Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum Boat Cleaners??

Default Aluminum Boat Cleaners??

Need some advice on a good strong cleaner that will not harm the outboard or fabrics on the boat. Has anyone used acid etch? Or any type of acid cleaners?

I've use acid etch to clean aluminum before welding, it's a strong acid it will eat everything.

I have used Zep-A-lume on my un painted driftboat and it worked good. I know it is an acid based cleaner.
    I bought mine from Silvertip in Kasilof bur you shouldn't have trouble finding it in Anchorage somewhere.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I used NAPA Aluminum Brightener before polishing my boat. It works in 30 seconds. It did not harm the decals on the side of the boat and in 30 seconds I can't see it doing any damage.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
    I used NAPA Aluminum Brightener before polishing my boat. It works in 30 seconds. It did not harm the decals on the side of the boat and in 30 seconds I can't see it doing any damage.
    I have used that stuff as well and gotten good results. I think that it does such a good job that you have to be very thorough when you put it on, probably reapplying it to some areas. After seeing your boat after a first application and noticing what the 'misses' look like you will recognize many boats on the water that use that.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

After I used the Aluminum Bright I followed with some Mothers Aluminum Polish. The brightener dissolves all the oxidation making it really fast to polish it up. Made my 14 year old boat look like new in about 4 hours. I tried the polish without the brightener and the difference was night and day in how long it takes.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

I just finished using Zep-a-lume on my boat last week and it worked amazing. It took 32 years of oxidation and salt deposits off in a matter of minutes. The best thing about it is it did not leave my boat too shiny. PM me, Rusty Monkey, if you need some that I have left over.

Cool

Good god people, lol! For years I been listening to the advantage of buying a metal boat was the lack of maintence and upkeep. Now you guys go and blow it by actually cleaning, polishing, etc.
    Ya almost had me convinced aluminum was better
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan B View Post
    I just finished using Zep-a-lume on my boat last week and it worked amazing. It took 32 years of oxidation and salt deposits off in a matter of minutes. The best thing about it is it did not leave my boat too shiny. PM me, Rusty Monkey, if you need some that I have left over.
    How bout some before and after pictures.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyRaven View Post
    How bout some before and after pictures.
    Here you go SkinnyRaven
    4904.jpg2011-05-07 15.20.29.jpg

Snowwolfe-
    There are benefits to both...just doing a little upkeep on the aluminum

Is it already that time of year that your elbo screams mercy as you polish the boat? This is the only time of year I wish my boat was an 8 footer and not 21'. I have used Flitz in the past and it takes a good day of rubbing. You do have to stand back and catch your misses.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    Is it already that time of year that your elbo screams mercy as you polish the boat? This is the only time of year I wish my boat was an 8 footer and not 21'. I have used Flitz in the past and it takes a good day of rubbing. You do have to stand back and catch your misses.
    I did two applications, which took care of the misses. With the product I used, you simply spray it on, wait 15 seconds, and rinse it off. The whole boat did not take more than 10 minutes, and elbow grease was not used. Granted I was not going for a mirror shine, just wanted to give it a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan B View Post
    Here you go SkinnyRaven
    4904.jpg2011-05-07 15.20.29.jpg

Snowwolfe-
    There are benefits to both...just doing a little upkeep on the aluminum
    Excellent, is this available locally?

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyRaven View Post
    Excellent, is this available locally?
    I found it at Valley Diesel and Marine through word of mouth, didn’t spend much effort trying to track it down in Anch since I was already headed out there.

Not sure how this would work on a boat or trailer. I know there are different grades of aluminum, although i'm sure this buffing compound could work in the right application. Many snowmachiners use this stuff to buff their tunnels to a mirror shine, no exaggeration on mirror. It's pretty unbelievable. Here are some pics..
    http://www.swmetal.com/cart/search?c...lishing%20Kits

Has anyone seen Zep-A-Lume cleaner in Anchorage and how much is it?
    20' Wooldridge Sport 08' 150hp E-Tec
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Bump to the top, I'm looking for a local source too. Called around but only place I've found it is the place in the valley but they keep bankers hours and I don't make it up there during the day option,,,,or never, really, I'm a 8-5 guy too
    Local places???? As in Anchorage?

Anyone know where I can get a gallon Zep-a-lume in the Valley or Anchorage? I can't find any!!!

Thanks,

Dave
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    Anyone know where I can get a gallon Zep-a-lume in the Valley or Anchorage? I can't find any!!!

Thanks,

Dave
    Did you look at deweys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

the trucking business in Anchorage have Zep-a-lume. They use it to wash down their trailers. It was about $40 a gallon 4 years ago when I bought it last. does an incredible job of Brightening up aluminum but very caustic! Full body/lungs protection required

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast