Thread: MSR Stove Carrying Case

Default MSR Stove Carrying Case

Was wondering what others are using to carry their msr stoves in their packs. I have the wisperlite international and tried the cooking pot but it won't fit and I'm not crazy about the bag it comes in. Any ideas will be appreciated.

RJ

If I may rephrase the question...I'm concerned with the fuel line end that goes into the pump either getting damaged or tearing a hole in my gear while it's in my pack. Thanks again.

RJ

I carry an MSR Dragonfly and it came with a stuff sack. I take the fuel line and wrap it over the stove and hook it to one of the legs using the locking wire which has a hook end. It keeps it out of the way. I think the Whisperlite has the same design? The stuff sack seems to offer plenty of protection, I've never had a problem.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

I also just use the bag it comes with. Sometimes I leave the pump in the fuel bottle, sometimes not.

My Whisperlite is 20 yrs old . I don't think it came with a bag. I leave the pump in the bottle & put the rest in a ziplock (As much to keep other stuff clean as to protect the stove) with the hose looped like EagleRiverDee.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Thanks for the responses. I see now that the hose will bend back that far, I guess i was afraid of damaging it by trying to hook it on the legs. Thanks again.

RJ

Worry about the pump breaking, melting, or getting stepped on. I take two for this reason as I see the pump as by far the weakest link. I emailed MSR about the pump and they confirmed that they intentionally use plastic pumps so in failure they would melt rather than explode. A liability driven decision no doubt, but protect your pump. Don't worry so much about the hose. I also take a MSR repair kit and two stoves. We store ours in a padded cube like below. Not on the trip itself, but for protection when flying our gear up on commercial airlines in heavily loaded duffel bags.

http://www.eaglecreek.com/packing_so...e-Small-41092/

Great info here on using these stoves, maintenance, cold weather usage, priming, etc....

http://therucksack.tripod.com/rations.htm#msrstoves

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.