Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: hunting blackies in PWS

  1. #1

    Default hunting blackies in PWS

    A friend of mine and I will be hunting black bear in PWS. We'll be heading out of Whittier in a 22 ft. boat in mid-May. Never hunted bears there, but have in other places in AK. Don't want to travel too far out of Whittier. Any suggestions, advice? Using my TC Encore 454 Casull pistol.

  2. #2
    Member pike_palace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the 907
    Posts
    2,326

    Default

    Well I would try and get a bit out of Whittier, I don't know what your definition of "far" is. I do know the farther away you go, the more bears you see. Be out in the evening and look for little out of the way places in bays where the green shoots of grass are coming up. Be quiet and patient and you'll probably get a crack at a bear.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

  3. #3

    Default

    I saw a nice one two Sundays ago within sight of the harbor. We also took the biggest buck ever on my boat in the same spot a couple of Thanksgivings ago. You don't have to go far, but mid-May might be a little late for the close in ones, especially on the north side of the canal.

  4. #4
    Member Ak Bird Brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sterling, AK
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Mid May last year I was 15 miles out of Whittier and had several other boats pull up to the same beach I was on. This year you wont find me within 30 miles of the dock.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

  5. #5
    Sponsor Duckhunter01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, Trapper Creek, Seward
    Posts
    1,799

    Default

    22fter...you should be fine...strategy advice...if you are only going to be out there for a few days. Find a cove and anchor there..spend time behind the glass and learn the terrian..you will see bears. I have done this for the last 3 years. The first year..spent 4 days trolling bays at low tide..only saw one..second year..spent 3 days trolling bays....little to early as we had a late spring..did not see anything but tracks up high in the snow. Third year..headed to a bay, anchored and spent 4 days glassing, saw 7 bears....hence, let them move. There are so many out there, you have to let them move for you early and late in the day...enjoy the scenery and bring the camera...good luck.

    DH
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

  6. #6

    Default PWS blackies

    Hey, thanks for all the good first hand advice, I appreciate it. I'll check in and let you know how it goes.

  7. #7
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    A friend of mine and I will be hunting black bear in PWS. We'll be heading out of Whittier in a 22 ft. boat in mid-May. Never hunted bears there, but have in other places in AK. Don't want to travel too far out of Whittier. Any suggestions, advice? Using my TC Encore 454 Casull pistol.
    Shoot me a PM if you want some areas. Sold my boat and have a good bay where we killed many bears. Some other hot spots aways out there. If you can get drop some shrimp pots, do so, can find them about anywhere.

  8. #8

    Default

    Get as far out of whitter as you can. There are bear everywhere the further you go out. Last year we hunted the evenings only and just cruised the shoreline and saw 16 bear in 4 days. You shouldn't have a problem. Never hunted close to Whittier but further out was incredible for us. We went June 1st last year and I think was a little late for the hides. Headed out on the 15th this year and hopefully the snow won't be too deep. Good luck and don't forget your shrimp pots!!!!

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly30 View Post
    Get as far out of whitter as you can. There are bear everywhere the further you go out. Last year we hunted the evenings only and just cruised the shoreline and saw 16 bear in 4 days. You shouldn't have a problem. Never hunted close to Whittier but further out was incredible for us. We went June 1st last year and I think was a little late for the hides. Headed out on the 15th this year and hopefully the snow won't be too deep. Good luck and don't forget your shrimp pots!!!!
    Wait a minute you told me the 16th....trying to make sure I don't make it to the dock.

  10. #10
    Member Roland on the River's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,690

    Default

    Alaska Lanche--good sense 0f humor. I'd leave NOW and hold your thumb out!LOL

  11. #11

    Default

    Awwww yes you are correct, the 16th is when we leave. Right now I want to make the 1:30 tunnel but we will see. Might have to settle for the 2:30, we shall see. Gonna be a good time!!

  12. #12

    Default

    Just got back from a quick two day fishing trip in the Sound and saw 3 blackies in Passage Canal. One was a real toad. Two of the bears were within sight of the boat harbor. Fishing was ok, limits of yelloweye and a couple of halibut and some pollock and shrimp. Stocking up and heading out for the week long muzzleloader hunt.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    712

    Default 18-22nd weather???

    I'm going out the 18-22nd. Should be fun, never done it before. Not really sure I want to pull the trigger on another bear. The cheap part is shooting the bear then you always feel like you have to do something with the hide. Shrimp, rockfish and tons of pics will make the trip worth it for me. If a 6'6 bear steps out I just may have to pull the trigger

    Looks like I will need my rain gear, anyone got a descent weather report? I'm not the one behind the wheel on the boat, I'm just wondering what type of weather I'm getting into.

  14. #14
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Here is a link to the 5-day: http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/marfcst.php...K51PAFC#PKZ125

    We saw 8 last weekend and we weren't looking for them. Spring is 10 days ahead of the normal out there this year. We even had leaves out where we were and mosquitoes, too.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  15. #15
    Member Roland on the River's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,690

    Default

    Between today and the 18th you have 7 changes going on. you know, wind, rain, snow sun etc. etc. check this site wunderground.com
    for the latest. Hope this helps.

  16. #16
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman View Post
    Not really sure I want to pull the trigger on another bear. The cheap part is shooting the bear then you always feel like you have to do something with the hide.
    You're a science teacher, right? Just tan the hide and hang it from a hook in your classroom. I teach Biology and I've got all kinds of dead things around the room for the students to study (and for ambiance, of course ). Tanning a hide doesn't cost all that much (and in my opinion, it looks just as good if not better than a full-on rug when a tanned hide is simply hanging from a hook).

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You're a science teacher, right? Just tan the hide and hang it from a hook in your classroom. I teach Biology and I've got all kinds of dead things around the room for the students to study (and for ambiance, of course ). Tanning a hide doesn't cost all that much (and in my opinion, it looks just as good if not better than a full-on rug when a tanned hide is simply hanging from a hook).
    Oh trust me I have all sorts of stuff hanging in my room. Check out my class pics page:


    http://www.matsuk12.us/1768209381841...te/default.asp? If it doesn't work paste it in and put the ? mark on it. Elephant skull, giraffe hide, skulls, 22 whitetail, 3 shoulder mounts, moose antlers, caribou racks, plus I'm working on my fur collection. As an end of the year extra credit project I told them they can make caches or fish wheels, fun classroom.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    What do you folks use for footwear when hunting bears in PWS? I have a choice of high leather boots or hip boots.
    Tennessee

  19. #19
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    What do you folks use for footwear when hunting bears in PWS? I have a choice of high leather boots or hip boots.
    Hip boots or muck boots. I throw a pair of leather hiking boots in the big boat just in case we decide to chase a black fuzzy up where the goats are. I haven't put them on yet.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    What do you folks use for footwear when hunting bears in PWS? I have a choice of high leather boots or hip boots.
    Out of those two options, HIP BOOTZ!!!!!!
    I prefer lightweight chest waders...

    Western side of the sound has turned into a gong show...at least thats what I saw last year. Makes me sad, and longing for the days of pitch black on the back of a railroad car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •