Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value of a Model 1894 30WCF?

Default Value of a Model 1894 30WCF?

I am looking for the approximate value or how to find it on a model 1894 Whinchester 30WCF serial # 356xxx, its in great shape.

Check gunbrokers to see what they have been selling for.
    Tennessee

Made 1916 and I'd guess (guess mind you) $600 to $1000. Is there a saddle ring or any extras on it, rifle or carbine?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I followed the serial # back through winchester to put it being manufactured 1906, its plain, looks like it had a side mount scope at one time, finish is original from what can see.

Are you saying it has been drilled for a side mount scope?

Quote Originally Posted by gunaddict View Post
    I followed the serial # back through winchester to put it being manufactured 1906, its plain, looks like it had a side mount scope at one time, finish is original from what can see.
    Your right, 1906 . . . must have had gunk on my specs.

Anyway, the particulars are very important here. There were very many made and most are a plain round barrel carbine with no extras, thatís what I assume you have. If itís that and its been drilled (hearts value) for a scope around the $600 range Iíd guess. Saddle ring, factory checkering or engraving, or any little extras adds to the value. There were rifles (longer barrel), there were octagon barrels, half octagon barrels any of which would add value. Drilling and taping (other than for a period sight thatís still in place), damage, altered stock, missing parts like the butt plate all detract value. Some can add way up in value, most will be under $1000.

If you look on gunbroker you will see a lot of them and get excited at the price, however they are mostly not selling near those prices and have been on there for a long time. Sellers list them as collector items waiting for someone to come along thatís just got to have that one for their collection. That does happen but for the most part they are a bit overvalued there making the true value hard to ascertain . . . anything is only worth what someone will pay for it after all.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Market value on GB is determined by those brave folks like us who start their auctions at a Penny and let them ride. Folks can ask anythig, but most of them sit.

With that in mind, if that win has been drilled, and the bore is good...$400...if it is marketed correctly by a seller with impeccable feedback, super customer service and an established track record who gives inpsection periods and doesnt surcharge credit cards

I don't know that it has been drilled for a side mount scope base or is original, it looks like all factory holes but I don't have a another 1894 to compare the receiver against, to answer Andy's question it has a full octagon barrel, the only thing I believe is not 100% factory is the left side of the rear buck horn sight looks to be very cleanly trimmed, which is what I was led to believe for the mounting of a side mounted scope off the receiver. Thank you for all your information guys.

Most likely the holes in the receiver for the scope base are not original. Pre-war 94's weren't generally drilled for a receiver peep or a scope mount from the factory. But they did have an extra hole in the tang for a tang sight.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Here is a picture of the receiver, might be easier than me trying to describe it you. Are there more holes than what it came with from the factory? Can you see where the rear sight looks to be trimmed, leading me to think someone had mounted a scope base, but I could and probably am wrong in my assumption.

.Mod 1894 Winchester 011.jpg

Of the three large holes that are above centerline of the receiver, two are not factory and are for an aftermarket side mount. The lower of the two at the front and the larger plug screw at the upper rear of the receiver. Good photo, worth a thousand words.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Yes someone thought they had a sniper rifle so drilled, tapped, and ground the sight down to put a big scope on it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thank you for all the information on this gun. your help has been invaluable to me.

For THAT particular rifle, with the two "extra" holes that were added, $400 sounds about right. Without the holes, considerably more. Depends a lot on where it's being sold, as I note a great deal of variation in prices in different areas.
    The gun auctions are a decent place to look for value, but ONLY pay attention to the listings that actually have bids on them. Even then, be careful, as sometimes, it's a couple of guys trying to prove who has the biggest...checkbook.

Thanks for the adivice, not looking to sell it just checking to see if it had any value, or if I should go ahead and reblue it and replace the buckhorn sight, basicly I was wanting to restore it but not if it was worth more in its current state.

With the altered receiver it would be a great candidate to build a custom. Maybe fill the holes, have it poked out to 35-30, get it color case hardened and youíd have something very cool for not too long money.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Thanks for the adivice, not looking to sell it just checking to see if it had any value, or if I should go ahead and reblue it and replace the buckhorn sight, basicly I was wanting to restore it but not if it was worth more in its current state.
    If you are talking true restoration, it can be done, and the extra holes disapear. Done properly, the holes can be welded up and refinished and you can't tell the difference, tho it isnt a job for a local gun parts replacer or your neighbor with a welder in his garage. Most "reblue's" are a good way to ruin an older gun, (and you would be far better off not doing it as far as value of the gungoes) most so called gunsmiths use a power buffer with way too much enthusiasm, ruining edges, screw holes and lettering, and the blue often doesn't look like the blueing used on older guns. Again, when done correctly, it is about impossible to tell it has been done.

Check with Mike Hunter of Hunter Restorations if you want a true restoration. He does good work and doesn't cost as much as some of the big names. I've seen some of his work, he's taken some real wrecks and made them look like new guns, quite literally. Yours would be fairly simple to get into nice condtition, it really isnt too bad as is for its age other than the extra holes. Repair the holes and good refinish of wood and metal would be a simple restoration. Your gun originally had a few color case hardened parts, like lever, hammer, and perhaps fore end cap and butt plate, tho not sure about those last parts. It looks like some of the color case hardening is still evident on the lever.

I've seen some real tragedies happen in the name of reblueing or refinishing. Once done poorly, with a bad polish and blue job, the gun is basically junk to anyone that cares about the old ones. Again, yours looks pretty good at this point. Hope whatever you do, it's well done.

The extra holes kill the ďcollector valueĒ of the gun and it will never come back no matter what you do, it can never again be original. So from where youíre at here you have an opportunity to build it into anything you want without regret of distorting the collector value. Itís kind of a golden opportunity that makes me a tad jealous, Iíd love such a fine old gun to build into something unique. Iíd not bother keeping it anything like it was because there are many like that that are original that will always have more value than yours. But take yours and do some quality work to it that makes it unique and you could have something quite special with more value than just an original restoration would ever have. Something more useful today with the look and feel of yesterday.

Too me itís like finding a 57 Chevy sitting in a barn that someone stripped the running gear from, it will never be a matching number restoration so the wise thing is to do a resto-mod with the latest greatest drive train, AC, power windows, sound system so itís better than it was new.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Here is a picture of the receiver, might be easier than me trying to describe it you. Are there more holes than what it came with from the factory? Can you see where the rear sight looks to be trimmed, leading me to think someone had mounted a scope base, but I could and probably am wrong in my assumption.

.Mod 1894 Winchester 011.jpg
    Well this is interesting. Looks like my S/N 236XXX has two pins where the OP'S 356xxx has one.[I don't mean screws, pins.]

Well thatís interesting, I have never seen (or noticed) that 2nd pin before. None of mine have it, I wonder what itís for.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast