Thread: Ruger 5 shot cylinder blank

Default Ruger 5 shot cylinder blank

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...CYLINDER_BLANK

Anybody have any experience with these? Like who could complete it and cost? Midway sells what looks to be the identical piece at $229. I was thinking it would be a neat way to build a "poor mans" Linebaugh[sp].

that looks like a great idea! i would check with "gary reeder" for an example, and price a trade-in vs custom job. good luck!!
    www.reedercustomguns.com/ ē
    happy trails.
    jh

I think you're still looking at a significant cost to complete the gun. The timing of the gun has to be changed to provide the 72 degrees of cylinder rotation vs. the factory 60 degree rotation, the cylinder has to be line bored and reamed for each chamber, and you need a new barrel fit assuming you're going for a 475 or 500. I could see that adding upwards of $1000 on top of the cost of the base gun and the cylinder.

Jack Huntington does excellent work and is fairly reasonable.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Also Paul, he could just pull a cylinder out of SRH, send the gun back to Ruger, and get a new .454 cylinder for $200.

Then you could make a sweet custom RH. Of course Snyd is all over this on another thread so I won't delve too deeply.

Just a thought, cool idea btw.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

The question was in regards to a 5 shot super blackhawk. A 454 srh cylinder isn't going to do him much good.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Try Charles Clements, http://www.clementscustomguns.com/home.html. He does awesome work and will take jobs that are not "packages" like Bowen and some others. He's quick too, I had a new cylinder fitted, action tune, refinishing, custom front sight post and bowen rear sight done and the gun was back in my hands in 4 months.
    Before you buy one it may be best to find a pistolsmith who's willing to use that part and get a professional opinion on the quality of the part.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I think you're still looking at a significant cost to complete the gun. The timing of the gun has to be changed to provide the 72 degrees of cylinder rotation vs. the factory 60 degree rotation, the cylinder has to be line bored and reamed for each chamber, and you need a new barrel fit assuming you're going for a 475 or 500. I could see that adding upwards of $1000 on top of the cost of the base gun and the cylinder.

Jack Huntington does excellent work and is fairly reasonable.
    Yup, there is significant work that goes into finishing the cylinder. Huntington has done four customs for me and two were 5-shot SRHs -- one in .475 and one in .500 Linebaugh. He is very reasonable and fast. He's working on my .500 Maximum now......

Default Costs etc.

What are typical costs for these types of conversions and how does the quality etc. of these compare to a Freedom Arms gun? Is the advantage to get custom calibers or are there other advantages?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitworth View Post
    Yup, there is significant work that goes into finishing the cylinder. Huntington has done four customs for me and two were 5-shot SRHs -- one in .475 and one in .500 Linebaugh. He is very reasonable and fast. He's working on my .500 Maximum now......
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    The question was in regards to a 5 shot super blackhawk. A 454 srh cylinder isn't going to do him much good.
    Thanks for pointing that out, my mistake.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    What are typical costs for these types of conversions and how does the quality etc. of these compare to a Freedom Arms gun? Is the advantage to get custom calibers or are there other advantages?
    For a basic 5-shot conversion, meaning a barrel and cylider on your frame it runs about $1600.00 if Huntington does it. Costs go up with options. There are huge advantages in that the gun is being made to your specifications and desires.

Thanks for the cost estimate - I was figuring on $2- $3,000 with the cost of the gun.

It is hard to put a worth on desires but assuming one doesn't want something odd what do you spec on custom revolver that makes it worth the cost to you? I'm just curious - not critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitworth View Post
    For a basic 5-shot conversion, meaning a barrel and cylider on your frame it runs about $1600.00 if Huntington does it. Costs go up with options. There are huge advantages in that the gun is being made to your specifications and desires.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Tempting . . . tempting!

I have a 45 Colt Blackhawk thatís all beat that I could play with. So Iíd need to do what for 454 . . . fit the cylinder, change the timing, line bough, chamber, and set the gap? Donít sound half bad as I have done most of that stuff before. Iíve not clearance a frame but that should be easy enough. What causes pause is Iíve never changed the timing and that could be tricky to figure out, fun, but tricky.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Maybe a little more $$$ than I thought, but I had no plans to rebarrel- a 5 shot .45 colt loaded to .454 levels is plenty good for what I need, and components easy to come by. And Alpine, good idea to arrange the work first that cly would make a mighty expensive paper weight if no one would work with it.
    Seems like I remember hearing Linebaugh would only accept new unfired guns for conversion but thats just him.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Thanks for the cost estimate - I was figuring on $2- $3,000 with the cost of the gun.

It is hard to put a worth on desires but assuming one doesn't want something odd what do you spec on custom revolver that makes it worth the cost to you? I'm just curious - not critical.
    Hang on, what do you consider odd? Grip frame is a big one for me. I don't particularly care for the plow handle and much prefer the Bisley. Then, a good set of custom grips that properly fit your hand, etc. Sights that better work for your eyes, finish -- color case hardened, blued, etc. There's a whole slew off stuff that will make any revolver better.

The post prior you mentioned wildcats. What wildcats are you talking about? The .475 and .500 Linebaughs, .500 JRH, etc. are all production calibers. There are loading components readily available and factory ammo as well. I mentioned the .500 Maximum previously. That is the cartridge the .500 Smith was based on.

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Maybe a little more $$$ than I thought, but I had no plans to rebarrel- a 5 shot .45 colt loaded to .454 levels is plenty good for what I need, and components easy to come by. And Alpine, good idea to arrange the work first that cly would make a mighty expensive paper weight if no one would work with it.
    Seems like I remember hearing Linebaugh would only accept new unfired guns for conversion but thats just him.
    Jim, John Linebaugh isn't the only game in town. I had a 5-shot .475 Linebaugh built on a .480 Ruger SRH and was able to retain the factory barrel. It was quite a bit cheaper to build. It all depends on the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post

Often times changing the barrel will definately improve accuracy. But that is not always the case, as in Whitworth's build. Whit had a 480 Ruger in a SRH and he wanted a 5 shot 475, his revolver was accurate so he kept to factory barrel. Whitworth's revolver shooots very well indded and he saved the price od a barrel change