Thread: Distance from Homer Harbor to Anchor River

Default Distance from Homer Harbor to Anchor River

How long of a boat run is it from the Homer harbor to the Bluffs and Anchor Point? Seems like that might be the best option for my little 16' Sea Runner for halibut.

I would think your run would be 15 miles or so miles to decent fishing.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Using Google Earth, it looks to be about 21-22 miles from the Harbor to Anchor Point. Varies depending on where along the bluffs you are looking to get to.

From Homer harbor it's 12 miles to some of my fishing holes I have marked on my gps. That puts you right around the bluffs in about 120-140 feet of water. I have never been disappointed.

I have a 20 foot Sea Runner.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Not SureYou Need To Go That Far

Fly Guy,
    With May almost on us,the hooligan will be running near shore.You can be sure that halibut have this figured out and will be feasting on them.If you don't want to put in at the Anchor River or Deep Creek and prefer putting in at Homer you might try the south side of Kachameck Bay shoreline.Less run time than the bluff area but on a calm day that option can be open.
    One comment that has been repeatedly stated for smaller boats out of Homer bears another repeat------go early ,get your fish,and get off the water before the afternoon wind kicks up.Always live to fish another day.Good luck out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    Fly Guy,
    With May almost on us,the hooligan will be running near shore.You can be sure that halibut have this figured out and will be feasting on them.If you don't want to put in at the Anchor River or Deep Creek and prefer putting in at Homer you might try the south side of Kachameck Bay shoreline.Less run time than the bluff area but on a calm day that option can be open.
    One comment that has been repeatedly stated for smaller boats out of Homer bears another repeat------go early ,get your fish,and get off the water before the afternoon wind kicks up.Always live to fish another day.Good luck out there.
    Ditto this and will add that you don`t want to be at the end of the spit around the tide change with any wind over 10 knots...it builds very quickly and a 16` metal boat would scare the crap out of you at the very least. When all else fails stay near someone else but give them their due elbow room. Another option is to go the other way and you have protection in the islands and in good waters you can sneak up the coast and get into some good fishing.
    PM me if you`re looking for a partner in crime sometime...I run an 18` inflatable.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Flyguy....Can u put in off the beach? If so, Whiskey gulch beach is only about 3 miles from Anchor R. OR.... U can put in at Dp Crk....Was beach fishing there today....Saw 2 boats in the water in front of me trolling ,,, saw 3 kings caught by 4 in the boats... Maybe they got their 4rth but were too far away to see. Anyhow, the kings are heading up the inlet. Also, one drift boat that launched off the beach...no motor rowed out and the 3 of them came in with 6 butts....Not a bad day.

Hi cod, I saw you talking to the drift boat folk, I live in Ninilchik, and have been checking the launch out daily.
    The skidders and trailers are in, launching starts the 30th
    Where were you casting from.
    1997-2005 I hauled a bunch of kings up the bluff.
    Twin falls and Happy Valley is the place to be.
    Casting an 1 1/2 oz Kroc, 17lb Trilene.
    Happy casting