Thread: Pigot bay for shrimp and to stay the night

Default Pigot bay for shrimp and to stay the night

So I am heading out of Whitier for the first time to do some shrimping and stay for a few nights and am waiting for the wife to get off work to leave I will be getting into whittier kind of later in the evening and was hoping that if everything goes right that I am able to run a ways tonight out to Pigot bay. I was going over the charts and it looks like there are a few bouys up in Pigot bay.
    The question is are there moring bouys in Pigot and can I drop some shrimp pots for the night in the mouth of Pigot or even in the bay a little ways and do OK. I am planning to go a little farther up into Port wells the next night so if anyone has some anchorage tips in Port wells That would help out too.
    I have tried the search thing and dont have much luck finding what I want so I thought I would ask.

Thanks
    Tony

Sent ya a PM.

I don't think that there are any mooring bouys in Pigot. You really don't need one. Figure out which way the blow is coming from and duck into the other side. I hid there one night trying to get a few zeez before taking a rental boat back to the dock. Port Swells was running about 7 foot coming from the East right down the middle (and every which way) and we were fine in a 22 foot Hewie.

I know that everyone says steep and deep for the shrimp - hunt around the mouth for 600 foot of water in the Mud and you will get some. Watch it though - it does go deep fast at the mouth.

I don't think there are any mooring bouys, either. But Bullelkklr is right...you don't need them. There's plenty of good, muddy bottom in there to hold an anchor...near the FS cabin or river mouth. Zeigler cove is nice, but there's not a lot of room to swing around while on the hook, especially if another boat is in there.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Zeigler cove is nice, but there's not a lot of room to swing around while on the hook, especially if another boat is in there.
    Really? I went to sleep one stormy evening in Ziegler and awoke to ten other boats there. To my knowledge, nobody bumped into another. Nice and cozy in there. The head of the bay is nice as well. It's a nice place to watch the bears graze on the hillsides as well.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Really? I went to sleep one stormy evening in Ziegler and awoke to ten other boats there. To my knowledge, nobody bumped into another. Nice and cozy in there. The head of the bay is nice as well. It's a nice place to watch the bears graze on the hillsides as well.
    yep...it's definitely a nice little cove. It's been a few years since I've been in there, so maybe I'm remembering it smaller than it is. All I was saying that it's tight for anchoring, especially if the winds are varying in direction.