lid is on right. Made that mistake this last moose season, got the lid cross-threaded in the dark and woke up with that I pissed my sleeping bag feeling. I thought my buddy was going to bust a gut laughing, until it started to run over his way. Wasn't so funny then. LOL I get the same way, I think it is from the extreme amount of energy you expend while chasing game. More work than most people realize.

Steve

A few years ago I was the only one at my campsite filling a "pee pot" (a large plastic jar with a wide mouth and lid) in my tent. See...I drink water, juice, tea, hot cocoa, etc., even before going to bed each night. I can't sleep near snorers, so my hunting partners sleep in their own tents about 75 feet from mine. I have become very proficient urinating in the bottle right over the side of the cot, from my sleeping bag. But that took lots of potty training and finding the correct bottle. I believe that my hunting partners do the same these days, because I not longer hear them getting up and unzipping their tents in the middle of the night

Waking to urinate in the middle of the night is no problem. I can be very quiet , and gives me a few seconds to listen for bears of Big Foot should they be walking around my tent

Default one other thing

An old wide-mouth Nalgene bottle works well for me. Having had to use it at 20 below I learned first "hand" that you **** sure don't want to be "leaning" on a plastic bottle. Dead center the Nalgene, or you WILL wake up.

back to the original question, you have to monitor it by looking at your piss. i have noticed a need to piss on colder nights if i sleep outdoors, even if i haven't been overly active or drank more water than normal.

one of the guys in my fire team actually over-hydrated himself last summer. he drank way too much water (i didn't even know that was possible until then), started puking, got chills (it was 120 degrees), we got him to the medic quickly. he was ok. medic called him an idiot, and told him not to drink the water so fast. electrolytes were mentioned earlier, get some in your system. too much water flushes that stuff out, and can cause problems. we were fortunate enough to be in a very low threat environment when that happened

Default Note to slosh-

Quote Originally Posted by schloss View Post
    back to the original question, you have to monitor it by looking at your piss. i have noticed a need to piss on colder nights if i sleep outdoors, even if i haven't been overly active or drank more water than normal.

one of the guys in my fire team actually over-hydrated himself last summer. he drank way too much water (i didn't even know that was possible until then), started puking, got chills (it was 120 degrees), we got him to the medic quickly. he was ok. medic called him an idiot, and told him not to drink the water so fast. electrolytes were mentioned earlier, get some in your system. too much water flushes that stuff out, and can cause problems. we were fortunate enough to be in a very low threat environment when that happened
    Slosh-

I had not heard that you could over-hydrate. Interesting stuff...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Mike...

There was a woman who just died recently from over hydration when a raido station down in the L48 held a promo called "Hold your wee for a Wii" & the contestants were to drink as much water as possible & not urinate or puke as well...turns out a woman went home & died as a result of water toxification...

Likewise, everyone seems worried about urine, when in fact it's the most sterile liquid in your body...was watching a surgurey on tv one time & on of the surgeons cut the ureathra of the patient & got piss all over the internal organs of the lower abdomen & said that urine is the lest toxic fluid in the body...

Default Overhydration

If you drink a ton of water to fast, you dilute the sodium in you blood which can lead to bad things such as swelling in your brain due to your body trying to maintain electrolyte balance. For those of us who have healthy kidneys, it's not a problem usually, but it could be. By the way, I usually just hang half my body out the tent and pee cause I'm to tired and cold and don't want to get out of the tent. Peace out.

Jason

Wink

Ahhh... now I understand why the big debate down vs. synthetic bags, It can become very important for the tent bottle folks! LOL Bill,
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default ElectroMix

I too use the bottle trick and all of the previously mentioned cautions are great advice. I drink 2-3 L per day depending on the amount of climbing and I'll do whatever it takes to minimize sweating. I often wear only a T Shirt top even in the 40's if the wind isn't too bad. I found a product called ElectroMix that is sugar free (light weight) and comes in individual durable packets that weigh .15 oz each. I use 1 pk per Liter and it works very well for preventing cramps and making you feel better. It tastes a little funny but I really like the stuff. You can get it online.

ASlpine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast