Thread: lead snagging hooks

Default lead snagging hooks

I've been casting a bunch of these big boys for a while. If anyone needs some or has hooks and lead, I can hook you up. If anyone wants to learn how to do it to, I'ld be happy to show you the ropes since it's fairly easy.

Good deals on ebay right now for the hooks ... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123

What do you do with the snagging hooks? Homer for kings?
    Careful with those, when the hook comes free, first you get scared, then you duck &
    if it hits you it either knocks you out or sends you to the doc.
    Was on Adak when the Navy was there, legal t snag in the salt water, was the preferred method.
    They had several types & sizes;
    Attached Images Attached Images

otherwise known as "dryflies" in mainbay....why don't you just get a gillnet you won't look so stupid plus you'll keep the lead out of the system and won't kill a mofo when it rips out the skin of a fish , you get a twofer, you kill the fish and your buddy!

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

I'd like to see some pics of the set up you use iusckeeper. Does anyone in AK sell a mold for casting the lead?

you get a twofer, you kill the fish and your buddy!

Just because everyone doesn't have a great time, does that mean it still wasn't fun!

I have a mold like the first leaded hook in mud buddy's picture. I mostly cast 8/0 to 10/0 hooks. I mostly put 2.5 oz of lead on em. If anything more is needed, I have a deadly way to use bank sinkers to get the hook deeper. It's fairly easy to do, but notorious for being dangerous if not adequately vented or not working in a dry area.

I grew up snagging for paddlefish (aka spoonbill) in Iowa. I just modify my techniques for different depths and hazards. If you know what you're doing, you won't rip it out of the water. However, I did have a buddy once that ripped his out of the water... it was flying directly at a neighbor fisherman when he jerked it back mid air and end up hitting him square in the head. No hooks in the head, but it left one giant bump.

DoIt has some great molds. They are located in Iowa and Sportsmans sells their molds occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by nitroshrew View Post
    I'd like to see some pics of the set up you use iusckeeper. Does anyone in AK sell a mold for casting the lead?
    With the leaded hooks, it's a simply tie on the end of the line. If it's shallow water, you don't want your weight and hooks both tied to the end of the line, especially if your ripping from shore. That's when bank sinkers come into play (also castable)... and you can have a couple different set-ups.

It does sound like you know your snagging,but just wondering where you plan to use this expertise?

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    It does sound like you know your snagging,but just wondering where you plan to use this expertise?
    lol... great question... have yet to find a place. I know snagging is legal in places, but I've never been or even know where to go.

Those work GREAT in the sanctuary where the russian hits the Kenai - also in the snaggin hole south of Jims.

They don't work near as good out in the salt - just too much water there to be effective.

You can use them in the creek (resurection??) in Seward as long as you are in the salt. You can use them in most salt water locations where the reds run - china poot, eshamy, coghill, probably many others.

I have used them for Carp in the lower 48. I keep a couple in my salt bag when we go out in the ocean but have never put one on.

Don't carry one when you are fishing the rivers.....