Thread: What to use for replacing the floor in my Hews?

Default What to use for replacing the floor in my Hews?

I am replacing the floorboards in my Hews SeaRunner. I would like to know where to get marine grade wood, and what is the best coating to use on it. I thought I saw last year that someone used a bed liner (like Rhino Lining) on their floor. I would like to do it all myself so any places to get materials, ways to apply coating would be AWSOME!

How about diamond plate? It will last longer and won't absorb moisture.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I ripped out the floor in my boat and put in diamond plate. Works great easy to clean up and looks sharp. If I had to guess I think it weighs less as well. It is hard on bare feet though.

how about slippery-ness? Is the diamond plate good when it's wet, and covered in fish slime & blood? or did you rhino-line the diamond plate? And who in Anchortown willdo the mod or has diamond plate like that?I also have a Hewes (24' Alaskan) and have thougt of changing the floors out.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

The diamond plate is not nearly as slippery as the plastic covered plywood that I had on my Hewescraft from my experience. You could pick it up from Alaska Steel and do it yourself I suspect.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Weld air in wasilla will have what you need as well. And if you dont wanna do it your self I could do it for you. It isnt that hard and I have all the tools to do it with. Maybe even do a trade for a fishing trip or two. Who knows. It is not slippery at all even when wet and covered in fish slime.

Hmmm......akdube. I might take you up on that. I am taking out the front section tonight. Let me get back to you on that!

nice to know it's not slippery. My biggest issue with the wood is it swells around the in floor fish box and makes it hard to open occasionally. But it is nice and quiet... I'll have to look into the cost and whatnot...
    200hp Honda 4stroke

If and when you do this SAVE the old floor as it works as a templete for the new one. Although in pieces you can still use it as a templete

Quote Originally Posted by Swissy View Post
    nice to know it's not slippery. My biggest issue with the wood is it swells around the in floor fish box and makes it hard to open occasionally. But it is nice and quiet... I'll have to look into the cost and whatnot...
    Why not take the lid off the fish hold and replace with diamond plate and a piano hinge?

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    Why not take the lid off the fish hold and replace with diamond plate and a piano hinge?
    The lid already is Aluminum... it's the wood around it that jams it some times. But I might be seriously interested in doing this as well...
    200hp Honda 4stroke

I got all of the deck out in three peices (thats how it was originally installed). Looks like I am going to go with marine plywood and something to go on top of it. The girl and I sleep inside of it when we go to remote spots. Any ideas on what would be good to use?

This project is moving along faster than I thought!!

On my boat I use regular plywood and painted it with oil base paint. The area where you walk I put down a coat of paint, cover it with sand blasting sand, let it dry and put on a 2nd coat. You will not slip on the floor…..if it too course you can scrape it off.

There is no weight saving when using aluminum, 1/8 inch diamond plate weighs the same as ˝ inch plywood.

I had mine sprayed with Bed-liner, top sides and edges, its a good floor. Maybe not as durable as tread plate but will expect 8-10 years, maybe more. From what I have seen so far. If you drop something sharp it can cut it.

Mine are cdx plywood, they are holding up fine. They were already cut and so I reused them. If starting over I would use some AWW plywood, cheaper than Marine and I think they would last a long time.

Somewhat depends on your use, I am in the interior and try to put a 100 hours a year on my outfit, relatively dry climate here in Fbks, so things get a chance to dry out.

This would be a whole different scenario if your boat is in the water a lot, either using it (hopefully) or tied to a dock, much wetter environment and things don't dry out as fast or ever..........
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I replaced the floor in my Seaark last year with marine plywood from SBS in Anchorage. It was fairly inexpensive and I just cut it to the exact dimensions of the old piece of junk wood floor that the previous owner had in it (regular plywood, not sealed at all). I primed it on both sides and the edges with an all purpose primer to try and seal it. I then coated the top and sides with two coats of Herculiner which is a roll on truck bedliner that I picked up at O'Reillys I think. So far it's worked awesome, quiet, non-slippery, and comfortable to walk on with bare feet...

What to do with wood in a Alloy boat?

I would cut regular plywood to fit then mix up some very thin resin and paint my ply with it 3 or 4 times , letting it soak in and almost dry each time to seal the wood . Then let dry completely and install.

My 1st choice would be Alloy Plate [ smooth plate ] and when finished I would coat with Non Skid , color choice is yours.

The guys down under use CKR PL and cover it with loose indoor/outdoor carpet , in the warm water with fish slime it is slippery . I don't know why they just don't put some good Non Skid down and call it done .

FYI, as the years go buy the Edges of the Diamonds on the Diamond Plate wear smooth and that's when they become SLIPPERY.

If you want to do it right using wood, get marine plywood, and using epoxy put a layer of 4 or 6 oz fiberglass cloth on both sides, and seal all the edges with 3 coats of epoxy. Then you'll need to sand it, prime it, and paint it with some non skid added to the paint. Figure you'll need 1 1/2 gal of epoxy, so the epoxy and glass will be $200+ on top of the ply, plus primer, plus paint, plus your labor.

I'd say diamond plate is the way to go. After 20 some odd sheets of marine ply, 30 gal of epoxy and yds and yds of fiberglass to build my boat, I'm a big fan of aluminum.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMonkey View Post
    I am replacing the floorboards in my Hews SeaRunner. I would like to know where to get marine grade wood, and what is the best coating to use on it. I thought I saw last year that someone used a bed liner (like Rhino Lining) on their floor. I would like to do it all myself so any places to get materials, ways to apply coating would be AWSOME!
    Why not talk to Hewescraft there's a lifetime warranty on the floorboards.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyRaven View Post
    Why not talk to Hewescraft there's a lifetime warranty on the floorboards.

Does it matter that I am not the original owner? The boat is a 93? I think two people have owned this boat before I have.

Well you got me there, worth a shot.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM