Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airboat rally at Knik river Sat?

Default Airboat rally at Knik river Sat?

Anyone interested in running up the Knik River from the Old Glen hwy up to the Glacier this weekend?
    Currently it looks like Bud will be joining us this Sat., May 30th. I'm thinking a mid morning departure.
    Anyone else interested?
    BK

I don't believe my wife will be coming with me, so if anybody wants the extra seat, just let me know. AkGrumpy if you want to ride in a car motor boat, since yours is not operating now, you are more then welcome. I am bringing my rifle in case a bear might be out. Bud

Thanks for the offer.. I my just take you up on that. I will either let you or BK know by Friday evening.

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    I don't believe my wife will be coming with me, so if anybody wants the extra seat, just let me know. AkGrumpy if you want to ride in a car motor boat, since yours is not operating now, you are more then welcome. I am bringing my rifle in case a bear might be out. Bud

Akgrumpy and Akblackdawg,
    How does a 10 am departure at the Knik River bridge off the Old Glenn sound to you guys?
    BK

wow! i would be intested if u got space
    Semper Fi!

I have to work this Sat. but we should try to do this again soon. It is nice to see differnt set ups.
    Chad

I'll plan on 10 am then. Greythorn keep a eye out, AkGrumpy will let me know about avail seat Friday, may still be space, and i still have to confirm with me wife if she is going or not. I expect there will be more boats going and if so should be able to find you a ride. Do you have a airboat, or have had or interest in getting one? Bud

Bud,

I plan of meeting up with you and BK at 10 tomorrow as long as you have that seat avail. I too will bring my rifle just in case if that is alright with you.

I'll plan on 10 am then. Greythorn keep a eye out, AkGrumpy will let me know about avail seat Friday, may still be space, and i still have to confirm with me wife if she is going or not. I expect there will be more boats going and if so should be able to find you a ride. Do you have a airboat, or have had or interest in getting one? Bud

and BK has my cell number in case something comes up.

I'll see everybody in the morning, I plan on being in the water and ready by 10 but won't bother me if we start later, no rush. Hope its not rainy, BK will be a bit cramped in his new boat with all of us riding in that heated cab. Grumpy, my boat is a 3 seater, won't know til in the morning if my wife is going, but there is a seat for you with or without her. Greythorn, hard to say what is available for room tomorrow. You know as much as we do, if you are close, it may be worth a ride out, but no guarentee. I actually expected more people to chime in with boats saying they would be joining us, but no such luck so far. Bud

I'd like to get mine wet...........but I'm on the slope earning gas money, You guys have fun though and be safe.....

thanks for the "offer"?! but Im out i gotta go get some steel tomarrow, i live on the river tho no biggie.
    Semper Fi!

Did you guys have fun, it sure look cold and windy out there?

well i heard some air boats out there today forsure, it wasent very windy today or cold, it was 50 and some overcast but pretty nice out.
    Semper Fi!

We had some minor difficulities but nothing major i'm sure, normal for a shake down cruse at the beginning of the season. Most of the ice is gone, lots of river to ride on, we will be out again soon. Very pleasant out, long as you were bundles against the wind when under way. Bud

Bud,
    It was nice meeting you out at the Knik River on Saturday. It would have been better to have had better luck but like you said that is why you try a shake down early. Better having problems there with someone to help then out alone and get into real trouble. Jim

We had some minor difficulities but nothing major i'm sure, normal for a shake down cruse at the beginning of the season. Most of the ice is gone, lots of river to ride on, we will be out again soon. Very pleasant out, long as you were bundles against the wind when under way. Bud

Bud and Jim,
    We are very glad you two were there to help us out! The boat is headed to the mechanic tonight, should know more in a day or two.
    Sorry we never made it up the river. Next time can only get better I suppose.
    Anywho, everyone is safe and sound....nothing money can't fix!
    Talk to both of you soon.
    BK

Glad to read that your troubles were resolved. Keep us posted on how it's running.

what happened BK?

For the curious, I posted the following on Southern Airboat regarding this past weekend;

Recently bought a 20' airboat off a guy in Vancouver, Canada. Alumatech hull built by a well known Alaskan airboater.
    It's a 502 BBC crate motor with roller rockers installed. 4 Master blaster props w/a 2.68 Stinger gear reduction on it. Poly bottom on her too.
    I had it shipped up to Alaska on good faith and the recommendation from the builder and seller that the boat would do everything I needed and that it was in great shape, etc...
    Brought it home, went over it at the house, checking fluids, wires, bolts, and so on to make sure it was ready to run. All looked good so I fired it up at the house. It idled fine, temp came up, let it run for 20 mins. No issues.
    Next day took it to the river w/some friends and their airboat.
    Had to run it down a "damp" little creek100 yards to get to the main river. Got it stuck on the dry sand, my friends helped me pull it back into the creek (another airboat pulling it) and I made it into the Knik river. I put her up on step, 3500 rpm, into a headwind of about 20-30 mph. I was getting close to 4000 RPM when she DIED!! (Total run time in river about 2-3 mins).
    Anchor's out and I try to restart her. She is tough to roll over so I turn the Perko switch to "all" for both batteries. She turns over but makes a "box of rocks rattling around" sound coming from the timing chain area. After getting her to the beach, I turn it over for my airboat friend (akblakdawg on here) to listen. It briefly repeats this noise and then begind to turn over freely.
    Now I have no spark and the distributor is not rotating.
    I'm guessing the timing chain broke. She is going to the mechanic tonight. I should know more in a day or two.
    My question is....Why would it break a timing chain on a motor with ony 60 hours on it?
    Anything I can do to prevent this from happening again?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    BK

Update-She is at Fish hook auto today but the mechanic will not get to her till Friday. Till then I can only hope its inexpensive and simple to fix!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast