Thread: Spike Camp, Bivy, or Siwash...

Default Spike Camp, Bivy, or Siwash...

When your Backpack'in (and/or) away from base camp, what do you use to keep the chill/rain off?

I've got a small Bivy shelter just big enough for me and my gear weighs just about 2lbs and packs smaller than a loaf of bread...never let me down yet (5yrs and counting).
    Hunt not with a gun big enough for what you are hunting, hunt with a gun big enough for what may be hunting you!

Wink

Gs, traded up from a one man bivy tent with fiberglass poles,I don"t trust them had two brake on me, to a Golite hut 1 tarp with titanium stakes. This is the first year that I hope to use it, 15 oz. minus stakes. Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

I carry bivies for emergency use, but for planned spikes I much prefer a 2-man Flashlight. Simply a lot more room, but still only 3 pounds. Bivies just don't cut it for me when weather confines you to a tent for several days in a row.

Default Coleman Peak 1

Quote Originally Posted by LongHunter7 View Post
    Gs, traded up from a one man bivy tent with fiberglass poles,I don"t trust them had two brake on me, to a Golite hut 1 tarp with titanium stakes. This is the first year that I hope to use it, 15 oz. minus stakes. Bill
    LH, I'm assuming that the poles broke on you? Bought mine a few years back for a one time backpack trip accross of of the Great Northern Trail in Michigan. My tent is just a little bigger than my cabela's one man bivy. I guess its rated for 2 according to the manufacturer, but no way I'd sleep 2 in it unless it was an emergency. It's rain fly is oversize enough that it has a small vestibule on either side big enough for a pack, dual entry, and one aluminum pole. All that pack into a smaller bag than my Cabela's bivy. It's a Coleman Peak 1, not the top of the line but I tell ya...it's got some miles and use out of it. Well worth the $90 I paid for it 5yrs ago!
    Hunt not with a gun big enough for what you are hunting, hunt with a gun big enough for what may be hunting you!

Gshepherd;

I use a 3 season 3 man north face tent for back packing and hunting it's kinda heavy and big but I like the extra room and it's no fun being stuck in one of those little bitty 1 or 2 man tents for a week while it rains cats and dogs outside.Besides I normally have the wife or at least one of the dogs with me. The guy's who can sleep 2 in a 2 man tent are alot smaller than me 6'3" and 210lbs.Or alot freindlier with there tent mate than I'd care too be.

Default My bivy

is for when I don't make it to my iddy biddy 2 man spike camp tent. My bivy weighs only 10oz. but always leaves camp with me in the am....'cause you never know how the day will play out...

Wink

Gs, you guessed right! the glass poles broke. The first time it was cold 7-10 f thought I put to much stress on one side, the next time mid 30"s, and I could find no replacment. I was forced to use a small sapling as a temp. repair. My cousin had a bivy, slumberjack?? He had no trouble with his on the same trip. Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default Slumberjack

Quote Originally Posted by LongHunter7 View Post
    Gs, you guessed right! the glass poles broke. The first time it was cold 7-10 f thought I put to much stress on one side, the next time mid 30"s, and I could find no replacment. I was forced to use a small sapling as a temp. repair. My cousin had a bivy, slumberjack?? He had no trouble with his on the same trip. Bill.
    I've heard good things about Slumberjack! I've got a buddy bought a small 2man and a bag from them 3yrs ago....no problems....says it's the best gear he's owned. FYI

Default Bivy

If I am sheep or goat hunting I put a small two man tent up at the laniding strip then we backpack hunt. I use a OR bivy sack and have used it for the last 10 years. I just purchased the Marmot EQ sleeping bag that is waterproof, but I will still take my bivy.

If I am on a Moose hunt I don't take it. I will only hunt within a mile or so from camp. Learned the hard way and had to pack a moose 5 miles once and will never ever do that again.

What kind of bivy sack do you have that would weigh 2lbs?