Thread: Rod building

Default Rod building

I have a new hobby for next winter. I'm going to learn how to build my own rods. Sounds like a fun and rewarding way to spend the winter. I've been doing some searching around the internet and have found a few sites with some stuff here and there and others with other stuff here and there. Can't seem to find a site that has everything needed compiled in a one stop shop for complete rod building. Supplies, how to's, tools, blanks, finishing materials and so on. They all seem to have some, but not all, of the things one would need to do this. Anyone have any good sites to suggest????
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Try this one. Mudhole Custom, they have all the supplies and there are video clips on how to build rods. Here is the link.

http://www.mudhole.com/

Yea that one is a lot better than the others I was looking at. Will have to look at it some more tomorrow. Thanks

not sure what you been looking at but there is always http://www.batsonenterprises.com/

I built a rod a Mt. View sports a few years ago. In all honesty its not hard, you just need all the right tools. It can be really easy if you only use one color thread too. Make sure you have a stick laying around or something too, your thread changes color alot once it gets soaked by the epoxy, I had a dark yellow thread that now looks light brown after the epoxy went on, still looks good but not how I thought it would turn out. The thing I liked was making my own handle, I made an 8wt with a fatter handle than the standard ones because my hand cramps up, has worked out nice so far.

I built my first rod this winter as well, I must say it feels great to cast something you put together. I got my kit from www.anglershabitat.com. First class all the way, I plan on building another one when I return from the situk.
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

When I used to build rods all the time, I ordered lots of items from these guys.

http://www.anglersworkshop.com/

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I will be sure to check all of them out and start to compile a list of supplies. Thanks again

Don't forget Dan Craft....
    http://www.dancraftent.com/

I've built 4 rods on his blanks and have been more than pleased with the end result.

I used to build on lots of Dan Craft blanks, they're nice. However, I sent in a repair section of a rod (Ferrule) and never heard a peep. I called and asked about it and never heard a thing. I've scratched them off my list now. That website of Dan's has a 2006 date, so I'm not sure what his most current status is.

Sorry to hear that snowcamoman. After I saw your post I checked to see if Dan had posted anything on the rod building forum and noticed his last post is 2 years old. Hope everything is OK. I last bought a blank from him Sept 2009.

Drifter -016 gave an excellent list of sites. They are all high on my favorites list. You should be able to find most anything from those sites. Three Rivers in Wasilla and Mt View sports in Anchorage also have plenty of parts, blanks, thread, epoxies, and experience.

I just got into rodbuilding a couple of years ago and it is definitely an enjoyable winter hobby. This winter I made my wife three fly rods- one fuschia St Croix and two mudhole MHX, my older daughter got a spinning rod, and I made a Rainshadow 1307 spey rod for myself. My younger daughter is wanting me to build her a pink/purple flyrod for taming silvers. I told her if she catches and hauls in a king by herself, it's a deal.

Definitely pick up some old or broken rods so you have test blanks for trying out colors and pattern ideas. I did a tiger wrap for the first time this winter and I did three practice ones before I put it on a good blank.

You'll have fun building rods, but be forwarned....it can become an addictive "hobby". I used to build rods as my winter-time job in college and ended up building myself one for every 7 or so that I sold. I guess that's how I ended up with over 40 flyrods.

For a first-time build, go with a less expensive blank, and real seat. You can spend a small fortune on a high end blank, guides and real seat, but wouldn't risk it for a first build. You can find cheap low RPM motors online to make yourself a dryer for the epoxy work. That's all I used (3-4 at a time running), and it worked perfectly. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me. If you're looking for something that you can't find, let me know I have a bunch of guides, grips and such on hand.

J.J. Stockard has some nice stuff... 3 rivers and Mt. View have stuff in stock and Mossy's is pleased to order them...

here's some photos from this winter...

its addicting like fly tying, only more expensive
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Nice looking rod AK Powder Monkey, I like the contrasting thread color on that blank. Turning custom grips was one of my favorite parts of custom rod building for some odd reason. There's nothing like a custom grip that fits the hand like a glove.

P.S. that 4wt is a sweetheart of a rod, and I got the blank on closeout for $130!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    You'll have fun building rods, but be forwarned....it can become an addictive "hobby". I used to build rods as my winter-time job in college and ended up building myself one for every 7 or so that I sold. I guess that's how I ended up with over 40 flyrods.

For a first-time build, go with a less expensive blank, and real seat. You can spend a small fortune on a high end blank, guides and real seat, but wouldn't risk it for a first build. You can find cheap low RPM motors online to make yourself a dryer for the epoxy work. That's all I used (3-4 at a time running), and it worked perfectly. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me. If you're looking for something that you can't find, let me know I have a bunch of guides, grips and such on hand.
    Some good advice here.

Stick to some inexpensive components for you first build.
    Then as you get some experience you can start getting into the higher end components.
    My first build was a cheap 7 pce flyrod blank built into a spinning rod for bush wacking.

So far this winter I have made 11 rods and have a couple more on the go right now.

Yea I know. I never planned on getting any expensive stuff until I got good at it.